Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Spyware/adware Remover?!? Help!

Old 10-19-2005, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know any good pop up removers or blockers? or registry virus removers?
my computers getting messed up, everytime i use internet explorer a website pops up and says you have registry problems and so on. The same website keeps coming up..
i know theres some viruses placed in the registry as well.. but i have a virus scanner and it wont detect it.

I also have spybot and ad-aware. these do not detect it either. Any other good program?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Hijack-This
Old 10-19-2005, 06:53 PM

I use SpySweeper and it does a good job. I think you can even try it out for free not too sure on that though.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:32 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

QUOTE (Casper @ Oct 20 2005, 10:46 AM)
Hijack-This

I concur.

Run "Hijack This" & delete any running programmes that look suspicious.

Run "Adaware", "SpywareBlaster" & "Spybot - Search & Destroy" (ensure you first download all current updates). I'd also recommend running something like "SpywareGuard" as it provides constant ongoing protection in the background.

Then you may need to go into your registry (in Safe mode) & delete anything that shouldn't be there. Take your time & don't delete something if you're unsure about it as that could mess other things up.

Also make sure it's not simply something that's worked itself onto your Toolbar or into your Favorites... This can sometimes happen.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

if you dont mind paying for it, get Trend Micro's PC-Cillin. it is THE best program out there.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:34 PM

What AV are you using? You might need to use something better. Try updating all of your scanning programs. Then re-boot in safe mode so nothing causing issues starts up. Sometimes a virus can hide itself from a scanner or even disable it completely. Run full system scans with all over your programs. You can try and download Microsofts Anti-Spyware Beta. I have seen it pick up some stuff. Also, make sure to check out your internet settings for Windows. If you have XP, you should really try to set up the firewall. Finally, update Windows as much as possible. If your using Internet Explorer, you might be open to many exploits that the updates can usually block. This might be a good time to think about using Firefox or some other internet browser. I hope this helps your problem.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Uninstall all software that you don't need. Look at all the crap in your system tray and get rid of what's not needed to be there.

Also, use System Mechanic from www.iolo.com on a regular basis for registry cleaning.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:28 PM

i have hijack-this and i've ran it.. theres a bunch of things in the registry that i have no clue about. So i don't want to start deleting things cause i know it can screw stuff up. How will i know what to delete?
Old 10-19-2005, 08:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Most of those programs are foolproof.

Look at what they are deleting and where from.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:32 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

For a start you could post the outcome of the Hijack This scan (just copy & paste it) & maybe someone here will be able to tell if there's something there that shouldn't be.

As for the registry... I haven't done it for some time but start with the obvious (internet related drop-down lists) but if there is something embedded in there it may very well be harder to spot.