Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

So I Got My Tib Back...

Old 06-08-2005 | 09:08 PM

I got it back last week but forgot to update on it, lol.

Okay, the back quarter panel was replaced and it looks AMAZING. You would never tell there was damage to begin with. I have to get a new set of the rubber paneling for the doors though. It's just a security thing with me. The body guy even redid my pinstripes. Now they are pure white with a sparkling silver in them. He did a cute little curve in the front too. Not only that, but he buffed and wheeled the ENTIRE car, so it looks like it rolled right out of the lot. There were also keymarks and scratches from the previous owner, but he painted over and wheeled that all out too! The car really does look brand new other than the discoloration/rusting underneath the car by the wheels. And being the sweetheart that he was, he even vacuumed and polished by entire interior. <3

I also ordered clear corners which should be here between tomorrow and Monday. Really, I look at my car and can never tell that it's already 4 years old. I'm just amazed at how great it looks right now.

To keep it that way, I'm going to be getting a whole load of Meguiar's (please tell me I spelt it right, lol) products for my Tib and my mom's Camaro. She is a freak and wipes all the dew off her Camaro in the morning before driving it to work, and washes it down when there's the slightest bit of dust on it. I figured her and I would have a weekly car cleaning session with only the best.

Here's a question:
What's the best way to get rid of the rusting near where the wheels are? I can't exactly describe it... but behind the wheels kind of wear they are attached and then around the wheels on the actual quarter panel. It's rusted from water obviously, and I'd like to clean that out. How would I go about that?

Anyways, when I get the clear corners on I'll take new pics. I've really been too lazy to focus on my car lately. We're moving possibly, so I've been doing major cleaning to get the house ready for possible buyers.
Old 06-08-2005 | 10:01 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

i am glad that you are happy it came out good, that is a good feelling i know. smile.gif
Old 06-08-2005 | 11:27 PM

Thanks man. smile.gif

Oh, here are pictures... to show the finishes and my rust problem.

No more dent!!!

See the rust too? How can I fix that?
Old 06-08-2005 | 11:43 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

u mean the tire well? isnt that plastic? in the pic thats the only thing i see resembling rust. but it cant be rust as its plastic. so its got to be mud, mixed with some other shit u run over on the road.
Old 06-09-2005 | 12:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai tiburon

Your talking about the hub where the wheel bolts up to...Its just part of the territory....all the tibs rust in that spot. THe only fix i think is new brakes or possibly some paint on the hub area.

JD tongue.gif
Old 06-09-2005 | 05:52 AM

Most cars rust there as well. Your only safe bet to keep it from happening... replace the brake discs with some aftermarket ones like we got in our last group buy. They were galvanized to prevent rusting. Generally, save for the caliper which is aluminum.. most of the hub and brake area is simply cast iron. Exposed iron rusts very easily.
Old 06-09-2005 | 06:19 AM

They did a nice job fixing your car. I bet if feels good to have it back.
Old 06-09-2005 | 09:17 AM

yup it always rusts there. nothing you can really do about but replacing the brake discs does help. also, depending on what wheels you have can hide it a little bit. i have 15 spoke wheels on my tib right now and you can't see it at all. only the red little pretty shiny caliper. tongue.gif
Old 06-09-2005 | 02:15 PM

Mad, about how much would that cost? I'm saving to move for school in January, so I don't have too much to spend. I'm hoping to get that taken care of by the winter, or at least next Spring.

Cyber, thanks! The guy that fixed my car is the husband of one of my mom's co-workers. He's got his own business and does all of the work himself. He even added on a towing business to his body shop. He didn't even cash my check for the repairs either. He's just a very laid back and friendly guy. He does the work because he enjoys it... not because he wants to make a quick buck. Knowing that, I trusted him completely and got more than the results I expected. smile.gif

RedShark, yeah I'm hoping to get new rims by the end of the summer. I was look on Wheelsmax and saw these Drag Dr-whatevers that were pretty nifty. I'm trying to keep the price range to no more than $500 for a set of 4. But yeah, hopefully by September that will be taken care of. I hate the stock rims so much, and I can't express it... lol.
Old 06-09-2005 | 07:21 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

get you a wire brush clean it, spray it with flat black krylon rust tought spray, and go and get you some undercoaring spray thats what i did and have not had a problem since.