Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Clutch Looks Good, Won't Go Into Gear, Lost Pedal Feel

Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 hyundai accent

got it figured out. aftermarket slave cylnder had to strong of a spring in it.

Now the background. all new parts (stocker), new fluid (stocker again), no leaks (stocker again), also another new slave cylnder (stocker again you are my troubleshooting best friend the past week).

heres the problem. the slave cylnder i was getting from orielys was a poor design. i originally replaced the slave cyl in february, clutch failed in june, new clutch slips after install (july), re-replaced slave cyl with no change (july). remembered the slave cyl mod where you remove the spring so I decided to give it a try. when I took it apart the spring was about twice as long/strong as the factory part so i removed the spring and problem solved.

-so in short the slave cylnder was putting just a little pressure on the pressure plate when it was dissengaged, this caused my factory pressure plate to fail a few months after replaceing the cyl with an aftermarket piece. so be careful buying aftermarket parts cause the qualilty is sometimes lower than oem, slave cylnder was not correct and also the autozone clutch is not quite as strong as OEM.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

LOL I wouldn't have known! I got a replacement slave cylinder from O'Reilly's and the first thing I did to it was pull the restrictor.