Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Why Should A Car Even Come With A Spare Tire.

Old 01-30-2008 | 09:07 PM

LMAO laugh.gif

It actually lifted the car??? That's funny!

I've got a policy: never give my car to a shop unless I'm ABSOLUTELY stuck, have NO CLUE, and have tried everything possible. I've experienced, second-hand, so many issues with shop service to my parents' cars that I try to stay away from them.

I use a torque wrench everytime I remove my tires. It's a bit tedious but at least I'll have the peace of mind that I did everything properly.

I bought this power wrench that was on sale for $15. It plugs into your cigarette lighter, and gives you a 12' cord so you can take it all around all 4 tires. It's catered to the everyday person who uses the car only for transportation and has to deal with a flat tire, at some point. I've only used this power wrench to remove some stubborn nuts/bolts when working on my car (like suspesion stuff ;-) But I can see how it could come in handy to the everyday driver.
Old 01-30-2008 | 09:17 PM

offtopic.gif Its normal that you do that DTN eveyone i know that has done somethin to their car i.e. mods or w/e do it. If fact i give them stuff to do when i get my oil changed, ill tell them to check my air filter before they see that its a cold air and go inside and wait to see how long it takes them to figure out they cant get to it. And if my friend and I werent around when he got his oild changed he would had new vicegrip marks on his billet oil cap, the dudes didnt know how to get it off.
Old 01-30-2008 | 09:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I'm surprised nobody else has noticed this...

QUOTE (majikTib @ Jan 30 2008, 08:00 PM)
My sister has a GK - she bent the lug nut wrench trying to take her wheel off.

How big is your sister???? haha.gif Even I can't bend it beyond it's yield point!

On topic - I ordinarily don't have a shop take my wheels off (exception of replacing tires), or if I do, I usually take the lugs off and put them on again myself (usually in concert with a rotation). I've once had my regular mechanic (was actually his son, and after the incident I told him to never touch my car again) forget to tighten the lug nuts fully. One was missing, the other was 80% off... I've since found a new mechanic...
Old 01-30-2008 | 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

lol. how about everyone work in a shop and deal with people coming back and saying you didnt tighten their wheels enogh because they can break it loose with the tool supplied! where i live impact = spec! otherwise you get jackass customer complaints. my car and anyone's i know car gets torqued to spec!

DTN mechanics enjoy people that take care of their cars. im sure they enjoy your presense(not a big boneheaded know it all customer), espicialy trusting them to work on your custom vehicle. if your watching there everymove and ask about everything, its a diferent story.
Old 01-30-2008 | 10:36 PM

so wats spec where you live holding the impact trigger down for what 6 seconds, good luck tryin to change you tire if you get a flat in BFE. It just makes no sence to me, why to supply something to remove somethin, that is not sufficient. We just need a bunch of quick release tires or something. Maby thats why runflats were invented. some richdude was like f-it, ill just make the tire better and have the garage do it.

Do car equiped with runflats have spares? IF so why? I though they solved the problem with the runflat.
Old 01-31-2008 | 04:41 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Military humvees come with runflats and no spare tire. Usually production cars have optional run-flat. They come with a spare and you can get a run-flat to go with the car. I don't know of any vehicles off hand that don't come with a spare.
Old 01-31-2008 | 05:40 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

^^^ Bugatti Veyron perhaps on that note.

watched a youtube full walkaround of that car and not once did i see a spare anywheres.
Old 01-31-2008 | 05:58 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Shops use impact wrenches to avoid lawsuits. Better to strip threads or dig into your rims then have your lug nuts come off. Oh and to bad if you get stuck and only have stock tools.

Ive been taking my car to the same mechanic for years. I get deals and can never be in and out to pay because we shoot the bull so much. They are open on what they do and don't mind me (dunno about other people) watch.

Guess im lucky.
Old 01-31-2008 | 06:15 AM

Working at a ford dealer you always use a impact gun, when putting it back on use torque stick's or a torque wrench, Most of the other mechanic's I have seen will just blast it with a torque gun, which is about 4X more torque then recommended. If you notice a colored extension as they are installing your wheel's its a torque stick, the mechanics doing it right dont yell at him!. But besides that watch the guy every time, Were payed by the minute on jobs like that, some people do anything they can to make their bread.
Old 01-31-2008 | 07:40 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

When I change my tires at my dads garage I use his impact gun. I don't use a torque wrench, I just tighten the lug until the gun trys to rip my hand off, then I push the trigger real quick again to make sure its tight. I have always done this with my vehicles and I always use the cheap ass spare and cheap ass jack and cheap ass lug wrench the dealership gives you. I have never once been stranded on the side of the road because I was not able to get the lug nut off. My own mother will change her own truck tire with the dealership provided jack if she can't get my step dad to come do it for her. But she was the one that taught me when I was little. Are you guys really struggling to twist a lug nut?? I think the most I have ever had to do to add torque is maybe put one foot on the dealership provided lug and push down with my leg. I've used this method for ten years now and its fool proof. If you ever find yourself with out muscle or gravity+weight+footforce then you should get a triple A card or move to florida because we have Florida Road Rangers and they do it free for pansies lol

I do wonder why they call it a spare though. It should be called temporary right?