Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

transmission failure

Old 08-17-2002, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well well well. it will be 3 weeks now. no i do not have a rental. the dealer claims that i ruined the car by speed shifting. (what is speed shifting anyways? Is that shifting without a clutch? well i always shift with the clutch even if it is very quick.) they said i was lucky enough for them to cover it under the warranty. F--ken *******s. well, now they claim 2nd gear is jacked up and they are ordering the parts for that gear also. may take another week for a couple days. Im shooting for a week. Hey, I do a lot of downshifting for engine braking. does that jack up your transmission also? what could i have done to jack up my transmission?
Old 08-17-2002, 07:32 PM

Driving it hard....

Speed shifting....

Downshift engine braking....

All that stuff can add up against a 5-speed.
Old 08-18-2002, 02:43 AM

I wouldn't doubt they're waiting for parts. Our number one complaint is that it takes forever for us to get replacement parts in. Unfortunately, customers don't understand we are not the manufacturer and do not build the parts to fix their boats. Most dealers will ground ship parts. Everything we order is shipped UPS Blue and we end up eating the extra shipping costs to try and keep our customers happy. Add to that equations car dealers order from ONE warehouse. We order directly from the plant that manufacturers that particular model boat, which means we deal with about 9 different plants... all of whom manage to screw up orders even when we provide an accurate HIN telling them exactly which color/size we need.
Old 08-18-2002, 04:49 AM

down shifting cannot be used as an excuse for to **** you over. Unless they want to pay for the brake pads you are going to go through not downshifting. Double clutching can prolong the life of your synchros but anytime you shift, the synchros are used and can potentially wear. Except for 1st and second of coarse. Also unless they specifically state the time you must wait from the time the clutch is depressed, to the time the next gear is selected, to the tiem the clutch is released, then it's b.s. to use it against you since they can't prove it otherwise. Lastly, what happens if we need to shift quickly? Like mergeing? Are we supposed to cause a fatal accident or hold up traffic in order to prolong the life of a faulty part?
Old 08-18-2002, 05:26 AM

Elantra2.001
Lastly, what happens if we need to shift quickly? Like mergeing? Are we supposed to cause a fatal accident or hold up traffic in order to prolong the life of a faulty part?[/QB]
There's a difference between shifting like that when the moment arises and speed shifting every time the light turns green.

Not downshifting doesn't wear brake pads anymore than if you did downshift to brake. If that was the case then A/T equipped cars would burn up brake pads more because you are stopping a car that still wants to move forward because the gears are always engaged.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

hi guys...

i wish i had read this sooner...

my tranny went on me about 3 months ago. i think im at fault for most of it though...
a guy at a red light egged me on and so i did...
1st..redline...shift...2nd...redline...****...
nothing....

3rd and 4th gear went. took it in rightaway and was told it might have been the connecting forks and a rebuild was going to be around $2500 (cdn)

i called my dealership and they "happened to have" one in stock...$2100 including install and it was a simple bolt on.

i called the other hyundai dealership and they told me there was no way on earth a tranny could be selling for that price.

im guessing it was a rebuild.

i chose to buy it, and $2100 later i have a new tranny with much better and smoother shifting.

in reading all the posts regarding this topic, i did experience some "grinding" from 1st to 2nd with my old tranny.

random, under the TSB that you mentioned, is it possible to cause a stink about this? take in mind, my tranny went at 143900 kms. if you think it's advisable i will.

maybe i shouldnt even bother?

blk tib, i am not sure how it works in the usa, but as long as something is under warranty, you're not necessarily limited to the dealership you bought it at. we have 2 dealerships here in calgary and i go between both with no problems.

if your dealership has been treating you like crap, which it sounds like definately, then f$#k them, make sure they know you will place every effort in giving negative customer feedback, you will write Hyundai USA about the trouble they've been giving you, write a letter to the dealership owner, telling him of your dismay, including how many contacts (ie-team sr...haha) will know of their business practices...trust me, you'll get what you want. dont let one stupid dealership treat you how they think they should. you are the customer.

-dude
Old 08-18-2002, 05:39 PM

well, the weekend has passed and monday is coming about. I will post on getting my parts or not. they claim that the parts for 2nd gear are in a near by warehouse (hopefully), but i doubt it. well see tomorrow. oh, on the side note, i got some nasty bug bites... just to make me more depressed. oozzing hard and very pink!
Old 08-18-2002, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

How is it they've had your car for three weeks, and just NOW found out that you've fried second gear?

How is it that they've had your car for three weeks and just NOW determined that the cause of failure was driver abuse?

It sounds to me like you are getting the Royal Shaft.

I would call Hyundai's 1-800 number. As to talk to the regional service rep. Ask them to investiate this for you.

#1. If the above were true, it should take them 3 weeeks to figure it out.
#2. If all the above were true, they should have ordered the RIGHT parts a long time ago.
#3. If they dealer really thinks it WAS abuse...why is he covering it under warranty? and again, why did it take him three weeks to threaten you with it?

This is a complete and total load of BS. Properly done, downshifting caused NO ADVERSE EFFECT on the transmission. (at least no more than upshifting). If you HAD abused the transmission, why did Syncro on 3 go, but they blame the gear in #2? More likely is that gear #2 went, which caused the damage to #3 synco on UPSHIFTING not DOWNSHIFTING. If the damage was caused by DOWNSHIFTING, it would be the #2 gear AND synco damaged. The damage to the #3 synco and #2 gear PROVES the damage was UPSHIFT damage, not downshift. They are frickin morons.

If second gear WAS bad, they should have noticed it first thing when they determined the #3 Syncro was bad....They are idots, and they are jacking you around.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:12 AM
K2

Hey blktib,

Sorry about the repair nightmare. What's the dealer's name so we can avoid them later?

Also $4808 for a new 6 speed!!!! S%^$#
F&*^% Damn It. I knew I should have opted for the five speed. Just kidding. I guess I need to save my pennies in case my GT V6 six speed ever takes crapper in ths shifter...?

Let us know when your car gets fixed. Next time I'd find a competent Hyundai focused dealer in your area. Won't Hyndai Customer service recommend a dealer? Guys comments?

K2
Old 08-19-2002, 12:35 PM

Double clutching does prolong the life of synchros, thats established. Regular downshifting should not wear the synchros more, but could slightly cause more wear on the clutch plate because the plate has to spin the motor to a higher rpm. Not much but maybe. Also, down shifting will prolong the life of the pads because you don't need as much effort from the brakes for as long a period.