Wanted Items wanted by individuals. Abuse of this forum will lead to loss of your posting privledges.

Wtb: Rear Upper Control Arm (i Think?)

Old 06-08-2010 | 01:13 PM

Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

^^^

Can you give some more info on the rust removal you did? Did you take it to a shop or DIY? Did you sand/wire wheel/weld new stuff?

Sorry for all the ?'s but I'm planning on doing some very extensive rust remove and need all the info I can get.
Old 06-08-2010 | 02:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

What part of the car are you trying to remove rust from?
Old 06-08-2010 | 06:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tib1

I have the control arms for $10 bucks. http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=33916

Also I live in Florida When I was looking into swapping the gk rear cross-member for the 5-lug.. the Junk yards around here wanted from $75-125 for them Im sure shipping would rape you but i could see about going and seeing if they would let me takes pics and see if they could ship one to you.. but i couldn't do it till Friday.

If you wanna take a look at there website http://www.jimsimport.com/ you can fill out a request part forum also
Old 06-09-2010 | 07:15 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon SE

QUOTE (Winston @ Jun 8 2010, 04:13 PM)
^^^

Can you give some more info on the rust removal you did? Did you take it to a shop or DIY? Did you sand/wire wheel/weld new stuff?

Sorry for all the ?'s but I'm planning on doing some very extensive rust remove and need all the info I can get.

Kinda unrelated to the topic, but I'll answer because I'm a nice guy. tongue.gif

I brought it to a shop to get done, spent over $4500 by the end of it. What he did was replace the rocker pannels underneath (rusted beyond repair), I bought new front fenders and he installed/painted those, and used the metal from the old front fenders to cut and weld pieces onto the rear fenders above the wheels where there was some heavy rust. The front fenders were rust-free, so it was safe to use them. I must say he did an awesome job with that because you'd need a magnifying glass to see any hint of the weld job. I had to come back about a month later because I saw rust bubbling out of the hood, so I just bought a new hood and he painted it for free. I kept the stock blue color, but asked him to add a metallic flake to it, so it literally sparkles in the sunshine. smile.gif

This kinda work you don't do on your own unless you know what you're doing. You most likely won't end up removing all the rust and it can end up looking worse than what you started off with.

Oh, and to you JC, I think I might take you up on those control arms, depending on how soon I hear back from Hyundai. The control arms look to be in very good shape too. I'll get back to you if I need them, thanks!
Old 06-09-2010 | 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

For that kind of money, if you weren't in Ontario I'd say it was time to look for a new car. Good luck finding one up there in less-bad condition though.

edited to add: P.S. that kind of welding is the next thing to actual magic. The men with the skills to do it well, earn their pay. Do NOT try this at home!
Old 06-09-2010 | 12:35 PM

^^^^

I have the money to go out and buy a newer/nicer car, but I developped a strong personal taste for mine and probably couldn't afford the insurance/maintenance on another car, despite the fact that my father is a very-well trained mechanic. The only brands of cars I can get parts at dealer cost are Hyundai, Honda and Toyota, because those are the places my father has connections at. I'd sooner pour acid down my throat before buying a Civic/Prelude and the only Toyota's worth getting are the MR2 or the Supra, but finding a decent LHD one up here is next to impossible, and insuring a RHD one is painfully expensive. That doesn't include the higher amount of maintenance that has to go on cars with turbos. For now I'll just throw my money at this car and keep it running/looking good. My grandfather bought a Datsun 240Z in the early 70's and never consdered it a great car, but it turns heads to this day. I figure I can do the same with mine. I'll get a decent every-day car once I'm out of school and have a steady job and keep the Tiburon as a weekend driver.

BUT FOR NOW... I'd just like to get this rusty crossmember replaced, otherwise I can forget about that dream. tongue.gif
Old 06-10-2010 | 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

Thanks for all the info Nick. That is definitely something I would like to get done, but OUCH... 4,500 eek5.gif

P.S. that kind of welding is the next thing to actual magic. The men with the skills to do it well, earn their pay. Do NOT try this at home!

Are you talking about the welds on the body over the rear fender?

Back on topic: I called some junk yards and one has a rear sub-frame from an 01. I could probably get it to you for 125 shipped but it might not be any better than yours(I'm in the rust belt).

Also here are some ebay links. They don't have pics though and I'm not sure what a k-frame is.
Linky #1
Linky #2
Old 06-10-2010 | 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Rocker panels and rear quarters on a unibody car = not easy to do right.
Old 06-11-2010 | 11:46 AM

QUOTE (Winston @ Jun 10 2010, 05:06 PM)
Thanks for all the info Nick. That is definitely something I would like to get done, but OUCH... 4,500 eek5.gif

Yeah, but I went to a well-reputed body shop in my city. The guy completely restored my friend's father's Corvette and GTO to the point where they looked like they just came out of the factory. I vistited 3 or 4 body shops, some in small towns near me and they were offering to do the work for $3,000 but one look at their shop and the kind of cars they work on (old Sunfires and Cavaliers) told me that I should increase my budget. At $4,500, he was the most expensive of the bunch, but by far the most professional and clean looking business. Have a look around at your local body shops and point out EXACTLY what you want done (otherwise they will cut corners and "forget" about some obvious things) and try to bargain them down a little; summer time is their slowest time of the year usually (winter = most accidents, body shops = busy).

Also, regarding those ebay links you provided: those are excellent! I'll contact the seller and see if they can send me pictures of the part. They are located in Fort Erie, Ontario --> Rust belt territory... So I have the feeling it might be in crap condition. I'll wait until I hear back from Hyundai and then maybe just buy the part from this guy. Excellent find, and I thank you very much for pulling it up for me!