Wanted Items wanted by individuals. Abuse of this forum will lead to loss of your posting privledges.

Wtb: Auto Trans

Old 11-25-2009, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys Finally Took My Car To The Dealer To FInd Out Whats Wrong With My Trans And Its Official Its Shot. Its A 98' Automatic 2.0. Please Help.

Jeff
Old 11-25-2009, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

Hey man I may be able to help you out. I can get my hands on an auto tranny with only 50k on it from a local junkyard. If you want I can pick it up for you and you could reimburse me plus shipping to to send it to you. Unless you're local then we could meet. But the only thing wrong with the tranny is that two solenoids on top of the tranny are missing. So Im guessing you would have to use the ones from yours and jus swap them over. The tranny came from a 2000 elantra 2.0, so it should fit. Lemme know what you wanna do man.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:24 PM

^^^

im not sure if i would be able to use mine because i think the dealer pulled a few bad solenoid codes. but i really appreciate it man
Old 11-25-2009, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

Well I jus got off of the phone with the guy who had it and I could get it saturday for you if you really want it. Its low mileage and should run decently with only 50k on it. The guy wasnt sure if it was a solenoid or a sensor, but said it bolted on the top of it. Im not an auto tranny guy so I have no clue. He said that he may have one of them. But it push comes to shove, jus take one from an auto tranny from a junker car or whatnot. Im willing to help you out man. OO and btw, dont quote the post above yours. Its a site rule, lol.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

Hey kitcar, please use the add reply buttom from the bottom of threads. We don't like to see quotes of entire posts from just above yours. Makes too much clutter.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 5spd

I see you're pretty new to the forums, so I'd like to nudge you towards an auto to manual swap. The automatic transmissions in our tiburons are like time delayed hand grenades, replacing it will only delay the inevitable. I should know, my automatic grenaded and I swapped it for a manual. They're pretty much the same price, minus the extra parts you'll need to get. It's a world of difference, and it's actually not that difficult to do.

Currently there's three good write-ups on swapping, loaded with pictures, and Bommello is working on his swap right now and his thread has an exact list of everything you'd need. If nothing else, consider it. I did it and I'd recommend it to EVERYONE.

Just search for auto to manual swap and you'll get all the answers you need.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Not to mention that if you get stuck or have a question not already answered, we will be happy to help you out.

My only suggestion would be to get a wrecked (not front-end wrecked) or maybe a timing-belt-snapped 1997-2000 Elantra or Tiburon with a manual tranmission, for parts, and go from there. When you're done, you then sell a bunch of parts off it here, then sell the car to a junkyard. You should AT LEAST break even, compared to the cost of your first automatic transmission.

My automatic was eating itself away inside. I did the conversion, and I'd recommend it to everyone also.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:34 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

If it will save you any trouble at all.. I've got pretty much everything you'll need to swap to a manual transmission (from a 1998 Hyundai Tiburon). Ready to ship..
Old 11-26-2009, 01:10 PM

what would i need besides your trans swap kit? and how much? im seriously considering it.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

The Elantra auto trans probably won't work. I tried this about 18 months ago with no success.
Back then I checked with the dealer and found that even the RD1 and RD2 had different part number for their Trans, and according to the computer print out even even had slightly different designs. The GK Tib and Elantra units seem to be totally out. Considering all of the hell that the auto trans has caused me to date I would more than highly recommend the auto-to-manual swap. I even blew through 3 additional end bearings in the 12 months of warranty I got on the resulting repair totally changing my driving habits.

Just my 2¢
Good luck! fing02.gif

On that note I still have super low mileage XD auto still sitting in the garage if anyone is in need.