Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

What does the Wife drive?

Old 11-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

The NV? You realize that's the size of an Econoline van, right? There's nothing "mini" about it.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

She likes it, something about the seating? I am going to look at the Quest and the other vans because I dont think we need a barge, lol.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Originally Posted by pas1216
Question for Wheels and Tibbi.......

Do either of you have kids of your own?

I can see you building up to a 'well u wudn't ever understand' argument. Tell me how ride height increases interior room first.

Originally Posted by tibbytib
I drove a Mazda cx-5. Really nice. Lots of room.

Check out the mazda 3 man. They're the exact same on the inside, but a few grand cheaper and much nicer to drive.

Try not to get too angry as you defend your mall crawlers guys
Old 11-23-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Ride height has everything to do with infants and toddlers. Getting them in and out of a car seat while they're awake is hard enough. Keeping them asleep would be impossible in a car or wagon. Not to mention the ergonomics of a lower vehicle, which requires you to bend over and stick your head under the roof. Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean that I would want to. Thats the entire reason why moms have gone with suv's.

I forgot about the Quest. I'll research that one too.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
I can see you building up to a 'well u wudn't ever understand' argument. Tell me how ride height increases interior room first.

I'll take that as a no. lol.

I think JonGTR covered the ride height question perfect. My wife agrees, the first week we had the SUV, she kept saying how much nicer it was to just put my son into the car seat without twisting herself 7 different ways, and banging her head in the process.

Not trying to get into an argument Wheel's, but I have a kid, and I also owned a Hyundai Accent. It was HORRIBLE! Until you have to cram a weeks worth of groceries into a small hatch with a baby stroller, baby bag and whatever else you seem to be carrying around with you, you honestly wouldn't understand. Then you suggest a Mazda 3 Seriously? lol. I've only owned my CRV a few months, but have found myself thinking on more than a few occasions how we ever got by without it. I've bought quite a few cars over the years and can honestly say that my CRV is turning out to be one of the best/smartest car decisions I've ever made. As for the roll-over issue, it's not a 1986 Suzuki Samurai

BTW - I did a little research. The Volvo station wagon you posted/suggested actually has less than HALF the cargo room of my CRV.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

BTW, If you really need an SUV and don't wanna be confused for a soccer mom, my '06 Trailblazer SS was pretty badass. You can still find them in really good shape. I bought my 3SS (3SS is the "every option included" package) last year with only 32k miles on it for $19,900 at a dealer. They are available rwd or awd. Granted, mine only got 14-15 mpg, but I had a 3600rpm stall converter, long tube headers, 3" exhaust, intake and a tune. The previous gen Cherokee SRT8 is also pretty cool.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:51 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

BTW - I did a little research. The Volvo station wagon you posted/suggested actually has less than HALF the cargo room of my CRV.
Again, you're counting the capacity seats down in the CRV vs. seats up in the wagon. Do We need to get into that again? I have shown you SEVERAL times where there are a number of vehicles that have comparable cargo volume. That argument is idiotic.

As for the children, I have 2 nieces and a nephew that we frequently haul around thanks to a deadbeat dad. So in a way, yes, I know how to pack in crumb snatchers like a decent human being; and without the arrogance I'll add. Funny enough, a minivan does fine working out 2 different sports, gymnastics, and the rest of the lot. Even more humorous is that until #3 came along, a sedan did the same job without issue. Nope, no personal experience here. I mean, my generosity isn't a badge of courage so it hardly counts. Now for the most important question, what percentage of your total mileage driven is done so with hellion(s) in tow? You will be forced one day to admit that you're decision is bias. You can do so now and forego any further ridicule, or you can continue using offspring and country as weapons to defend your absolutely foolish purchase. Those are the choices.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by Tibbi
Now for the most important question, what percentage of your total mileage driven is done so with hellion(s) in tow?

As this thread is "What does the Wife drive?" the better question is HER percentage, and it's approximately 100%. Plus bikes, bags, and whatnot in the back. And there's still room left over to be comfortable.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:51 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Unless the daily routine is to drive the children to school, nap in the parking lot until such a time as they are ready to be picked up and then drag them around to work/shopping/leisurely activities exclusively, then 100% is a gross misrepresentation of overall travel. In reality a working mother will see less than 1/3 of all miles driven with crumb snatcher(s) present. Do the math
Old 11-25-2013, 01:40 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Not to mention the ergonomics of a lower vehicle, which requires you to bend over and stick your head under the roof.

Maybe on an RD, or possibly a prius, but it's really a non-issue on the larger wagons that I mentioned earlier.

-I also owned a Hyundai Accent. It was HORRIBLE! Until you have to cram a weeks worth of groceries into a small hatch etc etc etc

-Then you suggest a Mazda 3 Seriously? lol.

-my CRV... is not a 1986 Suzuki Samurai

-Yes, it would probably be awful trying to put kids in an accent, that's why I didn't recommend it to anyone.

-Tibbytib asked about a CX-5, which is just a raised Mazda3. There is literally no space benefit to be gained between them.

-And your CRV is always more prone to rolling over ejecting your seatbelted family out the sunroof/side glass, than the equivalent civic or accord. Can't get around that.