Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Switch Jobs Or Not

Old 05-23-2009 | 03:23 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

Okay i've been dealing with this dilemma for a couple weeks now and I need to make a decision.

I've been working with Sears Auto Center for the past 7 years. I started as a technician and now I'm in sales. The job is commission based so the paychecks can vary quite a bit each pay cycle. For about the past year, they've been tryin to get me into an Assistant Manager position. The two places I interviewed for, they both went with people who had more tenure (one was 30 years, the other was 12) with the company.

I've since become frustrated and applied for and was offered a job at a small tire place in my town not far from my apartment. The pay is hourly ($13/hour), 50 hours a week.

Well, the quandary is that an Assistant Manager position has opened again and I'm the only internal applicant, all the others are from the outside. They much prefer hiring from within, so my chances of getting the position are very good.

Pros of staying with Sears include:
    [*]salary ($34000 - $35000) + commission + bonuses (if i were to get the promotion)[*]resume builder - one of the 5 largest volume Auto Centers in the country[/list]Pros of switching jobs:
      [*]closer to home[*]overtime[*]set schedule (out at 5:30 mon-fri, sat out at noon, sun off)[/list]Cons of staying with Sears:
        [*]not gaurenteed to get promotion[*]new location (if got promotion) would be an hour commute each way[/list]Cons of switching jobs:
          [*]manual labor[*]more of a job than a "career"[/list]This has become such an issue deciding on what to do, to a degree where its giving me issues sleeping at night. I've been with Sears for so long that leaving and starting fresh could hurt any type of "career" building anywhere else. An assistant manager position would be great to either move up within the company or even use that title in hopes of finding a career somewhere else.

The other job is just that: a job. It can be construed as taking a step back. Its just the location is hard to pass up. I could walk to the new job if I really wanted to. My car is on its last legs right now. From the steering rack leak, massive exhaust issues, dents, rust... and since two days ago, a clutch that probably will fail VERY soon. So, in that aspect, the location is VERY appealing....

I just don't know what to do so i would like some input on what others would do. Should I stick with Sears in order to move up with the company or use that experience to build a resume or should I work closer to home for an hourly job closer to home with more convenient hours.

i'm lost
Old 05-23-2009 | 03:57 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

$13/hr is taking a step down for you. That's $27,000, with the overtime it gives you an extra $10,000. I wouldn't rely on the overtime.

Think about going from $13 to an Assistant Manager position... that's a huge jump. What comes after the $13 position? You'll be much less likely to be hired on as an asst. manager.

I suggest you do whatever possible to get the Asst. Manager position, as that'll be great on your resume. On your future resumes, you can put:

Sears Auto Center . . . 2002-2009 . . . . . Assistant Manager . . . . . Nowhereville, RD

That looks much better than "Salesman" or "technician" and it appears that you've had an extensive history of being an Assistant Manager. It's HUGE for your resume, and can get you more money in future positions. Maybe you can use that Asst. Mgr. position to find a higher paying Managerial position somewhere. Do what you can to get the title, then continue your job search if you choose. Maybe you can become manager of that $13/hr place.

Do what you can to get your Asst. Mgr. position. If they don't give it to you, listen to THIS and walk out the door for your $13 position.
Old 05-23-2009 | 04:06 PM

The $13/hour with the new job would actually be a pay increase assuming i were to stay as a salesperson at Sears. I only made $25000 last year as a salesperson.

In terms of moving up in titles at the new location, there isn't as much opportunity. They are a small chain of about 10 stores in Mass, NH and VT.

I have to make a decision soon. I technically gave my notice to Sears. I'm expected to start at the new place in June. Obviously if i go to them and say i'm waiting out on a chance to move up the ladder at Sears, they're gonna look for someone else and not hold the job for me.

