Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Who Is Sarah Palin?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

For those that talk about McCain's lack of arm movement during his speeches, there was a thing about it a few days ago. Someone called him a corpse on the prowl or something. Anyways, during his time in prison in Vietnam, he was tied up and hung by his arms, behind his back, for a motn at a time. A majority of his physical disability is due to only having like 10% of motion in his arms.

I'm actually more excited than I thought I'd be, I've heard a LOT about her now. 2 "undecided" friends of mine decided on McCain today, because of her.

Kinda funny, she went back to Iraq before Obama...
Old 08-29-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Majik - great remarks man! I love it! Although I dont agree on some, you make great points. Not that it changed my mind on who I will be voting for this time around, but they are well received. fing02.gif

As far as my choice as to who has experience in command or second in command, you do make a valid point. owned.gif But, all I can say is I see Obama as picking a candidate who will not help him with great interviews and a perfect smile. Nor picking someone to try to snag some votes from the other party due to picking his VP based on the heated race between Hillary and Obama within the Democratic race. I see him as picking someone who he feels compliment his own qualities and who would be best to have at his side while running the country.

When I see Palin and McCain, I honestly see a man who is making a desperate move to pick someone who he thinks will swing voters in his corner. NOT necessarily picking someone who will benefit the country. Not that she couldn't do a great job, but, I see a sense of self perseverance from McCain to try and stay in this campaign race with a young and inspiring Obama. IMO it just seems like she would be a great candidate to contrast the youthfulness and young ambition that Obama has. I feel McCain picked someone who he thought he could win an election with, not someone who would benefit our country. And that is what I do not like about who he picked. Not that thats whats going on. I am sure McCain picked her for all the reasons he thought she would be a great VP. Its just my gut feeling. I get a bad vibe about who he picked. Cant explain it, it just is.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

That's where we differ. I think Palin's a VERY positive nomination. She has a TERRIFIC ethics record and already a history of trying to get rid of corruption in government. She reminds me of a more normal person that happens to be a politician (if that's possible). She seems like the non-politician politician... like Robin Williams in Man of the Year

Biden... I just can't tell where the guy stands. Have you seen his interview, where he said he was willing to run WITH John McCain? He was wanting to be VP along side McCain... and he talked very openly about Obama not having ANY experience other than being State Senator, and I believe Biden's comment was somewhere along the lines of, "Commander-in-Chief is not a 'learn as you go' type job" made during one of the debates.... they're all over YouTube. I honestly can't imagine WHY Obama would choose Biden as a running mate. Search YouTube, there's dozens of clips out there.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:51 PM

Let's see, she:

-opposes abortion
-supports capital punishment
-supports teaching creationism alongside evolution
-opposes same sex marriage.

She's known for battling corruption, sure, but currently is under investigation herself for dismissing a public safety commissioner that refused to fire a State Trooper involved in a volatile divorce and child custody battle with her sister.

Yeah, no thanks. Clearly the major reason why McSame chose her was to go after the Hillary die hards, but I doubt it will work. Then again, you get enough males voting for the ticket simply because she is "hot", and there you go.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:03 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

^ Your almost Canadian, your opinion doesn't count. wink1.gif J/K

I have made up my mind on who I am voting for. Being active duty my decision is usually based on who I want to work for for the next four years. I feel us military folks will get alot better benefits and raises if McCain wins.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:16 AM

Well I can't say I support Nobama either.

Here's how the election will go down: Nobama will easily win the popular vote. Florida will fvck up yet another election by somehow voting for either Ron Paul or Ralph Nader, thus allowing McSame to win the delegate count.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Evo

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Coupe FX

being in Australia, our voting system is very different, however i'll give my few thoughts,

palin is an interesting move. too young, too inexperienced.
personally i would be voting for mccain, he seems to have enough experience, values similar to my own, an knows what he's talking about
obama is young, and really has little experience in critical politics. the lack of military experience is also a factor
despite all this, i think he will win
Old 08-30-2008, 08:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Tibbychick - I definitely agree with you. She is way too conservative for our day and age. Even by conservative standards.

And, as far as I know, Obama supports our veterans WAY more than McCain ever has. Infact, this last GI bill was voted down by McCain, saying it was too generous. How the hell could it be too generous? I have not served, but I do have family members who have. I have the utmost respect for all our veterans. What you guys do is simply amazing. You all deserve more then you get now.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Right, he supports our troops so much he went golfing in Germany rather than seeing our injured solders at the hospitals there.

I just think it's amazing folks are holding on for "hope' and "change", but no one has any clue what his actual answers are.

No Experience
No Plan
NObama

As for Palin being too young?

She's 44, mother of 5, and went back to Iraq before Hussein did.

Oh I WENT THERE!!! LOL

As for the GI bill, It's nice and all, but folks have to remember the Military is all ABOUT sacrifice. Throwing that much college money at folks for 2 years of service WILL lead to some issues, and that was the biggest problem with it for McCain and others.

If you don't know the finer points of the arguments against it, or if you do and you don't believe it, you didn't serve. The new GI bill WILL lead to a problem in the ranks of losing our most experienced soldiers.

Being able to sign your GI bill over to your family though, I've agreed with that for years.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Politicians are Politicians. You can't trust any of them 100%, and they'd do and say whatever possible to get a vote, regardless of party affiliation.

However, I'm a Christian, strong in my beliefs and practices. I vote for the values of the candidates, which is hopefully something that won't change easily/frequently.

Topics of interest close to my values, somewhat in order:
    [*]Pro-Life[*]Oppose Gay Marriage[*]The "theory" of "Creationism" taught along side the "theory" of evolution[*]2nd Amendment Support[*]Military funding[*]Economic understanding
    (republicans fall in line with the economical theories I've learned in school, lower taxes = more money in pockets of people = more spending = more production = higher GDP / more jobs available = stronger economy)[*]Less Government involvement, less Government spending unless on defense and economical progression[/list]
    Obama fails in almost every aspect of what I care about. He has commented on lower taxes, but that's not a traditional democratic idea and he has yet to speak on how he can raise spending the way he wants while lowering taxes. And for those who don't understand, when democrats talk about "increasing taxes for the rich" and "lowering taxes for middle class" it's really absurd...

those wealthy enough to already pay the 35% tax bracket (i.e., those making over $350,000) already have the ability for tax shelters, tax credits, making donations to lower their taxable income, and they get around paying taxes already! It's a good thing really, forcing them to donate money to eligible organizations and giving them incentive to do so, but simply "raising the tax rate" on the rich won't do anything. It's just something they can scream about to get people to agree with.