Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Wii

Old 11-22-2006 | 12:15 AM

Ok I bought the Wii on the Launch and So far I think its probably one of the most innovative, fun, and neatest thing on the market...
You may look like a total jackass playing it but it is probably one of the best systems out (I also own a Xbox 360,) plus PS3 is basically a Xbox 360, but with a HD DVD player included,on the other hand The Wii is the Wii, the only thing like it is the PS3, and that just because Playstaion Stole the controller idea...

If I would pick a system right at the moment ... I would pick the Wii (but I dunno if I can live without Gears of War,) hands down, Ive played my Xbox, and I think its just a regular xbox but with wireless controllers, prettier graphics and a prettier case.
Old 11-22-2006 | 12:36 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Until you have played Wii boxing with the two motion sensitive controllers you should really have no opinion..that game entertained me for HOURS. I started to work up a sweat once I got to the "PRO" level. And that was just the crappy demo disc that comes with the Wii. Imagine a game like Knockout Kings 2007? That's going to be friggin AWESOME.
Old 11-22-2006 | 06:50 AM

I agree that nintendos gonna go down like sega. i loved sega, but sadly...they suck now. And the only thing i remember from gamecube is Luigi's Mansion, Mario sunshine, super smash brothers melee, and um.... i can't think of anything else. We have a gamecube and the only things we played was super smash brothers. i really don't think its worth buying the Wii just because its for children. People like very nice graphics and no matter how good the game play is, games visual performance is what i think makes it a hit or lose. i'm playing to buy a 360 around Christmas time, and hold off and see what happens next in the console wars.

this is a picture of call of duty 3 for the wii

and this a picture of call of duty 3 for the 360

you tell me what you think (these images both came from ign)
Old 11-22-2006 | 06:52 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

I personally think next gen is player involvemnt. If I'm not mistaken both 360 and Ps3 have maxed out their techno capability to handle the best resolution they can offer on any platform. (Wii didn't put the same technology into it so there's your price difference and you can't fairly compare the two.) If the developers don't use it, that's on them, not the ability of the system. They could make 360/Ps3 graphics on the older ps2/xbox if they wanted to run it that way. . to an extant. Thus they show great cinematic cut screens and graphic able demo's at the shows and then the games are halved in graphics to just look "good enough" to be better than the last game.

It may not be the Wii that does it, but it's the Wii that gets us out of picking up a 6/8/10 button controller and playing anything they put in front of you while you get fat and lazy. Take the Wii, add some Knock out Kings, first person shooters, Sports etc with actual movement reading capability of the user and BAM. NEXT GEN of at least some sort. Nintendo will then even if demised be the pioneer as it was with the original. You don't need better graffix to play Zelda, Zelda II, Golden Axe, Blazing Lazers, Streets of Rage, M.T. Punch Out, Centipede, Contra, Mario 3, Altered Beast, Joust Track and Field, Russian Attack and the list goes on without mention of SNES GAMES and what they did for arcades with fighting competitions and going against your friends *COUGH* SF, K.I., M.K. KoF, Tekken, DoA.. . . all we really want is a good ARCADE in the home with a full variety of 8 bit games. Those have stood the test of time for more enjoyment per game than some one hot title for 6 months before the system can release the next kinda good one. You want a first person shooter, get a PC and have more players than you can handle for Quake, Unreal, Doom and AvP just to name a few power houses. Alot of arcade games now also are just over fancied Wii ideas. More games than not have gone to trying to allow the player to move whether it be dancing, driving, punching or shooting.

How many friends have systems that have 7-10 games next to them. 3 of which are exclusive to that system, or exception play. Was the system worth the 3,4 games you still want to play and need that sytem for? I think we old guys could name 10 plus GREAT games on nintendo alone we'd rather play for a bit. 10 more on Sega and surely 10 for playstation 1 (set the standard to what xbox and PS2 and so on built from)and graphically Dreamcast coulda been capable of. All my xbox is for is hording my 8 bit games so I don't have to bust out the systems to play them on because the boxes are huge with the 25-30 games I own for it, AT LEAST. I know Atari doesn't count buy I have 104 games for it alone. 50 plus for the classic NES. I admit to having some 40 xbox games, but THEY ARE ALL BURNED and I don't play them but they were free to make my library bigger.

That's my middle of the road thought.
Old 11-22-2006 | 07:10 AM

Here's my whole stance on this issue:

Why would I want an Xbox 360 or PS3? Answer: No reason really.

