Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

What You Do...

Old 01-06-2009 | 08:19 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'm an integrated internal auditor for a multi-billion dollar family owned conglomerate in Nashville, TN. The owner of our companies is one of the richest women in America (right behind Oprah), worth $4.2 Billion last I knew.

Because of my background, I perform IT, Operational, or Financial audits among our several companies. I work with our external auditors of Pricewaterhouse Coopers every year in our financial statement audits. I review our networks, systems, and security for compliance and adequacy.

I hold a B.B.A. with a double major in Accounting and Information Technology
Old 01-06-2009 | 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Oh, and I have a B.S. in B.S..

What?

Forgot to add, my brother (who actually owns the Elantra I'm driving/modding) was active USAF for 8 years and is now Guard. He's a Mission Intelligence Controller for the Predators. Right now, he's on hiatus from that and working for British Aerospace in Qatar. I have no clue what he does for them, but it involves software and requires a very high security clearance. Figured since the Elantra is his, he's kinda/sorta a member. biggthumpup.gif
Old 01-06-2009 | 08:55 PM
kcr

I work part time at the YMCA and am currently going to flight school. YAY!
Old 01-06-2009 | 09:31 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundia Tiburon

I'm attending South Dakota State University for Computer Science, and am currently working part time at a local computer store, as well as helping my father on the family farm.
Old 01-07-2009 | 08:27 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (i8acobra @ Jan 6 2009, 08:04 PM)
I'll be going back to work by the end of the year. I also used to be 1/2 owner of HyundaiPerformance.com.

I used to be a BLM Firefighter, based out of Vegas. Been to NM several times (and AZ, UT, CO, OR, WA, CA, and ID). Probably put out a fire or two in your area.

That's some fun work, tiring though. I am getting safety certified for flight in the next few months so I can fly in choppers over fires to map them. I can't wait.

BTW, let me know if you are interested in working for the BLM again in another way, I'm always seeing the openings.
Old 01-07-2009 | 11:16 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Graphic Artist/Designer for the largest family-owned funeral home in North America. I do all of the printing of memorial/prayer cards, memorial DVDs, advertising, as well as a lot of internal materials.

I started here helping out with funerals when I was 17, spent a week or two covering for my predecessor. It helped to pay for my E-Commerce Management program at Sheridan College. After finishing that, the job that I have now became available and I took it. Its not what I went to school for, but I get to play around with Photoshop all day.
Old 01-07-2009 | 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Tiring is an understatement. I don't think I could hack it now. Up for 4 to 5 days with maybe on hour of sleep a day. On a fire with no days off and no shower/hot food for 2 months at a time. 120 degrees in the day, 60 degrees at night (soaking wet from sweating all day). All for $8/hour (probably more now, but this was in the mid-90's).

I think I'll stick to my air-conditioned and heated loader with the CD player, satellite radio, CB and cooler. biggthumpup.gif
Old 01-07-2009 | 11:31 AM

I'm a full-time college student at The University of Texas-Pan American, and work part-time at the Internet Services Department in the University. I am a web developer (still learning a lot of things in the area), currently working mainly with Oracle Portal. Getting a degree in Computer Science cool.gif
Old 01-07-2009 | 11:35 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (i8acobra @ Jan 7 2009, 11:19 AM)
Tiring is an understatement. I don't think I could hack it now. Up for 4 to 5 days with maybe on hour of sleep a day. On a fire with no days off and no shower/hot food for 2 months at a time. 120 degrees in the day, 60 degrees at night (soaking wet from sweating all day). All for $8/hour (probably more now, but this was in the mid-90's).

I think I'll stick to my air-conditioned and heated loader with the CD player, satellite radio, CB and cooler. biggthumpup.gif

LOL

I was thinking management or something else in the BLM (I LOVE that I can buy my Active Duty Army time back and retire early!), not firefighting again.

Although there are a LOT of Fire Management positions open.
Old 01-07-2009 | 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

I'd love to do fire management. However, my only qualification is 3 years as a firefighter. I don't have any land management experience or a degree.