So my biggest dilemma is if i say no to the new job in hopes of the Asst Mgr job, and I don't get that job... i just lost out on a lot of money...
Old 05-23-2009 | 04:32 PM
Administrator

hm... well if you want to stay at Sears, tell them, "I'm leaving unless I get the Asst. Mgr. position. I have another job lined up and I need to know before xx/xx/xx"

if you get it, great. If you don't, nothing lost.
Old 05-23-2009 | 05:06 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

my question is what your college looks like, because with a degree you earn 35k regardless.

i'm just as confused as you are because i've only worked at restaurants and haven't worked for 2 years now. it depends on how comfortable you are and what your future plans look like, what you want for yourself. is SEARS Auto Center what you want to do for the next 7 years?

my sister worked with as a manager of about 4 restaurants and Verizon service. she moved up real quick but they began using her, and not giving her the money she worked for. she quit after 1 or 2 years, and she has that on her resume. so my advice would be, take the job, do it for 2-3 years and then quit.
Old 05-23-2009 | 05:18 PM

QUOTE (majikTib @ May 23 2009, 06:32 PM)
hm... well if you want to stay at Sears, tell them, "I'm leaving unless I get the Asst. Mgr. position. I have another job lined up and I need to know before xx/xx/xx"

They can't gaurentee me anything. My boss wants me promoted. The District Manager wants me promoted. unfortunately, its not up to either of them. the DM does have some input, however it would be up to the main store's Manager to hire me or not hire me. So, i can't get a gaurentee.

And they already know of my lined up job.

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ May 23 2009, 07:06 PM)
my question is what your college looks like, because with a degree you earn 35k regardless.

I only went for like 2.5 years. never got a degree
it depends on how comfortable you are and what your future plans look like, what you want for yourself. is SEARS Auto Center what you want to do for the next 7 years?

well, i'd rather see myself as an asst manager than install tires at the local place. but i'd rather receive more money busting tires than being a salesperson...

in terms of "greater thans":

Manager > laborer > salesperson

as i said, the biggest thing is i don't know if i'll get this position. its not a gaurentee, and they can't give me a gaurentee. i have to go thru an application/interview process first.

although i'm sure they have applicants with degrees, they'd rather promote from within due to the minimal training needed. Due to being there as long as i have, i know everything that the shop and sales has to offer. i've also been trained on managerial tasks, been given keys to the building, been the manager on duty many many times. So, i have a step up on any outside applicant that they can find...

edit: i updated the bullets up in the first post. the "pros" of staying w/ sears were misleading. the salary would be IF i got the promotion. as a salesperson, most of the pay is via commission. last year i only made $25000
Old 05-23-2009 | 09:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

My man, I'd say give it your all to stay where you are. Stability with a BIG company is more important than anything else right now, considering everything.

Don't consider moving until this try for Assistant Manager pans out.
Old 05-24-2009 | 08:56 AM

I agree with RED,

Right now you have a job and sure you have that other job lined up, but there is a chance you can get that better position. And I don't care what state the economy is in, people are always going to be driving and needing techs to fix their cars, so finding a tech job(worst case scenario if you don't get assistant manager) shouldn't be too hard as long as your persistent. Go for the assitant manager position. If you don't get it, then you can get something that is closer and more convenient to your needs. Don't shutdown the idea of asst. manager until the position is no longer available. I just recently got an IT job, I was up against 7 applicants, all with more experience than myself. The only thing I had over them was that I was an internal transfer. Hope that mess of words gave you some initiative.
Old 05-24-2009 | 07:16 PM
Administrator

How stable do you see your current employer? Do you think Sears is going to start laying people off, holding back bonuses or raises, or shut down completely?

How stable is this $13/hr oil change position? Have they been around a while? Do good business? Over staffed?
Old 05-25-2009 | 12:37 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

As hard as this is for me to say ( nana.gif ) I say stick with Sears in an attempt to move up to Asst Manager, commute n' all..

If it were me, I'd use the $13/hour job offer to my advantage in negotiating my way into the Asst. Man position with Sears. But honestly, you are the best judge of whether or not you think you can get the position. What do YOU honestly thinK?