Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Sound Card Problems....

Old 03-30-2007 | 12:34 AM

Vehicle: car

Ok, so I'm having problems with my soundcard. I know a thing or two about these here computaters, but maybe my knowledge has eluded me.

I have:
Asus K8V-X motherboard
AMD 3000+ Athlon 64 CPU
1 gig dual channel ram (Kingston or Corsair, I think Kingston)
ATI Radeon Sapphire 256mb video card
Onboard sound, but currently disabled

And my problem child
Creative labs Soundblaster 24 bit live Sound card

Heres what happened.. I put the machine together along with the new sound card, and the sound never worked. I didn't know if it was just my stereo or maybe just the cord, regardless, I was too lazy to fix it. So one day I just took the SoundBlaster out, uninstalled the drivers and software, and reinstalled my integrated sound. Everything worked after that, but about a month later I figured I'd try my "Good" card again. So I disable the onboard, install the new card, install drivers, Bam! Perfect!. Well, this morning, yet again, I'm acquainted with my old friend silence. It's not the cord or stereo either. I'm going to try and uninstall/install the drivers again, but I don't want to be doing this sh!t once a week. Any ideas what could be wrong you geeky gurus out there?
Old 03-30-2007 | 12:36 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Sometimes to disable the onboard you have to go into the BIOS..
that's really weird though.

Try using a different PCI slot, sometimes that works (for whatever reason, ask the electronic gods)
Old 03-30-2007 | 12:43 AM
Nex

your "good" card might not be so "good" after all. if disabling the BIOS doesnt work, though you shouldnt need to but w/e, you might want to check if your sound card is ok. First check if there's any visible/physical damage on it, any cracks or disconnected chips/transistors etc, if nothing then you might just have a faulty one. If its still under warranty you should be able to get another one. good luck dude.
Old 03-30-2007 | 01:03 AM

It's not a faulty card... I just don't get it. I just uninstalled/reinstalled, and it works perfectly. But I just did this lie a week ago. I don't want to sit here for ten minutes clicking next buttons weekly... I'm going to try and disable the card in the BIOS. Fortunately, this motherboard has a decently good one. Even tells me the temps of my machine. runnin in the 70's cool.gif . The only thing I can think of is the onboard and the PCI conflicting. I'll try switching slots too. And I did inspect the card, no visible damage. Just hexed... lol

Sh!t!! This thing aalready stopped working! I disabled my onboard in the BIOS and windows, no luck. That lasted like 5 minutes... I'm done with this piece o shite card.
Old 03-30-2007 | 01:05 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

ok... UNINSTALL first.

Disable and then Uninstall the drivers for the sound card from the device manager. Then remove the card. Then run the setup program. Then re-install the card. Your order was screwed up. That's probly the problem.
Old 03-30-2007 | 01:05 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

who is to say its not a faulty card, there could be the slightest part shorting our or something. If you oneboard sound was working and the card wasn't what are the other possible option? your card is facked get a new one
Old 03-30-2007 | 11:05 AM

Well fish, I don't know about you, but I don't have gold coins pouring out my arse, im an 18 year old kid that pays for everything i have. I don't have 50$ here or 20$ here to go spend on a sound card, so I'd like to figure out what's wrong with this one. I had problems with my video card to (see gripes and complaints) and that card turned out to be fine, so maybe there's just something fvcked with his one too.