Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Skydiving?

Old 06-16-2005, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always wanted to go just never had to time to do it. There is a school about a mile from my house that does it. Costs about $200 for school and jump. You can either do Tandem or Static line where there is a cable attached from you rip cord to the plane. The more you go the cheaper it gets too. Ill prolly try to go sometime this year. Let us know what you think after you go.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:21 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Definitely do it mate, you'll love it!

I went just a few months back & it was awesome! I went tandem & you barely notice the bloke on your back anyway. I went with my brother & some other friends (our girlfriends didn't do it though) & it's an experience you won't forget anytime soon.

After being crammed-in like sardines during a 20 minute plane-ride (to climb to the right altitude), we had a 1 minute freefall before pulling the chute & fart-arsing about steering & whatnot. It was such a rush & you're surprisingly calm leading upto, during & after the jump... At least we all were. It's hard to describe the feeling.

My bro' got filmed but I was a tight-arse on the day & chose not to pay the extra cash, which I regret because it's so funny to watch. My older bro likes to think he's a legend but on the footage he looks like he's shitting himself, litterally... Although he vehemently denies it!

These days they don't really do the camera on another dude's helmet anymore... On this occasion, the guy strapped to your back had a small wide-angle camera attached to his wrist. That way he can point it at you or the scenery or whatever during the jump. It's pretty cool. My bro' got it all on DVD & they had AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" playing on loop in the background, with all the cinematic slow-mo' & everything, then the jump all over again in real-time with all the wind-noise (of which there is a heap BTW) & also stills of the jump. Well worth the money.

Sorry for crapping on so much but you asked for experiences & that was mine.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2005, 06:33 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

My wife took me for my 21st birthday. We did a tandem 1 minute free fall from 12,500 feet and had it video taped for like $580. That price was for both of us. The initial jump is amazing. I was up there thinking, "Man, I'm about to jump out of this airplane!", and then the guy counts 3, 2, 1 and out we went. Truly amazing and totally worth it. That was also the first time my wife had ever been in a plane and she jumped out of it. Definitely do it, but go somewhere that does free falling and not immediate parachute ejection.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:43 AM

^^^thanks. that takes some ballz to jump out of a plane and especially your first time in one lol. im hoping to get more people to go so i dont have to spend as much(need money for my car wink1.gif )
Old 06-17-2005, 10:49 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

I've been wanting to go for some time now. I'd be freaking out on the ride up and would prolly have a tough time jumping out but....... I look forward to it.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

If you go tandem you won't have a problem jumping out because you'll be getting pushed out by the guy on your back.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:20 PM

I went out of a perfectly good plane twice in my life and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks to the USMC and a couple of harda$$ GSgt I worked for, we did two Static Line jumps for (FUN) I mean training....

The first time they had to push me out (scared sh@tless). The second time I was the first one out. I want to go and try the freefall thing I have been told that it is the best feeling.

Have fun. B)