Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Why Should A Car Even Come With A Spare Tire.

Old 01-31-2008 | 08:14 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Got my truck tires at PepBoys in the fall. Then I had to do a brake job in the front. ALL of my lug nuts where stripped. I took all of them down and complained. They replaced all of them. I agree, I hate taking my car or truck to shops. Hard to find a good mechanic now a days...
Old 01-31-2008 | 08:30 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

QUOTE (cheesebox @ Jan 31 2008, 01:15 PM)
Working at a ford dealer you always use a impact gun, when putting it back on use torque stick's or a torque wrench, Most of the other mechanic's I have seen will just blast it with a torque gun, which is about 4X more torque then recommended.

QUOTE (capn tibs @ Jan 31 2008, 02:40 PM)
When I change my tires at my dads garage I use his impact gun. I don't use a torque wrench, I just tighten the lug until the gun trys to rip my hand off, then I push the trigger real quick again to make sure its tight.

Cheesebox FTW.

I don't know about you but im not Nascar and don't plan on replacing studs every time i change a tire because some punk got trigger happy and over torqued or striped the studs. or cross threaded the lug and stud.
Old 01-31-2008 | 08:50 AM

Question for all----IF givin the optimal conditions, where you were stuck in bfe, would you change your tire your self or would you call a tow.
Old 01-31-2008 | 11:16 AM

Having gotten stuck without a spare right before an important meeting I could not miss, I can tell you it is no fun to drive five miles on a flat tire. There was literally nothing left of it by the time I got there. Thankfully though, I did not damage the rim, even though the tire had seperated from the inside bead compleatly.

I do not know about most cars with runflats, I know BMW does not even give you the option of a spare in most cases. Thankfully runflats have gotten a LOT better in recent years, but they still suck.

And I do agree that shops overly tighten lugs. I have done the whole thing with using the jack to loose the lugs on more than one car. I can also remember asking a shop to hand torque the lugs onto one of my fiats.. 2 miles down the road I had to stop and retighten them because all they did was hand tighten.
Old 01-31-2008 | 01:05 PM

Has everyone herd of the tweel? http://www.myhonestmechanic.com/artm...ads/tweel1.jpg I think its pretty cool.
Old 01-31-2008 | 09:55 PM

and illegal in most states. The law usually states that a tire must be pnumatic. A throwback to when cars did not always have inflatable tyres.
Old 01-31-2008 | 11:19 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^i remember when you posted that.

interesting invention that tweel. I doubt they would ever be legal. I see that as a road hazard.
Old 01-31-2008 | 11:55 PM

it would surely prove effective against spike strips ;-)