Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

World Of Warcraft Rehab

Old 12-16-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

Blizzaga's sale post reminded me of something.
I'm not sure what the exact day was, but it was around this time in December of last year that I quit playing WoW.

I had been playing since 2 days after the release day. I played every day, probably 3-6 hours a day. I played an average of 12 hours a day on the weekends. I won't go into a big sob story about my gaming addiction, as i'm sure everyone has heard those stories before around the 'net. Anyway, I quit playing a few times in the years that I played WoW. A couple weeks or so at a time.

I won't go into too terribly much detail (mainly because I get cynical reading about the lives of others, so I expect everyone to do the same with my story tongue.gif ), but in the spring of 2006 my live-with girlfriend of 3 years - who also played WoW - packed up and flew to Australia to live with a guy she met on WoW. Suffice to say, she didn't tell me she was leaving. A week after I found her gone, I got it from her mother where she had gone.

The next girlfriend I had (fall of 2006), I introduced her to WoW, and we had a lot of fun playing together... until she stopped calling me. Stopped visiting. Stopped signing in to MSN. Stopped emailing. If I didn't log in to the game, I didn't see her. I quit playing for 2 full weeks, just to see if it really was as bad as I suspected... and I didn't hear from her, not once. No calls, nothing. That's when I finally realized that (for some people) MMO addiction is a serious thing. We always made jokes about the addiction stories we read online and in the news. It's just a video game, right?
Now I know.. to some people, it's not just a game. It really is an addiction.

So! I have now been officially WoW clean for one full year. laugh.gif My current girlfriend hates every game that has "online" in the title, and even rags on me for playing online 360 games. And I love her for it. Thanks for reading. wink1.gif
Old 12-16-2007, 06:00 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

congratulations Kant. Hey, I sooooo pwned you in Dark Pirates the other day.... All your gold are belong to us.

You were saying something about this to me in the past. I didn't realize it was a serious addiction. Is it really that bad?
Old 12-16-2007, 06:05 PM

Yeah.. well i've got some MMO history. lol
I played EverQuest years and years ago. Played it for hours every day. Ended up losing my job because I was oversleeping, going in to work super-tired from staying up all night.. etc, etc.

But even when I was spending ALL my time playing WoW, and doing nothing else, I didn't really think anything of it. It was just a game. But after watching some other people who were very close to me lose themselves in the same game... it kind of made me sit up and take notice. I think that losing two girlfriends to it (one because of her addiction, and the first probably because of mine - maybe both of us) made me realize that it was a serious thing.

The last year i've been trying to lose myself in my car instead. It's worked out fairly well. smile.gif
Old 12-16-2007, 06:07 PM

Wait some girl you were dating flew to Australia for some guy she met playing that? Was he a better player than you or what? That is just plain strange. Good to hear you dont play anymore though. I never tried it and probably never will.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:08 PM

^^ LMAO!
No way man! I was awesome. My record was level 60 in 9 days. tongue.gif
Only good thing that came out of it was selling my account on ebay for around $180
Old 12-16-2007, 06:15 PM

No Way! You sold your account? Now thats interesting. LOL
Old 12-16-2007, 06:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 tiburon

ya i used to play guild wars back in the day, then I got wow, and got into it. Then I thought about how much money i was wasting on it, so I went back to guild wars, and now i am currently addicted to that again lol... I hate MMO addictions!!!!! mad.gif
Old 12-16-2007, 08:50 PM

I have played them all.. EQ, DAoC, Guild Wars, WOW, Earth and Beyond (my favorite of all of them, until EA canned it) StarWars... but, as somebody who prefers to solo over grouping with other people, I tend to get bored after an hour and log off.. so no real addiction ever sets in
Old 12-16-2007, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

As far as MMORPG's go I played Asherons Call, Asherons Call 2, a little Ultima Online, Guild Wars, and I still play WOW. As far as wow is concerned I play probably 4-5 hours a week, if that. Usually it is more like 3-4 hours. It is hard to get a group together for the bigger instances so like Mad, I usually get bored and get off.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:34 PM

I don't think there is an MMO out there that I haven't played... lol
Everquest, Everquest 2, Ultima Online, Matrix Online, WoW, Guild Wars, The Realm, Asherons Call, Final Fantasy Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Second Life, Lineage... I know there are more, but I can't think off the top of my head..
Not to say I played them extensively, but i've tried them all out.