Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Whats the coolest thing in your office or cube?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:59 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I have a blowgun I've constructed out of PVC piping. Everything else in my cubicle sucks. Second coolest thing is a large stapler. FML.

But in the lab we have hundreds if not thousands of chemicals. Every once in a while we combine things in interesting ways.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Hard to chose:

Dual 27" monitors to do my work on.

46" led tv for showing off my work.

7th floor window with clear view of city and skyline.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I only have dual 20" widescreens and my "office" is an old conference room with two cubicles, one currently unoccupied, but I only spend about 15% of my days in my actual office, other times I work from another location

Old 07-25-2011, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe

i think a good follow-up question would be "what are your jobs?".

like patreezy, what job do you have that requires that much monitors?

Jon, i think, is a graphics / motion designer based on his monitor and TV.

all i have in my cube is a doraemon stuffed keychain hanging from my peg board.

i also have 2 Cisco phones that i find cool. 1 for calling the US and 1 for local calls. lol
Old 07-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Administrator

I'm an (internal) Information Systems Auditor for an international multi-billion dollar privately owned conglomerate. Figure out what that means and I'll tell you more
Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 AM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe

Originally Posted by majik
I'm an (internal) Information Systems Auditor for an international multi-billion dollar privately owned conglomerate. Figure out what that means and I'll tell you more

well, you obviously audit information systems internally..
Old 07-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Administrator

lol... I do a lot of work to support our external auditors review of our financial statements. I do a lot of data analysis to support revenue and inventory calculations. The purpose of my job is to ensure we have adequate controls in place within our systems, including security, program review and code implementation, and proper system interfacing. We own dozens of companies, mostly under two separate umbrellas, and "internally" means I work for the company I'm auditing (corporate hq). I'm here to improve the processes and be an enabler for a positive change. We have business units in Canada, England, Australia, and a joint venture in France.

We run tow boats and barges up and down the inland river system on the East Coast (mainly the Mississippi, Ohio, and Tennessee Rivers). We also run the largest book warehouses in the world.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:57 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

majik, maybe you'd like to do a security review on this? http://oneclick.adamoutler.com/sourc...mdallOneClick/

When compiled, it's a single executable zip which can deploy a permissions elevation script, install drivers, install a program, install VC++ runtimes, then deploy a package to the temp folder and flash it to a Samsung device... Not to toot my own horn... I think it's pretty cleaver, but at the same time I realize how much potential that holds to deploy viruses. Is this the kind of thing you do at work?

OneClick UnBrick is the first release, it's basically a toned down version. http://oneclick.adamoutler.com/downloads/
Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Administrator

I generally don't do pentests or try to break in. The corporate environment doesn't really lend me to do that; we're a little too trusting of our associates.

I do, however, ensure they have annual PenTests performed on critical systems, review user access for adequacy (as actual associates and user access/permissions is the greatest risk within a company), and ensure they have preventative and detective controls in place. We have security officers at our companies that are there to ensure firewalls are enabled, people don't have permission to unload scripts onto machines, and make sure our data is secure. We have Microsoft come in to perform security tests on Active Directory. I mostly ensure that they are doing their jobs. I also look at the corporation as a whole and see where we can leverage projects and initiate collaboration across companies.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Originally Posted by mousepad
like patreezy, what job do you have that requires that much monitors?

I work at a private aeronautical University and that photo is inside of our Air Traffic Control Tower Simulator, all those screens are representing "windows" of an air traffic control tower and BRITE radar sim displays. I never really had a typical 'office' until recently so most of my computer work/e-mail stuff was done right there on those computers in the air traffic control lab. It takes a few hours to get used to working on a computer with six 32inch screens!

That photo is only about 1/3rd of our entire sim lab, attached is the rest of it which we use to simulate other types of atc facilities (TRACONs & ARTCCs).

My job dabbles in a little bit of everything, I run the place. Install new stuff. Fix old stuff. Teach people how to use it. Design new software programs to be integrated and better the sim environment. Develop courses to be taught within the lab. Co-teach as an assistant professor when classes are in session. Manage external use of the lab, for example when the FAA air traffic control tower at our local airport gets a new hire they like to bring them over to our lab to train a bit before going on to the real thing. Etc Etc.

I guess I did a good job because they gave me $100k to spend this summer on expanding the radar sim room and adding new stuff which is what takes up most of my time right now.

Coolest part is, the entire lab was hand built by students, for students. This is no off-the-shelf commercially sold atc sim product, this is the result of a few years of hard work and ingenuity.