Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Why is it considered "bad" to strive to be the best at your job?

Old 07-25-2013 | 06:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Default Why is it considered "bad" to strive to be the best at your job?

You can never be the best if you don't try to be the best. And if that isn't your career goal, then mediocrity is? Funny how athletes get praised for this mindset, parents tell their kids, "Go out and be the best (insert profession here) you can be!", but in real practice you can be considered arrogant and a pariah. I know a guy at my job who just seems to be this ball of limitless energy, busts his tail day in and day out, never gets jaded and has gotten recognition from higher ups, but is referred to by some co-workers as an "arrogant douche" or a "corporate kiss-a**". But I tell you, if I had a fraction of that dude's energy, I'd say, "I'm a douche? Well Summer's Eve, dude!"
Old 07-25-2013 | 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It is considered bad to strive for greatness only by those who lack the capacity for it themselves, and are resentful that they are made to look bad by comparison. This is a fine example of the maxim: be yourself, and let the chips fall where they may. No matter what you do, someone will dislike you it is guaranteed - so do the best you can and let the haters drink their haterade.

Old 07-25-2013 | 10:11 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I work to live, don't live to work. In order to do my best at a job I would have to give up too much of the things I actually enjoy doing.

At the end of my life I guarantee I won't wish I had worked more.
Old 07-26-2013 | 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I've never had a job where I felt the other employees disliking me for working hard. However, I have had employers decide that the fact that I'm better and faster means I should do more than everyone else for the same pay. I'm tired of being punished for being good while the lazy f*cks get coddled and have lower expectations placed upon them.
Old 07-26-2013 | 12:15 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by i8acobra
I've never had a job where I felt the other employees disliking me for working hard. However, I have had employers decide that the fact that I'm better and faster means I should do more than everyone else for the same pay. I'm tired of being punished for being good while the lazy f*cks get coddled and have lower expectations placed upon them.
110% agree!!!!! I was always taught growing up that I should strive to do my best at everything. At my last job I wound up doing literally 3x everyone elses workload. The problem is when I spoke up even my lazyass supervisors started to retaliate. I failed to get paid for several days because they would clock me out while I was still on shift. Only got some of that back too. Bullies never grow up. You can bust your balls and either get shat upon with no reward or take it on like a boss but deal with the reality that everyone around you is basically taking credit for your work. (Surprise,) I am a very angry person, so I eventually got fired for throwing equipment at my boss face when he was gloating to another employee that I wasn't going to be paid for that days shift. I stand by my decision.

If you want to do your best and be your best, start your own business!

You'll stay stupid busy, but then only one that can hold you down is you.
Old 07-28-2013 | 04:47 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Originally Posted by 187sks
I work to live, don't live to work. In order to do my best at a job I would have to give up too much of the things I actually enjoy doing.

At the end of my life I guarantee I won't wish I had worked more.
That's what I try to convince my wife of, and I use the exact same phrase (I work to live, I don't live to work). Being in the IT field there are many jobs I can fit into, but I've found a good mix of what makes me happy and what makes me money. Unfortunately, my wife gets plenty of recognition but is still underpaid for the work she does and her title (though, she makes slightly more than I do). She's loyal to a fault, working 10+ hours at the office and coming home to work more.

I will work my ass off for 40 hours, but when quittin' time hits I go home. Of course, during our busy season I work the 45-55hrs necessary to get the work done because we have hard deadlines, but those are rare. Both my wife and I have a high work ethic and dedication to our employers, and we've both been lucky to be recognized for our hard work. My wife earned a 7.5% raise this year while the rest of her division was limited to 2.5%. I saw an 8.41% raise this year while most in my department saw ~4%. I've been promoted 3 times in 6.5 years while my wife has been promoted 6 times in the same period.

I've learned through the success of my grandfathers that hard work pays off, and I believe it. I also believe that if your company/boss doesn't provide you with opportunity for growth and recognition of hard work, it's time to move on. Life's too short.