Wanted Items wanted by individuals. Abuse of this forum will lead to loss of your posting privledges.

cat back exhaust and headers

Old 12-02-2004 | 12:24 PM

Default Re: McIntyre Tib what?

I am looking for either someone selling this stuff or a good place to buy this stuff from. thanks
Old 12-02-2004 | 12:31 PM

Default cat back exhaust and headers

There's a Group Buy for Headers on this site, look at the Group Buy's Forum, very fine headers at a good price.
Make your own catback at a muffler shop, it's much cheaper and you will only notice differences if your engine is heavily moded and the exhaust is completely free (and LOUD of course).
Old 12-02-2004 | 12:35 PM

Default Re: cat back exhaust and headers

how do they make it???? and what about a muffler??? sorry if these are stupid questions i just dont know hardly anything about cars.
Old 12-02-2004 | 12:46 PM

Default Re: I need some help on making a decision

You either buy a muffler from the shop, or you can provide your own.

They make it by measuring the lengths and bends and then putting the pipe into a bender.

Most shops use a crush bender, but you should find a shop that has a mandrel bender.
Old 12-02-2004 | 12:50 PM

Default Re: cat back exhaust and headers

Well, let's just start pointing that you can get a state of the art catback exhaust from a well known manufacturer, stainless steel, mirror polished on the inside (and outside for sure) and it will be better than any OEM performancewise, and there is the cost.... probably really high.

On the other hand, you can go to a muffler shop and ask them to make you a "copy" of your own exhaust, but with a bigger diameter pipe, and with no resonators or mufflers i nthe middle, just free on the inside straight to the end (where you should put a muffler). That should be MUCH cheaper, like somebody said, between 150 and 200 installed.

Which one is better, depends on what you're looking for, performancewise, I'd save the $$ difference to invest in other bolt ons, a camshaft, CAI, headers, etc, because theres probably less than 2HP between a brand catback and a custom one (IF there is really any).

What you have to keep in mind is you want 2,25" inch piping, mandrel bent, that's the ideal, if you can not find any place that will make it with mandrel bents, another not as good option is to go for 2,5" piping, crush bent or press bent (the most common bents, OEM is like it).

Another advantage on a custom setup is you can really live test the sound, because if you don't know and it's too loud with a brand catback, there's nothing you can do about it, in the custom setup you can be there and test while they are making it if you agree with the exhaust loudness and note.

Only if you are commited to squeaze the last HP out of your engine, no matter the noise (or if you're going turbo) the brand catbacks should be a comparable price/value alternative.

Well that's how I see it, of course there are as many opinions as people in this comunity...
Old 12-02-2004 | 12:56 PM

Default Re: Air Ram Compatible Strut Bar Pics!!!

i understand everything except the muffler part. do i not need a muffler or what? I have no clue on anything with cars i am sorry. thanks for all your help i would be lost without you guys
Old 12-02-2004 | 01:15 PM

Default Re: Ground effects problem

Highest performance at any cost would require no muffler at all, BUT it will be ANNOYING as hell to drive the car like that; plus, it will give you the highest HP numbers, but only above 5500rpm or so, if you don't know much about cars, then let me tell you, that's NOT what you want.

The more mufflers you put on it, the quieter, but also you are creating more restrictions to airflow. Try using a Glasspack (perforated core, NOT louverd core) and a mufflers that actually has something on the inside, do not use those can-like empty mufflers. Try Magnaflow, Summit or something else with some kind of packing on the inside to deaden the vibrations and high notes a little and you will be fine. Single chamber mufflers (though they might have packing) create less resistance to airflow.
Old 12-02-2004 | 01:20 PM

Default Re: I need some help on making a decision

all right sounds good. so i want a cat back exhaust with no muffler. is dual exhaust good or not good??? I am sorry for asking so many questions
Old 12-02-2004 | 01:25 PM

Default Re: Air Ram Compatible Strut Bar Pics!!!

QUOTE (Phenomenal_Thunder)
all right sounds good. so i want a cat back exhaust with no muffler. is dual exhaust good or not good??? I am sorry for asking so many questions

With no muffler ON THE MIDDLE but you will put a muffler at the rear end... you need at some point some little back pressure or your car will be a lazy cow on lower to mid rpm's and that can make it slower even it it has a few more HP's on top... remember you don't go madly after highest HP number only, you want also a good torque curve...
Use the muffler at the end, and a perforated core glasspack, it could cost you like 0,5HP but you will be very happy you put it there.
Old 12-02-2004 | 01:33 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated
Default Re: Show me your beater.

Doode...you WANT a muffler
and you DO NOT WANT a dual set-up. Go with a mandrel bend stainless steel catback with a muffler of your choice. Wait until more info from the Mussa exhaust system comes out and buy one of theirs. Don't ask me what Mussa is or when there exhaust is coming out...SEARCH this site for your answers.
If you want to know why you DON"T want a dual set-up search the forums.
Basically, any time a question pops in your head search (not only this site their is a wealth of info on the internet...just gotta know where to look and get lucky once in a while). You can get a dual Muffler but don't go with a dual exhaust on your tib. (by dual muffler I mean ONE muffler that goes on the end of your exhaust with dual tips coming out of it).
Good luck