Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Why Should A Car Even Come With A Spare Tire.

Old 01-30-2008 | 05:53 PM

Ok every ones taken off their tire before, because thats what we like to do, people like us who like their cars have virtually taken every piece off and they know their car. When I first took my tire off just for fun it was torqued down so hard from the factory air guns it was impossible to get it off with the supplied bar. What I want to know is what some car companies think of when they torque down the lugs and provide a tiny lug wrench to get them off. If some one that has little automotive experience ever got into a situation where they had to change it it wouldent be possible. Once my dads truck got a flat in our driveway, we BENT the crappy wrench they supplied. My nice redneck neighbor got out mother of all wratch wrenches and we fixed it. But if it takes equipment that dosent come with the car why even bother then? I have an extra 3 foot metal pipe in my trunk incase now.
Old 01-30-2008 | 06:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Anytime i take my car some place that they have to take my tire off,I either watch them put the tire back on and hand them a lug nut wrench or tell them to torque to spec. I dont know how many times Ive made the mechanics (till i found a shop that knows ill check before i leave and will wait till i get there to show me with a torque wrench) that i made them hand tighten the lugs.

When in doubt always use a breaker bar when you get a chance and hand tighten the lugs.
Old 01-30-2008 | 06:13 PM

Yah so are spare tires only ment for the people who know about cars then? Think about the people who think of a car as just a transportation device.
Old 01-30-2008 | 07:00 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I don't have a spare tire. If I ran on that spare tire, my bumper would be dragging the ground.

My sister has a GK - she bent the lug nut wrench trying to take her wheel off. I take my own wheels on/off, don't let them use impact guns
Old 01-30-2008 | 07:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

True that. Most people would call AAA. Its 50/50. Some people go to the dealer to get their headlight lightbulb changed. Others, they do everything themselves. All depends on the person.
Old 01-30-2008 | 07:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I dont carry a spare, but if you have the right tightening specs you should be fine with what they supply you to take the lug nut off. When I first bought my car I had to use a 3 foot breaker bar and pull until I lifted myself up then keep jerking it down (about 210 at the time). Mechanics alway put them on really tight it seems like.
Old 01-30-2008 | 08:01 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i'll give you a good polish strategy for this short lug wrench thing. you carry in your trunk a metal bar, about 3-4 feet that slides into the short end of the lug wrench.

should come off with ease. problem solved.
Old 01-30-2008 | 08:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

That isnt a good solution either, though. I work on a ton of cars and do tires and all that. When I put them on I use a torque wrench for those exact reasons. Not that most of the people would know how to change it or even turn a screw driver. But then at least if someone were helping them they could get it off.
Old 01-30-2008 | 08:30 PM

Yah but what about all the people that get their tires rotated and the dudes workin are air wrench happy, do you think they would ever get the tire off with the supplied lug wrench if the proper given situation was present? One time (NOT with my car) i weged a car jack under the lug wrenchand attempteed to jack the lugs loose, result was it LIFTEDthe car like a regular jack under the car.
Old 01-30-2008 | 08:57 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I usually hang around at my car when people work on it for alignment or balance or what not. They always call me over to get the key or ask a question or how to turn off the car alarm or something anyways... I've never had that problem. Maybe the mechanics are on their best behavior?

I've always wondered if they consider me a fellow car guy, or if they consider me a nosy customer. Usually they see the work i've done and compliment it though. I dunno. Is it best to hang around at a distance outside the work area? The benefeits is that the owner is right there in case of a problem, which can occour frequently on modified cars. But at the same time I feel like I'm looking over their shoulder.