Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Workout Machine Or Mat?

Old 08-26-2007 | 12:43 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^i know exactly what you mean!!! i used to skateboard and thank goodness i quit when i did. skateboarding just devours your body.
Old 08-26-2007 | 12:44 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ No need to warm up when you're hot like HKC... No serisouly, it's up to your body and it's limits. The more you work out, the less sore you will be. When I joined the army, I could do about 30 pushups and hurt for the next few days. Now I can do about 80 and not be sore at all. I never had a problem with spasming. Don't work out while you're still sore. Drink lots of water and eat banannas when you're starting out to help out with the potasium which will eliminate soreness. Water will always help your body work more efficiently. Water makes everything work better and nutrients/waste/energy/blood get where they need to go faster.
Old 08-26-2007 | 01:03 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Charger

^^^ your a frikken idiot IF you think there is no need to warm up. Proven by studies that you are more than 85% more likely to get an injury if you DONT warm up than if you do. Especially if your of the older age. Your right, that the more you work out the less sore you will be but after being "not sore" for a while, you build up a tolerance to that level thus causing you to have to increase, thus causing you to be sore again. All im saying is that the stretching BEFORE and AFTER will help. Especially if your working on a preexisting injury. The reason your muscles get sore and spasm is because the acidity builds up and causes you to feel that way. drinking lots of water and eating greens, ie salad, spinach, etc.etc.... will cause you to not build up as much acid. i know people like ufc fighters eat tons of protein and greens. stay away from sodas and too much salts and what not. but like i said, look it up if you want, WARM UP FIRST
Old 08-26-2007 | 03:17 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Maybe if you're just doing easy pushups you don't need to warm up, but if you're really pushing weights, you'd get an injury in day 1 with no warm-up. Did you ever see someone get into the gym, drop some plates and attempt to start a set of bench pressing 315lbs or whatever? That would destroy you, you need a lot of sets to warm up if you are pushing yourself, like for example 20 reps with 145, then 10 with 185, then 5 with 225 then 3 with 275 and then start your set with 315lbs. Ok, clearly most of us aren't pushing this kind of weight, but the principles are the same, your muscles, joints and tendons really need to get warmed up. It's not only about temperature, it's also an adjustment to the effort as well as heart rate increase and whatnot, so you can't skip if because it's hot outside..

And soreness doesn't tell you a lot, just because you're not sore doesn't mean you are ready to train again..

Edit: oh, it was just a joke, I'm stupid, but really it's your fault alli you took it seriously and I just read your message tongue.gif
Old 08-26-2007 | 06:53 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (alli.s007 @ Aug 26 2007, 03:03 PM)
^^^ your a frikken idiot IF you think there is no need to warm up. Proven by studies that you are more than 85% more likely to get an injury if you DONT warm up than if you do. Especially if your of the older age. Your right, that the more you work out the less sore you will be but after being "not sore" for a while, you build up a tolerance to that level thus causing you to have to increase, thus causing you to be sore again. All im saying is that the stretching BEFORE and AFTER will help. Especially if your working on a preexisting injury. The reason your muscles get sore and spasm is because the acidity builds up and causes you to feel that way. drinking lots of water and eating greens, ie salad, spinach, etc.etc.... will cause you to not build up as much acid. i know people like ufc fighters eat tons of protein and greens. stay away from sodas and too much salts and what not. but like i said, look it up if you want, WARM UP FIRST

Like I said before, I've never had a problem with spasming. I, myself, do not lift. I do standard army PT. There is no need for me to do any heavy lifting at a gym. I already have sexy man-boobies from 8 years of pushups. There is no need to warm up before doing pushups. You just do them. Pushups are the excersize I recommend for upper body... That and 2-fisted-fury

But really, it's up to your body if you need to warm up or not. You can't power lift without warming up, but for general working out at a gym, you can just go for it.