Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

transmission failure

Old 07-31-2002, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission failure

ahh, the old tiburon has failed me. the syncro on gear three has died. sigh. what to do. well, it is currently in the dealership getting repaired underwarranty, and my take from 3-5 days. so they say. anyone else with transmission whoas? do hyundai transmission break easily? my car now grinds everytime i shift into 3rd. it suck, so hopefully they fix the problem.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:23 PM

The majority of synco failures are abuse or bad driving habits, but usually Hyundai has no problem giving warranty, atleast here in Canada
Old 07-31-2002, 02:53 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Pony

My Pony's tranny is slowly dying. After being in a Stellar for most of it's life, surviving an accident, being mounted wrong the first time AND generating excessive heat, it still works (for now anywas)
Old 07-31-2002, 03:27 PM

My tranny worked great till I let MST drive it ::rolls his eyes::: Now it grinds 2nd and it grinded 3rd once, but it was 3am and I was tired, so maybe I just let the clutch up to quick
Old 07-31-2002, 04:45 PM

my differential got screwed up... and my car grinds on 2nd sometimes

Oh well...

Unfortunatly i have no warranty

hyundai bites
frown
Old 07-31-2002, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Some of the early 97's (revision-A's) had bad syncro's, and those were replaced under warranty via a TSB. Even if your Revision-A is no longer underwarranty, Hyundai should replace the synco's due to the TSB under warranty.

The 1998's and newer have better syncro's, but they are still not *great*. In general, they only seem to fail on *performance* driven cars. (read into that what you will).

As long as the dealership is covering it under warranty, count your blessings. BTW...ask if they are replacing ALL the synco's or just the 3rd gear, or if they are just giving you a new tranny. If they are just giving you a new tranny, ask if it is a *new* tranny or a Hyundai remanufactured unit. I have heard/read several items that leads me to believe that Hyundai uses remanufactured/rebuilt trannies in certian cases.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:25 PM

Vehicle: 02 Elantra

Here is what I have seen as far as trans replacement goes. Hyundai will not replace complete manual transaxle, unless there is a very good reason to. Regardless the DPSM would have to approve the replacement. Manual transmission are all repaired by the dealer. I have not heard of any reman manual trans program as of yet. The automatics are a different story. Hyundai replaces automatic transmissions everyday with reman units. Hyundai only lets the dealer replace basic items on the auto like the end clutch or kickdown servo, any other repairs call for a complete reman unit.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:47 AM
Red

I'm one of the original Rev-A guys, and my tranny had to go in for 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear synchonizers. It has since lived a fairly happy life -- it doesn't grind into gears, BUT it is still fairly notchy.

Here's the reasoning:

First generation sets were all single floating cone type, and were fairly easy to damage. The later sets in the 98-00 models were double cone locking types, and while were still notchy, they were much smoother. These are the ones I currently have in my Rev-A tranny.

Then in later 00 and going forward, the went to a double cone floating. These are BUTTER when shifting, but tend to gripe a bit when shifting very fast.

My "race" transmission that I'm building will use the newest double cone floating synchros just because I love how much better they shift. It's like driving a Honda (my damned 1985 Prelude on ancient gear oil shifts 4x smoother than my current Tiburon tranny even after the rebuild sad.gif )

That's ok tho -- the Prelude grinds when speed-shifting into 3rd Damn POS Honda anyway wink

[ August 01, 2002, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Red ]
Old 08-01-2002, 01:54 AM

Vehicle: 02 Elantra

I have to agree with Red the newest syncros are smooth. Here is my concern however. On my 99 I could shift extremely fast with no problems. On the 02 I shift the same as my 99 but unfortunatly the 1-2 shift crunches when shifting fast. There is no missed shift it simple won't let you shift fast without the grind. This does only happen at the track or a full throttle run shifting at high rpm. I am going to need to slow down my shift in order to keep this syncro in one piece.
Old 08-04-2002, 03:58 PM

tommorow is the 3rd day. I will find out more information. I am so missing my car. they said they are only changing the syncro, not replacing the transmission. I guess this problem could be attributed to bad driving. rolleyes.gif another friend of mine screwed both 2nd and 3rd gears of his transmission on his tib, and he already fixed it before! I guess I sometimes miss the shift when i speed shift into 3rd (my worst problem) and that has taken it toll. I don't think that I will do that again. (a lot of grinding. grrr) otherwise my other gears are smooth as silk. My previous car didn't have this problem. I guess the transmission was stronger. but then again, the car was weaker also. I WANT IT BACK!!!!