Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

xmas idea for the mrs' cobalt

Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon
Default xmas idea for the mrs' cobalt

So the Mrs. bought a 2009 cobalt Lt last year and she is getting bored with the stock look and wants to stand out from other cobalt's around, which there is ALOT. I've already run a pinstripe down the only body line that exists on that car lol. The car is a nice gunmetal grey/blue metallic.

I just want to get some subtle exterior stuff, no body kits/lip kits etc.

I was thinking along the lines of HID's, led tails (smoked), window tint, maybe taking the chevy emblem off or painting it black

I was just kinda looking for other ideas, not that this is a cobalt forum, but i respect other people's taste in style

Lastly, she said she wants some sort of exhaust note. I know for a fact that if it's a little too loud, she'll like it for a month and then hate it forever. So i was looking for a muffler that isn't obnoxious and doesn't drone out the cabin. That and there isn't really a cut out in the bumper for a tip so i don't want it to look stupid either... I have no idea where to look.

I can weld it in and put hangers on so it doesn't have to be vehicle specific by any means

This is the car, even tho im sure you've all seen hundreds of them

Thanks for your ideas

Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

Idk, maybe some rims or paint the ones you have. HID's are a good idea, how about some window tint too? At least for the back 3 anyway.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Ditch the stock rims and get some aftermarket ones. Instead of HID's, which don't work well it halogen housings, get some Sylvania Silverstars bulbs. For exhaust, get a Borla or Magnaflow oval canister muffler. It'll sound nice. Avoid round cans with big tips (aka: "fart cans"), they tend to sound horrible.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:00 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

this is an easy 60 dollar make over

ddm tuning HID's - 25

can of night shades for lights - 15 bucks

black out all emblems - 10 bucks

12 pack of fav beer - 10-15
Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

You should tell her to check out http://www.cobaltss.net to get some more ideas.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

To do Niteshades correctly, you'll need to spend more than $15. You'll need Scotchbrite pads, 1500 grit sandpaper, clear coat and polishing compound. DDM HID's are $35 and up but won't look as good as Silverstars in a halogen housing.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:30 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Thanks for the input.

Rims I'm holding off on, trying to keep the power/drivetrain as stock as possible for now. As its 1 year old and still has full bumper to bumper warranty.

I got a set of smoked LED tail lights off ebay along with a smoked film for the 3rd brake light so far.

I'm definitely going to get it tinted for her, I'd much rather a professional do it after my experience doing the tibs rear window

I'm gonna ask her what she wants to do with the emblems, either black them out or just remove them.

Why will a set of HID's not look right in the housings? I'm a motorhead by all means so headlight styling/functionally isn't one of my fortes.

I'm just trying to start off on the right foot and not go balls out right away like i did with the tib. A lot of stuff i regret putting on to this day

Edit* well after a little research, i see why HID's are not recommened
Old 12-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SR Tech
Why will a set of HID's not look right in the housings? I'm a motorhead by all means so headlight styling/functionally isn't one of my fortes.

I'm just trying to start off on the right foot and not go balls out right away like i did with the tib. A lot of stuff i regret putting on to this day

Edit* well after a little research, i see why HID's are not recommened

For everyone else... HID housings are designed to work with the unique lighting pattern projected by HID bulbs. HID's in halogen housings can blind other drivers and won't lay down the proper spread of lighting on the road.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Nice set of aftermearket bulbs for the day times, maybe some fancy blueness. De-badging! Intake for snort instead of ehaust? My gurl loved it when I made one for her Ranger, little bit of pickup and noise. Tint and headunit to rock some girly tunes. That is a solid setup to keep them happy and all her friends will notice when the get in too. Takes a weekend and some time, but overall these cheaper mods keep the car safe and let her enjoy what we love so much.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

HIDs aren't made for halogen housings, but they still look great and are a LOT brighter!!! go with some HIDs, cost about the same as silverstars and look purdy!!

nightshades can be done well with a can of that and a can of clear if you spray em right. 15$

25$ HID kit from DDM tuning apexcone

tint the windows 200$

black out the emblems. 5$

black headlight housings. 5$

paint the hubcaps/wheels 15$

custom CAI 30$