Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Workout Machine Or Mat?

Old 08-24-2007 | 11:23 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Well, it's that time. I have goals and one of them has not been met. I'm 22, 6'4, sporty, and I need to get that upper body. So what's more worth it from your experience--Machine or membership? What has worked for you and got you results?
Old 08-24-2007 | 11:43 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

a 10 dollar foot-pump inflatable yoga ball, two 30 pound weights my last roommate left behind, and my garage floor. I like laying on the ball on my back and lifting the weights from the floor to above my head with my arms straight the whole way up, feels lovely on the back. That and my job delivering, assembling, and installing furniture collections and various things.

I wasn't even really trying, just did the yoga ball thing once in a while when i was bored (and jobless) in the garage because the girl who bought it doesn't use it anymore and baam, I bulked up quick outta nowhere.
Old 08-25-2007 | 12:02 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

A couple of dumbells can replace a whole gym full of exercise machines... I've seen people get huge with just dumbells alone and protein supplements.
Old 08-25-2007 | 12:05 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Spend the money on the mebership. Yes you can get some size with a set of dumbells, but you will hit a wall. If you want more info than that, I will gladely divulge tommorow, but the wife wants me to come to bed now.
Old 08-25-2007 | 06:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^^ Lucky! nana.gif

Don't get the workout machine, my family just sold one because we never used it, and it's so limited as to what you can do (even though it was pretty complex and had 2 full stations). I'd highly recommend a good set of dumbells, preferably an 'adjustable' set where you can add weights (in like 1-10lb increments) so it can cover a wide range of needs. You may also need so other equipment like things to go with it, like a bench, or that yoga ball seems like a really good idea, but you wouldn't need much else.
Old 08-25-2007 | 10:34 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

wow, i suppose i'll start looking for them today then! i never thought a beach ball could do as much as you say but there is one somewhere in the attic.

hmmm, what kind of time frame are we looking at? and i heard protein supplements mess with your body a little like you have to change your diet. hmm.

an strike, there are a lot of machines at salvation army for cheap. i guess the workout style makes up for the machine?
Old 08-25-2007 | 10:57 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Depends on what your goals are. You will never be able to really push yourself on limited equipment. Sooner or later you will get stuck on any exercise and you will have to change to another. And even though some guys have good genetics and could get away with limited equipment and/or bad diet, most of us won't..
And protein supplements are just that, protein supplements. They won't "screw" with your body, would eating a steak screw with your body? (a good sized steak has the protein of at least two scoops of protein powder..) But the most important is having a good diet, and while protein supplements can help in having a good rounded diet, the foods you eat are what's important.
Old 08-25-2007 | 11:43 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

max out on push ups and sit ups. Get a few dumbells, and then move up from there.

push ups and sit ups are the best you can do. Make sure you are dedicated and keep up with it long term before throwing down a bunch of cash
Old 08-25-2007 | 01:06 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

drillsergeant.gif DO PUSHUPS! drillsergeant.gif
Old 08-25-2007 | 05:08 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^ vertically against a wall wink1.gif