Wanted Items wanted by individuals. Abuse of this forum will lead to loss of your posting privledges.

WTB:Need Alternator... Please...

Old 02-04-2006 | 09:56 PM

I was wondering if anybody has an alternator for the RD1. Mine isn't dead yet, but it will be at any moment. It's only a matter of time. Also, I was wondering if anybody knows how to replace the battery cables. Mine have old dried up battery acid on them. Can't tell from where tho. The batter I have doesn't seem to have a leak. For all I know, it's not battery acid. lol... Anyway, I can post pictures if it'll help. I'd buy one from Autozone for $180, but that's a whole paycheck a this time of the year. Thanks guys.
Old 02-04-2006 | 09:56 PM

I was wondering if anybody has an alternator for the RD1. Mine isn't dead yet, but it will be at any moment. It's only a matter of time. Also, I was wondering if anybody knows how to replace the battery cables. Mine have old dried up battery acid on them. Can't tell from where tho. The batter I have doesn't seem to have a leak. For all I know, it's not battery acid. lol... Anyway, I can post pictures if it'll help. I'd buy one from Autozone for $180, but that's a whole paycheck a this time of the year. Thanks guys.
Old 02-04-2006 | 10:17 PM

Check car-part.com. I found one from an Elantra through that site, located within an hour's drive. It was like new, and only $35. My old one was fine, only the belt tensioner bolt broke off. once I get a spare bracket for it I'll sell it cheap.

Battery cables are easy. It might not be battery acid, I believe that carrying current can cause the low quality metal to eventually corrode on it's own. You should pick up some battery terminal dressing, that you brush on to prevent corrosion.

Instead of replacing, you might consider doing part or all of the Big 3 upgrade in the DIY forum. Complete replacement is a bit more work. I completely replaced my positive cable, you have to unwrap a lot of loom to do it.
Old 02-04-2006 | 10:17 PM

Check car-part.com. I found one from an Elantra through that site, located within an hour's drive. It was like new, and only $35. My old one was fine, only the belt tensioner bolt broke off. once I get a spare bracket for it I'll sell it cheap.

Battery cables are easy. It might not be battery acid, I believe that carrying current can cause the low quality metal to eventually corrode on it's own. You should pick up some battery terminal dressing, that you brush on to prevent corrosion.

Instead of replacing, you might consider doing part or all of the Big 3 upgrade in the DIY forum. Complete replacement is a bit more work. I completely replaced my positive cable, you have to unwrap a lot of loom to do it.
Old 02-04-2006 | 10:57 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I replaced mine from Autozone. Works great. It was a little pricey, 175 I believe, but it has a LIFETIME warranty. Since I have a system in the car, this is great for me. When it dies again, no problemo! Returno, Exchango, Fixo! smile.gif
Old 02-04-2006 | 10:57 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I replaced mine from Autozone. Works great. It was a little pricey, 175 I believe, but it has a LIFETIME warranty. Since I have a system in the car, this is great for me. When it dies again, no problemo! Returno, Exchango, Fixo! smile.gif
Old 02-07-2006 | 12:04 AM

Ok. I'll check around a little. Above all else tho, I'm trying to get a cheap alternator to hold me over until I have the money to buy a really good one that will last a good while. You know? Anyway, an alternator is not all I need. Spark plugs, plug wires, injecters (probably), tany oil change, throw-out bearing, clutch (in due time), etc. etc. But I'll keep looking around. No impulse shopping here. lol... Thanks.
Old 02-07-2006 | 12:27 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I saw a good-priced one on ebay not too long ago, and I believe TibbyChick was selling hers at a very low price as well..
Old 02-07-2006 | 08:43 PM

^^ Tibbychick has sold hers already and I couldn't find an alternator for any car on ebay. Oh well... Beleive it or not, I was able to get a good alternator from pick n' pull for my girlfriend's storm for $35. Yes. My girlfriend and I both owned (past tense) Storms. Infact that's partially how we met. Doubt anybody cares tho. lol... Anyway, I'm not exactly in a hurry for an alternator but it'd be nice to have one when mine goes bad. If it is...

On that note, what are the tell-tell signs af a "souring" alternator? I want to say that it's when the lights go dim when rolling the window(s) down/up or when the lights brighten when you accelerate. Right? What do I know, huh? I only have 1 year of high school auto plus watching those "DIY" auto shows on TNN/Spike TV and Speed Chanel. lol... One da I'll go to UTI and get a real ed-u-macation. lol...

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 02-07-2006 | 10:16 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i can get you a alternator from a elantra this weekend if you want
problem is i donno if it works and there is no warranties but the motor does have like 75k on it so it should still be good cost is about 45 shipped i would say(thats a rough guess but shouldnt be more than that)

and yes the alternator from the elantra will work on a tib