Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

When A Site's Pm System Gets Hacked........?

Old 02-28-2006 | 01:48 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

What do you think should be done?

Last week I had all of my PM's read by a hacker on a local board. All the messages were then sent to someone who should have NOT read them. I was in deep shit for a while. Things are cool with me, but someone intentionally tried to cause harm. I also talked to someone who said they had 5 "read" messages that she had never read before. I then talked to the boards Administrator. He told me that he "heard" about this happening and started researching it. He told me that NONE of the mods/supermods/etc. have the ability to read other peoples PM's. Is this true? Even if not, doesn't he have the obligation to inform the community that their "PRIVATE" messages are not private anymore?

Well, they just got done switching servers/VB Bulletins over the weekend. However, my friend said that he had a message pop up saying that he had a new message, but when he checked it, it wasn't there. He posted a public message about it and it was immediately deleted and was threatened to have his account deleted for causing a public scene. He said that it would scare people away.

Well, shouldnt they be scared? Their privacy is being violated. And since he's keeping it a secret, couldn't he be sued?
Old 02-28-2006 | 01:50 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

some software allows the SuperMods and Admins to read a users PM's.

what software are they using for their forum?
Old 02-28-2006 | 01:56 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Now it's VBulletin Version 3.5.4

Last week it was an earlier version.
Old 02-28-2006 | 02:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

well truthfully I wouldn't keep any sensitive data in private messages. it's unencrypted during transmission and I'm betting they are stored in plain text on the database server.

plus I'm sure there is a way to allow you to read users private messages in vbb. that has to be the most hacked bulletin board software out there, so i bet there is a plugin that allows for that.

edit:

examples...

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78750
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92815

things are never as private as they feel on the internet.
Old 02-28-2006 | 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

*moved back to OT... Dmitry, this has nothing to do w/ our site, just a general question/concern about forums*

and when it comes to our site, theres no way (at least i haven't found it) to read other peoples PMs. and we don't have access to passwords, all we can do is reset 'em
Old 02-28-2006 | 05:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

we can read emails made through the site's software though.