Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

University Status

Old 02-11-2008 | 04:58 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Majik, and anyone who knows anything on degree progress and semester credits, how many credits is a bachelors degree? It may differ for every school but I'm looking for a degree in design and I spoke to an advisor and she said 60 credits to get a degree from the art department. I may have misunderstood something because 60 is a bit low, it's 120 for English. I have 45 credits altogether, would this mean I have 1 more year of full time school left before a bachelors?
Old 02-11-2008 | 05:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Might just be talkinga bout the credits in major, with general education credits not included. Here at Grand Valley it's 120 to graduate. Ima have 121 in late april smile.gif
Old 02-11-2008 | 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

i was thinkin the same thing....

the 60 credits for the art degree may have meant 60 CORE credits. you still would have to complete the required courses/electives which could equate to another 60, which was included in your 120 English degree quote
Old 02-11-2008 | 05:59 PM

congratulations caj! time for that new hyundai turbo? did you work a job during school? i would have 60 now if i hadn't dropped a good amount of classes. shame too because i got all the way to the end and didn't want to risk a low grade for my cumulative... so here i am at 5th year non-stop after high school derailed with a 3.2 gpa at evening school which is long and hard to focus. i'm transfering this semester to the day school get back on the highway. i don't know much if any inside information about how the university works because while day students get advised, counseled, and have all resources and objectives written out in their plan, i've been undergrad with the adults.

what do you mean by core credits? what exactly are core credits? i just know i'm wrong, 60 credits is far to easy. but im just not sure what she meant. i should have asked but i didn't realize it until i looked at my information. i think i'm understanding from what you tell me that it's 120 TOTAL credits for a degree, and 60 of those are THEIR credits?

my night school is a division of the day school meaning, same work, same professors, same building and rooms just at night. if i have completed requirements for night school, math and english, will they count as requirements for the day school or not?

thank you.
Old 02-11-2008 | 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you need a minimum 30 credits from um to graduate with a bachelor's and 120 something total. can only transfer 60 from 2 year colleges. do some searching at http://www.art.umd.edu/ to see exactly what you need.

to get a degree at md everyone has to meet core requirements, like others have said. they are just gen ed classes. http://www.ugst.umd.edu/core/core_req.html
Old 02-11-2008 | 08:51 PM

by "core credits".... lets say you're majoring in accounting. "core" classes would be all the courses having to do with Accounting (or business). the other credits would come from other classes required such as psychology, biology, writing, etc.
Old 02-11-2008 | 09:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

opposite here, we call those classes directly related to your major major-specific, the gen ed ones are known as CORE(math, english, science, history, etc...)
Old 02-11-2008 | 09:20 PM

thanks gents. that's a lot of help.

unfortunately i have chosen not to endure the prosperous field of engineering because of the post graduate design school i want to go to and it's simply the best thing for me at this point. plus i'm serious about going there and pursuing a career.

looks like i have to do this now:
A portfolio and essay are due May 1, (or the following Monday, if May 1 falls on a weekend) in the Department of Art office, not postmarked May 1.

also i'm more than eligible for a scholarship smile.gif well, lot of work ahead then and another literature class. crazy.gif
Old 02-11-2008 | 09:38 PM

opposite here, we call those classes directly related to your major major-specific, the gen ed ones are known as CORE(math, english, science, history, etc...)

you're absolutely right. i mixed up the 2. haven't gone to college in 2 years. haha
Old 02-12-2008 | 08:01 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Sorry, I was sick yesterday. Slept from 4pm til 5:30am -

The posts above are correct. 120 credit hours for a bachelor's degree. The 60 credits could have either been referring to CORE classes or an Associate's degree. To obtain an Associate's Degree requires 60 semester credit hours. I believe different schools may use terminology differently.

I believe this is pretty standard across the board... I don't see why any one college/university would/could require more or less. Some may require classes that others don't.

I graduated with 170-175 credit hours (can't remember specifically). I completed a double major, graduating with a B.B.A. in Accounting and a B.B.A. in Information Technology.

Here are the requirements for a B.B.A. in IT (Bachelor's of Business Administration):

General Education - 50 hours
Business CORE Classes - 33 hours
Concentration Courses 27-30 hours (Concentrations offered include IT Concentration, E-Commerce Concentration, or Digital Multimedia Concentration).

Because my General Education classes and my Business CORE classes can be applied to both B.B.A. in IT and a B.B.A. in Accounting, the Concentration Courses are the only ones that I needed to take for my second major. In this case, concentration courses would be the same as "major specific" and CORE classes would be "department specific" (pretty much Gen Ed for the business department).

Business CORE Classes include things like Economics, Statistics, Business Principles, Marketing, Business Law, General Accounting, etc... These are classes everyone in the Business department must take.

Associate's Degrees are commonly known as 2-year degrees. If you take 15 credit hours for 4 semesters (2 years) you'll end up with 60 hours. That could have been what you were being told about, the Associate's Degree, not the Bachelor's.

Also, just because you have 60 credit hours doesn't mean you automatically get an Associate's Degree in art. I'm sure there is a minimum requirement for Art classes.