Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

:split topic: DSM rant

Old 12-28-2004 | 08:01 PM

Default Re: Suspension for Veilside Kit

something in the design of the engine. the 6 bolt crank the oil squirters dont get stuck open. the 7 bolt engines the oil squirters get stuck open and overlubricating the crank. Although people aren't 100% sure why it happens but its rare in the 6bolt cranks and more frequent in the 7bolt cranks in the 4g63t's. The 6 and 7 bolt number referances to the number of bolts that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft.

here is a thread of crankwalk carnage
http://www.columbusdsm.com/forum/showthrea...light=crankwalk

Here is some info on crankwalk
https://www.prostreetonline.com/pso/pages/t...asp?articleid=5
Old 12-29-2004 | 10:52 AM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC
Default Re: JET-HOT Coating Discount!

Also swapped CSM's own. :twisted:
Old 12-29-2004 | 11:50 AM

Default Re: Speed Factor SS Equal Length Turbo Manifold GB

I've been around DSM's since I was 12 and I can say that they are very good at catching fire(2 times while I was in a DSM and I believe about 5 times I've seen it happen at the track). and breaking. Breaking trannies, breaking transfer cases, bending valves, failing oil pumps, blowing ECU's, (insert any electrical problem know to man here)...

They break break break. And let's not even START with the non turbo ones and their Chrysler engines. My lord, suckage to the extreme. And this is with an engine that was designed from the get go to be turboed. All this crap bout HAVING to use 2G head on 1G block, 6 bolt crank, blah blah.

DSM = endless money pit. DSM's are dead and gone, so let's get over it.

Also crankwalk is directly related to the engine being put on a diet to lighten it up in the 2g model. I had saved the exact explanation but of course now I can't find it. :?
Old 12-29-2004 | 12:09 PM

Default Re: :split topic: DSM rant

2nd Gen Eclipses and Talons are sweet! If I didn't have my Tibby, I would have a 2nd gen TSI or GSX.
Old 12-29-2004 | 12:50 PM

Default Re: Adrianna Lima anyone?

DSM's arent money pits.. you just have to build them and tune them properly like any other engine. the thing is people see how easy it is to make them fast.. temporarily that is... and end up blowing something. The same would hold true with beta's if people treated them the same way.
Old 12-30-2004 | 02:30 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC
Default Re: What does your deathclock say?

Dweet Im just curious. How much do you know about the 90-94 Excel 4G63T swap?
Old 12-30-2004 | 03:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: FS: BBTB

If you build them right, they are not going to break. Some people are idiots and run the SMIC and stock internals until they are running mid 12s in the quarter. Of course the engine is gonna be f0x0red if your ramming hot turbocharged air into an engine that is producing two times the power it was designed to run.

Betas would have the same reputation if everyone was like Tim and tried to run 17 PSI daily and not think its going to break. Hell, they're worse than Tim, because at least he's running an intercooler and tuning it properly. Most DSM owners once again, don't do air/fuel managing and upgrading the fuel system until they are into the 12s. Of course its not going to last long. lol.gif

I've taken extra precautions with mine, and when I do drive it, I drive it hard. And it takes it like a champ. Personally, I think they are better than the Beta at taking punishment. The Beta has such a good reputation because hardly anyone is pushing monster power through it in the USA.
Old 12-30-2004 | 05:05 PM

Default VHR Clutch

oh I like this topic. the 4G63 is one of the most known engines and sought after for tunning up there with the 2JZ-GTE and RB26DETT. Just look at how long its been used (DSM to Present day Evo's) And thanks to DSM dodge was actually cool.

QUOTE (hamhead)
Betas would have the same reputation if everyone was like Tim and tried to run 17 PSI daily and not think its going to break. Hell, they're worse than Tim, because at least he's running an intercooler and tuning it properly. Most DSM owners once again, don't do air/fuel managing and upgrading the fuel system until they are into the 12s. Of course its not going to last long.

Yea but DSM's came stock with a turbo (or two in some cases) our Cars did not so not everyone has the chance to blow it up.
Old 12-30-2004 | 06:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: Speed Factor SS Equal Length Turbo Manifold GB

Which is the point I'm making that:

6-bolt 4G63T > Beta.

If you want a comparable motor to the Beta, then the n/a 4G63 or 420A is a great one. They put down the same power stock, and some of them put down the same 106whp dynos you guys are getting. lol.gif When they fully n/a their cars, they get about 150ish whp. Similar to Tibbies. They only thing going for Tibbies is they aren't as fat as Eclipses. tongue.gif
Old 12-30-2004 | 06:52 PM

Default I need advice..

Yes, I fully agree with you.