Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Workout Machine Or Mat?

Old 08-25-2007 | 05:33 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Charger

<sup>heh... you know what else is good? to build up shoulders and what not the overhead clap or the military press. i have a lower back injury, so im on a permanent profile where i cant/dont do pushups, but in order to keep my strength up i have to do a lot of those(the press and overhead clap). they seem to work for me. it might take a helluva lot of them, but they work, and the key to bulking up is making sure you dont hit a plateu. to avoid plateu's, change it up. 3 days a week of some things, 2 of the other stuff, and rotate it each week.(im sure you already know this...duh) and even though your trying to build upper body, dont forget your cardio maintenance and what not... good luck! if all else fails, just do what i did and join the army!! haha.gif (not)</sup>
Old 08-25-2007 | 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

My personal experience is that if you buy dumbells, or a workout machine, treadmills, exercise balls, etc, is that you will never use them.

Pay for a membership to a gym, and force yourself to go 5 days a week.

That way, once you get to the gym, you have no excuse for not doing an exercise, and you have all the equipment available. Buing the stuff at home jsut lets you get lazy, you say you can do it anytime because you only have to walk out to the garage...When your friends come over and want you to go out, its much easier to say "I have to go to the gym, I'll meet up with you in 2 hours" instead of "I have to go out to the garage and lift my dumbells" ... lol.

What I'm saying is by giving yourself the convenience of having it in your own home, you will not be as disciplined about it. Plus, if you are going to be serious about working out, you need to do cardio as well. You have to go to the gym to do that (unless you like to run, or you buy a treadmill, I personally hate running, so I go to the gym to play bball and that is my cardio)

Getting started is the hardest part, after making a habit of it for about 2-3 weeks, you will start to ENJOY going to the gym, and it will be part of your regular routine.

Check out abcbodybuilding.net (or maybe .com) they have some good workout routines. If you want to start taking supplements, the only 2 SAFE supplements that will improve your performance and are not stereoids (so your penis size won't suffer either tongue.gif) is Creatine and Whey Protein. Both of these are things that are naturally found in foods and in your body, but taking higher doses while your muscles are under stress helps them rebuilds quicker and let you work harder, so you bulk up faster. They are the only supplements I will take because I believe in building naturally, roids are for cheaters and not well endowed people tongue.gif Oh, and pick up a good multivitamin and start drinking lots of water too (64 oz a day is recommended by doctors anyway!)

And lastly, if it is abs you want, a 6 pack is not earned by doing 5000 crunches a day, it is earned mostly by your diet. If you reduce your body fat (by exercising and eating right), and you do enough sit ups to have SOME muscle there, you can get your 6 pack. It is a common misconception that you have to do a million situps a day to get abs.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2007 | 07:10 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (alice6 @ Aug 25 2007, 07:08 PM)
^^^ vertically against a wall wink1.gif

, inverted, in the rain, with 20 LB weights on each butt cheek.

HKC, you might be thinking it's too hardcore or something, but you've got to sacrifice to have a body like alli.s007 or alice6.
Old 08-25-2007 | 07:15 PM

dtn, wtf? are you kidding or being serious? hes a male, im a female (duh)....
Old 08-25-2007 | 07:20 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ So is alice6. HKC is known for his gigantic nipples.
Old 08-25-2007 | 09:33 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I totally agree with zoned. I would never be able to do a serious job training at home. I've tried many times saying "starting tomorrow I will do this and that every morning" or whatever, it never works (not for me at least). When I go to the gym, I make the best of it and can really stay focused.
Old 08-26-2007 | 01:54 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Instead of jogging, be that guy at the pool that goes to exercise instead of jumping off the diving board. It'll save your knees when you're 50.
Old 08-26-2007 | 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Sonata Turbo

well i use to run track and feild and when was the time for musculation we never used machine...

the point of it is with dumble and "free bar" like power lithers use..... is that no only you use your muscle but a bunch of other muscle to keep your position like if you do squat your abs and back muscle will work to stay in postition

now days many coach make there athlete trained with those big yoga balls so there never stable ..... this make them works many more muscle that they would do on a machine to do bench press let's say smile.gif

you can do bench press laying your back on that big ball and using dumble belevie me seems easy but it's hard smile.gif or just try doing push up by putting your hands on it wink1.gif
Old 08-26-2007 | 12:08 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

it's time my gigantic nipples come alive. although i won't be presenting any photos of the results, maybe to tibbychick.

yeah the discipline is what just catches me off guard sometimes but if i do get a membership there's just sooo many dirty people who use those machines at the gym especially around where i live see. i think it was minimum $300 for a 3 year membership here and at my school it's $70 per semester. but you get a lot of dirty sweaty guys there too haha. the pool sounds like fun but that also costs money and i have no job as of now. zoned thanks for telling me about the proteins, my friends were using whey protein from gnc.

fall is coming up and i think i'm going to be jogging trying to get my cardiovascular state up for starter this month. i've got a yoga ball and some dumbells i'll start with.

do you guys recommend leg weights?

alli.s007, i want your bod. yum. wink.gif

i didn't think i'd get so many replies, thanks guys!
Old 08-26-2007 | 12:32 PM

lol! believe me bud, in my opinion, i could definately still use a lot of work, bu its hard when your sidelined by an injury. Thats why im so adament about safety. i made the mistake of not listening to my body in basic, (i fell off a wall and landed wrong on my back, ignored it for 3 months cause i didnt want to get recycled and i thought it would go away) and look where im at today. leg lifts are good, but just remember everyone has their own limits and i can tell you from experince, the sciatic nerve that runs from your lower back all the way down your leg is a b*^ch when its compressed or pinched. i can not say this enough, BEFORE you do anything, MAKE SURE YOU WARM UP or youll be spasming later tongue.gif fing02.gif fing02.gif