Wanted Items wanted by individuals. Abuse of this forum will lead to loss of your posting privledges.

Wtb: Alienware Desktop Computer

Old 03-26-2006 | 08:37 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

Im looking into purchasing a new computer. I want to spend in the vicinity of $2000.00 and I need it to be an ULTIMATE GAMING SYSTEM. Alienware computers seem like a good choice but i dont know quite what model to look for. I would like at least: 3+ghz processor, High end Ge-Force/ATI PCIE card, 100+ GB Hard Drive bla bla bla. I dont know much about AMD processors other than their better for gaming thats it. Ebay looks like the place to buy an Alienware. Please help me out.

If anyone finds a good deal on PREFERABLY an Alienware Desktop system, please let me know. Post some links.

Thanks, wink1.gif
Old 03-26-2006 | 11:09 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Dell Dimensions compete with alien ware computers at a more reasonable price fing02.gif

but you don't get the name "alienware" stamped on the front and a really cool tower.
Old 03-26-2006 | 11:41 PM

Alienware is actually a wholly owned subsidiary of Dell... they bought them out and still are letting them run with the name. Why dont you just have one custom built? For the money you'll spend on an alienware im sure you can save a little cash and get just as much performance if not more.
Old 03-27-2006 | 03:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ok, here's the run down.

dell = cheap crap
alienware = expensive good stuff

what i build = best! lmao.gif

I'll build you a machine for parts + 200. I'll even pick out the parts for the Ultimate gaming machine.
Old 03-27-2006 | 06:52 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^ i wouldn't say cheap, they take the time to figure out what goes with what. You can't just throw together a computer and expect it to be a gaming machine. it takes some work to ensure things will work together flawlessly. Any larger corperation cannot afford to throw together cheap crap for their high end. Even a small business cannot afford to do that. But with the way dell's tech support works, if you sound like you know what you're doing, they'll send the hard drive to you and you can change it out and send it back to them.
I was happy with my dell until it took a hard blow by an M16 in iraq and died. So i had to bury it properly.
Attachment 145

I'm not all about buying prebuilt, I have a custom computer which i put together 5 years ago, it's now my media center. I'm currently on my HP laptop because it was a good value.
Old 03-27-2006 | 08:29 PM

well the reason i don't like dells are they aren't really all that great for the money you spend + you want to upgrade your motherboard later it will be a pain. and you have to buy it from dell. or even if it dies.

and when they sell individual parts it's very expensive. so once your warranty runs up then it's pretty much toss the thing out the window and start over. or take the few salvagable parts and build your own.

Or if you start out with a custom just recycle what you want, upgrade what you want. I'm on the 3rd reincarnation of my computer in this case. pretty much everythings replaced now with new parts and each time only cost about 500 or so and I have a really really nice gaming machine. you can't do that with a dell.
Old 03-27-2006 | 08:37 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

Thanks for the input guys. I think I found my system that im going with though...

http://robotnik.com/product.php?prod...&cat=41&page=1

Old 03-27-2006 | 08:39 PM

looks nice dont have time to look at the specs right now... check out newegg.com also they sometimes have some good deals
Old 03-28-2006 | 12:00 PM

Sorry, looks like all their deals are for laptops!

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/60420
Old 03-28-2006 | 01:40 PM

hehe, that robotnik computer is pretty much exactly the same as mine, just i have a athlon 3200 instead of a 4000 (200 vs. 330), i've got an asus 6600gt instead of the msi 7900gt 150 vs. 400 dollar card (both great brands). and my hdd is a western digital. i even have the same speakers. (all that to say it's build with the best bits)

that computer will be able to play any game possible at highest res. for quite some time to come. that's a pretty good price on it.

edit: btw, with my computer i finally got to start playing max payne 2 about a month ago. (it's a bit older, came out a couple years ago) and I can play it with highest everything and it's flawless.)