I've got a pretty powerful PC, so much in fact that one of my Xbox 360 owning friends would always comment about how NFS:MW and Oblivion look, load, and play much better than on the 360. I'm sure my PS3 owning fans will say the same thing.

Games wise, the only games that those two systems will be getting that the PC won't are the system exclusive titles. Big whoop. I've been playing F.E.A.R for about a year or so, and console gamers are just now getting it.

Personally, I'm getting bored with modern games. Sorry, but pretty graphics and a different storyline just don't do it for me anymore. Games are just starting to fall into the same old mold. And whenever most developers say they're gonna do something 'revolutionary', it just comes off as a cheap gimmick (such as Prey. neat effects, but the game was still short,repetitive, and mediocre)

I really hope the Wii and Nintendo suceed. The gaming industry needs a good kick in the rear to get it to start making innovative stuff. Just my $.02.
Old 11-22-2006 | 07:40 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I'm not gonna get into the neverending argument on which is better, cause some people here are PS/Xbox nazis fo life!

But the Wii is obviously taking a positive jump into the future since it's getting kids off their lazy asses. DDR is another example. Kids these days are fat and lazy, and I doubt you can ever pry them from their console. But the Wii is kind of sneaking in the exercise that kids have been lacking for the past decade. The fact that Zoned said he worked up a sweat in a "game" impressed me.
That in itself deserves a two thumbs from me no matter how unrealistic the graphics seem to you.
Old 11-22-2006 | 09:06 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hmm, my kid is outdoors all the time, cause I send him out there.

He's skinny.

Anyways, I gave up on PC gaming because cheating is just insane on it. Also, someone that can afford that 700 dollar video card and the 25 inch LCD screen can just see farther and do more than you. It's just unfair. At least with the consoles, cheats are KNOWN, and when someone is doing them you can just leave or kick em. ON the PC, you just go to another game and what do you know? Other folks cheating. Consoles are more stable. Everyone has pretty much identical systems. The games are a lot more stable with very few patches. Everyone has, more or less, the exact same controllers, so it's based on skill, not your pocketbook. This is changing too, with 1080P/HD quality, but not as much as on the PC.

I'll never buy another PC game.

Most of the gaming magazines out there agree that the PC gaming realm is dying.

The BIGGEST problem I'm reading about with the Wii as of right now is space.

Trying to get enough room for 4 folks to stand up and play a game next to eachother while swinging and screaming, is just difficult. I just looked at the space in my living room and would be hard pressed for enough space.

Also, there have been at least 2 incidences of people breaking their nice HDTV's from the Wiimote slipping out of their hands.

Whups.
Old 11-22-2006 | 09:46 AM

Two out of like what, 900,000 that were released? There is a wristband that you are supposed to wear. I guess 2 people forgot to realize this. Morons.

I was not that impressed with the graphics of the Wii, but the motion controllers really make things much more fun. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say nintendo is doing it to "make kids not as lazy" but I definitely think they are setting the future trend with their innovative ideas (as they always have). I would call the Wii a "next-gen" system, because it does something which is different than the 360 and PS3 -- interactivity. Honestly, the motion thing isn't that great because it has no calibration tool, but it's hella cool. I saw old guys playing the golf game for hours, and lots of women bowling. They were lovin it. The Wii is not for the hardcore gamer, because it's brand new and not perfected yet. Maybe you guys will like the PS4 when they copy the Wii's new ideas.

I believe the first step to "next gen gaming" was Xbox's matchmaking system (which PC gamers have been doing for years.....people just finally realized it).
And I think the Wii's interaction revolutionary controllers are the next step.
The end result will eventually be full blown VR, this is just one step closer.
Old 11-22-2006 | 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^
No, this is WITH the straps on, they are snapping.

It's not a huge deal, but it's costly to some.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/22/joystiq-...wii-mote-usage/

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...hreadid=2183346

Those are just a few that I've seen today, there have been others posted with laptop screens and broken windows at the house.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/wii-remote/wi...rsen-216470.php
^^^
This one sucks. Guess the guy hit a lightbulb in a low ceiling while playing something and really cut his hand good.

Broken laptop is here.

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/...sage.id=2538243

That's enough.

I just wanna try the Wii.
Old 11-22-2006 | 10:13 AM

Holy shit, they got so into it that they punched or threw hard enough to BREAK the straps? Wow. I'm sure the next shipment of Wii's will definitely fix that though. Sucks that lots of people had to learn the hard way.