Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

they finallly got me

Old 04-08-2003, 05:44 AM
Al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default they finallly got me

got my first ticket ever 74 in 55. going to court pretty soon so if anyone have any ANY sugestions on anything i'd really apriciate it.
what exactly am i going to court for, what's judge going to ask me? and how does this wrok. by the way i am in VA.

also any9oe know what it is going to cost me? i know it is 5 bucks for every mille so i got 95$ but are there any are there any other fees?

[ April 08, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Big_Al ]
Old 04-08-2003, 06:54 AM

Big_Al:
got my first ticket ever 74 in 55. going to court pretty soon so if anyone have any ANY sugestions on anything i'd really apriciate it.
what exactly am i going to court for, what's judge going to ask me? and how does this wrok. by the way i am in VA.
My suggestion:

1. Go to court.
2. Admit you was speeding.
3. Pay the fine and/or follow the judges instructions.
4. Learn from your mistake.

You are going to court because you was issued a ticket for speeding and you better be there.

The judge may ask you anything depending on what kinda mood he is in.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:31 AM

Typically you only go to court if you want to dispute the ticket, though showing up usually results in a reduced fine. Otherwise there are instructions on the back for just paying the fine. If you go to court, admit your guilt and if you have a clean record a judge typically knocks of between 40 and 50 percent off. I was in court once and not one of the "good" excuses anyone came up with helped. Just be honest and respectful and you will be OK. Dress nice, and have good posture. Use sir or madaam when applicable, all of this shows respect, which they deserve.

Slow down, it saves on insurance. $20 bucks a month for the next 2 years on your insurance isn't worth it.

[ April 08, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: AllBlackTibby ]
Old 04-08-2003, 08:52 AM

WHAT!??! ok i dont know about VA but you so HAVE options. 1) If deferred adjudication is available...TAKE IT...its like you pay the ticket and go on probation for 3 months. If you dont get another ticket in that CITY then it comes off your record. If that's not available, think defensive driving...less cost but you gotta do the 6 hours of your life is gone thing and lastly...just pay an attorney. most will handle it for you in about 10 mins and you dont have to go to court. They just take care of it and keep it off your record. I live in TEXAS and seriously i have gotten plenty of tickets and i have friends who make it a point to get ticketed regularly due to street racing needs and all of our records are clean and insurance rates are cheap as ever.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:11 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Do what Hootie and AllBlackTibby said, good advice from good people (I guess)...
Old 04-08-2003, 10:22 AM

Damn Relic, sounds like Texas is a little harsh.....defensive driving for going 74 in a 55, paying an attorney....seems a little extreme for a traffic ticket. I have heard Texas is a little harsher.

It does all depend on which state you're in though. First offense here is nothing, you just have to live with it on your record for two years with inflated insurance premiums. My insurance went up 20 bucks a month or $480 for the term of two years. I learned my lesson quick.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:34 AM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

Texas is wack. I got stopped for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. At 5 am, on a road that probably sees 1 car every 30 minutes during it's higher traffic. At least the officer found it funny. *** .

Just go to court, take differed judafication (sp?) or say guilty. It's a lot less painless than trying to say not guilty.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:39 AM

Hey Big_Al, comming from a fellow virginian, i think you should tell us what county/city you got it in. Chesterfield county is a @#$! for getting tickets in. All of my 2 tickets i've ever recieved were from Chesterfield cops. If you don't pay (oppositely, it will cost you $$ and place points on your record possibly 'causing your insurance to go up) and show up to court and this is your first moving violation, 9 times out of 10 they'll send you to driving school and you pay whatever fees for the 8 hour class (i paid $35), loose a sat. and they give you a certificate as proof that you went to driving school when completed and your off.

The second offense within 5 years automatically denies you driving school and you have to pay up. Yes it sucks, chesterfield cops suck (eventhough i have a friend thats a chesterfield cop, he's cool of course )and well, when speeding on I-95 in chesterfield county, be on your toes!!!

[ April 08, 2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Koreandude ]
Old 04-08-2003, 11:38 AM

sounds like Texas is nice on people...we can take defensive driving once a year and NOTHING goes on your record here unless you are just too lazy to do something about it. Also defensive driving is just 6 hours here. We can take it at comedy clubs or at mexican food places and eat red sauce the whole time we listen. TEXAS rocks. Anyhow..if you can just pay an attorney cause they get the job done cheaply and effectively. Ill pay an attorney anyday before i let my insurance skyrocket
Old 04-08-2003, 12:15 PM

have you ever had a ticket before? if its your first ticket ever you can claim amnasty, what that will do is no matter what, on the basis of your prior clean record the judge can erase that ticket and you will not pay anything besides maybe a court fee. can only be used once and it has to be yoru first ticket for other thta might want to use that.