Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

transmission failure

Old 08-05-2002, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

TSB's are just for "hyundai" use only. They highlight common problems, and common fixes. They are by no means a "recall".

Hyundai is NOT obligated to fix your tranny if your warranty is expired, however, since it is a "known" issue, they usually will cut you SOME slack on the costs (free parts, discounted labor...something). the TSB also gives you some "leverage" if you ever WANTED to play big time hardball and sue Hyundai over the cost of the repairs. It does NOT guarantee that you would win a suit against them, but it gives you a fairly major document in your corner. TSB's are compiled by HMA corporate. They keep track of what repairs on done on what cars, with what frequency. If a part fails often, they issue a TSB on it to the dealer. It's just telling the dealer (hey watch for this problem, if you see it, here's how to fix it the RIGHT way). It, by itself, does not "extend" warranty coverage on parts that are out of warranty, or offer you as the owner any "rights". It is a SMALL admission by hyundai that they know they have a "problem" with certian parts, and want to make sure the dealerships know how to fix them right.

Folks who have walked into dealerships and asked to have notified the dealer of the TSB, and asked to have TSB service work performed have had about a 90% sucess rate under warranty, and about a 50% sucess rate out of warranty. (based off e-mail feedback I get from you guys...thanks guys!!!!)

Koreandude:
All I can say is "Sorry".

I don't think you have any recourse. Since you did not take your car to the dealer, you have no options with Hyundai.(other than to sue AMMCO for overcharging you)

Had you brought it to the dealer, they might have worked something out with you, or they may have just shafted you, but since you didn't give them the chance, you will never know.

I do feel that AMMCO phucked you over and used broken glass rather than vasoline. Used manual trannies are about $500 to $800 bucks. Rebuilt units can be had for as cheap as $500, or as expensive as $1500. Time/labor to remove/replace the entire tranny should not have been over $500 TOPS, $250 realistically. So your bill should not have been over $750 to $1300 for a used tranny, and $750 to $2000 for a rebuilt tranny.

For them to charge you $2230....that's just unbelieveable. For $2230, I'd expect a lifetime guarantee on ALL parts AND labor, AND a weekend away with the owners wife AND daughter.

[ August 05, 2002, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 08-05-2002, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On thursday I'm having my car road tested with a service technician. The car started to "crunch" second gear not long after I had the car, maybe around the 10000 mile mark. It's now 21000 and I've tried changing to synthetic oil and kept my service guy updated. When the tranny is warm, i don't have to even shift fast to make it grind. I think it's got to be the synchro. I don't know what else it could be. We will find out though. Oh yes we will.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:08 PM

Hey Random, you don't have to apologize for anything. I looked at the receipt and all the parts totaled up to $2200 (i can't remember to correct total). Personally i thought it should've been around $1300, $1500 tops but they told me it's cheaper than getting a refurb. tranny. They called the Hyundai dealer for me and i talked to them and they said a "new" 5-speed would be around $2500 for my car. He said all it is, is a rebuilt tranny. They told me my transmission would be a completely rebuilt unit with all new parts. I really was stuck since i had to take it to them so they could crack it open and find out how bad it was. If i would've rejected repair it would've cost me $500. So even if i did go else where and they charged me $1500, in the end i'd be spending about $2000 anyways...($500 rejection fee from AAMCO and $1500 repair for John Doe Trannsmission) I guess i should've assumed the worse since the transaxel was pretty old. oh well, you think i can sue AAMCO?

Rich.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:15 PM

Vehicle: 02 Elantra

For future reference and for others who might be wondering a brand new Hyundai manual trans for Tiburon 1.8L is $1670 retail. It is not $2500 for a rebuilt as he was told. Just don't want people to too nervous. One of my techs is planning an getting a brand new one for his car at a discount since he knows it is probably better than rebuilding his whole trans. Look at the bright side at least you don't have the new 6spd. The retail price on that unit is $4808.

[ August 06, 2002, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Jmontigny ]
Old 08-07-2002, 09:24 AM

man, it has been one week already! what is taking them so long!!!! sad.gif
well there is nothing left to do but wait. I was hoping it would be done tomorrow but now i think that it will be done on friday. but with my luck it won't be done till next week. life is depressing. sad.gif frown
Old 08-07-2002, 05:11 PM

ha ha ha. guess what! the transmission is CRACKED!!! the tech was checking it out and discovered that the casing was cracked. now i have to wait for a new transmission to arrive.
life is funny isn't it
Old 08-07-2002, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

blktib-

Look at the bright side. You are getting a nice new tranny, or at worst, a rebuilt unit that is up to spec. Sure you might be out of a car for 2 weeks, but when you get it back, you'll have a new clutch, maybe a new flywheel, and a new tranny. Not bad!

Granted, things would have been better had it never broken at all, but now you've got a nice shiney new tranny to beat RX-Bandit with at the track!
Old 08-07-2002, 05:20 PM

i think blktib is scared... we havent seen him at a meet in over a year...

blktib VS bandit vs spiffy... oh thats right BaNdIT OoWnZ YoO!!!

Let the bets begin
Old 08-08-2002, 03:24 PM

ughh... well now they are ignoring the crack on the transmission and trying to rebuild it. WHAT THE HELL!!! I even complained about it, but they are trying to hide something behind my back. I thought i could trust these guys. also they were suggesting i get a new clutch for about $250. They are going to just replace the gears and syncros. I don't know what the hell they are doing anymore. they really are starting to piss me off.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:10 PM

10 000km a pin snapped in my 99 Tib. 5 speed, it cracked the metal case, fluid everywhere, towed to the Dealer. 3 days later a new Tranny. Im at 70000km now, put in Clutchmasters Clutch & Aluminum Flywheel. Tranny is sweey, now I just worry about the mounts.

I hope your problem is resolved quickly.

Peace