Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Web Scripting Class Project

Old 10-04-2006 | 10:45 PM

Awesome job doing that all in NotePad. Whats funny is that I do most of my webpage designing in Notepad, no clue why just habit tongue.gif.

One thing I notice was on the pictures pages, you might want to resize the pictures to fit in the box so you don't have to scroll or rezise the box but since your going for 800by600 it will be easier to resize the pictures.

But beautiful page thought, i like it a lot!
Old 10-05-2006 | 08:24 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

yeah I was going to, but I've already got an A on this project and don't feel like taking the time to resize every picture. Most of the pictures are being pulled off other websites already. I'm taking 21 credit hours this semester so I need to start spending some time on other classes
Old 10-05-2006 | 09:12 AM

A good class won't let you use css or javascript.. I think it's a great idea to only use notepad. I do most my coding in notepad it's the bomb. THe reason instructors make the students code in notepad is because if the use Dreamweaver or whatever, and they make a mistake (say the formatting is wrong somewhere) they have no clue how to change the code. I had to do the same thing for college and i 100% support it, good job by the way... I don't like the blue. If you want any tips or anything send me a PM (8 Yrs Html/asp/asp.net/php/ado.net/vb6/vb.net/SQL)
Old 10-05-2006 | 10:05 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^ I agree but no css? thats just dumb.

edit: for those not in the know css is cascading style sheet. instead of putting you want this text bold, or in courier font 100x in your page you do it once in a css file. Actually it's the standard now. doing things like centering in the html document are now considered outdated and depreciated by w3.org, they say do it in your css, and they are the people that make the standards concerning web coding.
Old 10-05-2006 | 05:33 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

we're getting into CSS later in the semester. Most of the students in there need to know the basics in HTML, I can't believe how limited most of them are on their knowledge of HTML (it's a required class for all business majors, so it's not like they're all computer people). Placing the limitations of strictly HTML on this project was to develop the skills of the majority in the class, and place challenges on those with JavaScript/PHP/CSS knowledge to go back to the basics and develop the best page they can with the basic structure. Kinda like making people appreciate the stuff they have (CSS, DreamWeaver, etc.).

Notepad was a great idea for the first project, seeing as how 90% of the class doesn't know basic HTML. It forces them to learn frames, tables, and basic HTML coding. In a month or so, they'll get into DreamWeaver and learn CSS and be like, "OMG!! WTF!!!one1! This r0x3rz!"