Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

What Are Your Views?

Old 02-08-2008 | 12:02 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

We refuse to shop Walmart. We use small local stores when we can find them and Target as an alternative. Target is maybe in the same boat but WAY smaller than WalMart. Just like Lowes. I used to work for a contract company for construction supply and then Home depot wanted our product. They made us MILLIONS over the smaller guys we supported but we would not just let them push our other buyers out of the way so they could get us exclusively from not meeting their demands alone. That contract lasted about 2 years. But Home Depot is 3 times bigger than Lowes so I shop at Lowes. The Home Depot model for stores a year is 3 to 1. Home Depot wants to put a store with in so many miles of every Lowes (Lowes about 60 stores a year) and then spread out the other Home Depots (another 150 stores more after they match store for store).

And they are ALL run by foreigners. I don't argue equal opportunity, but NONE of them are even just "Americanized." No blacks or whites. And when did the dress code not allow us to dye hair or wear earrings etc, but they can wear head dresses and shaws and crap around their heads and faces and over the vests. At least I can speak a little spanish with the Latinos if we don't understand each other.
Old 02-08-2008 | 06:44 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I see things from an Architectural standpoint. With all the smaller businesses going under, imagine seeing nothing but the same ugly warehouse/Walmart at every corner. They don't even try to blend into the community.

HEB is the huge Texas grocery store chain which kicked out Kroger, Albertsons, Handy Andy, etc. However, it has taken huge strides to come to agreements with the local architects. It still has the same warehouse design, however they've improved on every building's facade by making each of them unique and adding some kind of character. They've begun to addopt the age old tradition of designing the building in accordance to its surroundings, instead forcing a rigid cube into a natural landscape.
Old 02-08-2008 | 03:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I don't like Wal-Mart and their business tactics. If they had it their way, they'd be the only supplier of everything (walmart = monopoly). They put up their businesses in small towns so the residents there have almost no choice but to shop there. They pay their employees shit and can them after two years so they dont have to give them a raise. Real nice.

They won't last forever with the way their crap is going.

Old 02-09-2008 | 12:14 PM

i live in a town, princeton, where there's no walmart, just the neighboring towns around us have 'em. the only national-wide store we have here is Coborn's Inc. and i think they're a good store, much better than walmart

and get this- walmart wants to build a new store in princeton, but my town, for a few years have debated about whether or not to let them, and just recently, let just say that walmart is forbidden to set up a store here haha.gif that's why i love living in princeton, keep out all the bad greedy businesses haha.gif
Old 02-09-2008 | 12:57 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

I dont have anything against walmart. I dont have alot of money so I look for the cheapest price. Sadly a lot of the time its walmart. So I buy stuff there.
Old 02-09-2008 | 06:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I hate Wal-Mart because of how they treat their employees (wages, union busting tactics, etc). When I was in college I shopped there because it was cheaper, not only in price, but in gas, because I just had to drive to one place instead of 3 or 4 places, but now that I have a decent job I avoid them like the plague. My GF goes there all the time and I always discourage it, I even offer to pay the difference if something costs more somewhere else...

Anyways, Walmart sad.gif