Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

What Military Branch Was/is Your Family In?

Old 09-24-2006 | 09:18 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

I finally made a big deal how our whole family and relatives were/is in the military. I know alot of you people have relatives, moms, dads in the military. PLease list them..

Relatives in Korea: ROK Marines Veteran (1), ROK Air Force Veteran (2), ROK Army Veteran (8)

Father: ROK Marines Veteran (0-3)

Uncle: US Army Veteran (E-5)

Sister: US Army Veteran (E-3)

Brother: US Army (E-3, Soon to be O-1 this or next year)

Me: US Navy (E-5)

My Bro who just got out of Boot Camp, me, and my beautiful tibby.

Old 09-24-2006 | 09:23 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

My grandfather is a retired Lt. Col. in the Marines. He served in the Korean War and got his knee shot out.

My uncle was in the Marines, I don't know his rank but I think he went to Berut as a sniper. He currently is a Sergeant in teh Charleston County PD.

Dad was in teh Navy for four years.

Two cousins are in teh Army

Step brother is in the Air Force.

I thought about goin' in, but I seem to be fine right here.

lmao.gif
Old 09-24-2006 | 10:14 PM

Dad - army vet, stood guard on berlin wall

uncle (dads brother) - army vet, vietnam war vet

uncle (moms brother) - marine - desert storm vet

uncle (aunt's husband) - air force

1st cousin (aunt daughter) - Coast Guard

me - navy

Every Branch represented!
Old 09-24-2006 | 10:41 PM

my grandfather was in WWII. was on a destroyer tender in the pacific. around iwo jima and guadal canal and leyte gulf
Old 09-25-2006 | 12:56 AM

On my Father's side, we are all Navy. His great Grandfather, his grandfather, his father, and him. I am 4f, but would have gone in.

My Mother's side.. My Grandmother served in Army Communications in London during the Blitz and my Grandfather was in the first wave that landed on omaha beach.. but there is no long standing tradition on that side.
Old 09-25-2006 | 06:07 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

My Dad - Retired US Air Force

Uncle - Marine Corp, Vietnam, 3 Purple Hearts, 2 Bronze Stars, Killed a week after he got home by two guys drag racing.

Uncle - US Air Force - Seperated after 8 years

Uncle - US Army - Seperated after 10 years

Uncle - US Air Force - Seperated after 4 years

Cousin - Marine Corp - still serving

Cousin - US Air Force - seperated after 4 years

Cousin - US Air Force - seperated after 4 years

Cousin - US Navy - still serving

Brother in Law - Marine Corps - Wounded in Iraq, pending seperation

Brother - US Army - Enlisted just prior to Desert Storm, still serving as Cavalry Scout

Me - US Air Force - Enlisted delayed enlistment program during Desert Storm, still serving.

And with that I am off to Afghanistan.... Take care guys.
Old 09-25-2006 | 07:02 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

my sister is in army, she just graduated bootcamp though. shes at some chemical testing base in maryland where they release chemicals on our soliders.

armed forces are allways up to somethin...
Old 09-25-2006 | 09:46 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

My mom's an LTC in the Army, just hit 20 yrs!
Her dad was in the Navy, used to wear those big diver suit with the metal helmet and everything!
Her brother was in the Air Force for a while, and now his step son (my cousin) just joined and is finishing up basic.
My dad's father was in the Marines for a while, mainly in Japan area for WWII.
And I'm a C/Maj in Civil Air Patrol, the USAF auxiliary. Thought about joining as an officer, but decided the miliary life wasn't quite my cup of tea.
Old 09-25-2006 | 11:42 AM

As for history. I know my Great Grandfather (on my Dad's side) was aboard a destroyer in WW1. I need to find dates and names. I have seen pictures of it though.

Not sure what my dad's father did in the war. I know his brother is either the most lucky man alive, or the most unlucky. He was on an oiler in Pearl harbor on Dec 7. After being hit, they were ordered out of port to minimize any explosive damage if they went up. Out at sea, they sank and the crew was picked up by a canadian ship that was heading out to look for the japanese fleet. After a couple of days at sea, they were sunk and the crew(s) were picked up by an american destroyer that had teamed up with the canadian ship. They too were sunk.. so now there were three crews in the water. a Flying boat (PBY) picked up 23 men out of those crews.. they were the only men to survive. My Great Uncle was one of them.

After that, he was assigned to the USS Indianapolis, but was transferred off right before they transported the bomb and then sunk. He was assigned to the USS Alaska where he stayed until the war's end.

He was stationed on Kodiak Island in Alaska. During the Eartkquake, the entire island dropped 6 feet into the ocean. The military was then out shooting all the bears that woke up out of hibernation and were out running amuck.

My father spent two tours in Vietnam as a boat captain (Watch Apocolypse Now, except his boat was a converted landing craft with a helicopter flight deck on top) before returning to the states then to Spain before finally ending his career with a medical discharge back here in New Jersey.

My Mother's Father, who I mentioned was in the first wave onto Omaha Beach in normandy (See: Saving Private Ryan) cane through that without a scratch. He would tell the story of how the coxswan who was running his landing craft paniced when a morter attach just missed the boat and they wound up landing sideways on the beach. they were the second boat on the beach. The first boat, as soon as the landing door dropped, german machine gunners killed them all.

I will say this.. Military life when at war is never boring
Old 09-25-2006 | 12:05 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i was in the united states airforce

my father was in the army during vietnam

my grand father was a doghandler during WWII

every generation has been in the military. too many to list lol