Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Shopping For New Computer

Old 04-16-2007 | 12:09 PM

I have an HP laptop from school and dont really like it, we use Dell's at work and all I do is fix them (especially thier hard drives)

Sparticus, if you can wrench on a car you can build a computer. Most of the components are all color coded now so its pretty straightforward, and you'll get a better PC at a lower price that way.

If you are able to reuse things like your keyboard and monitor, that will keep the price even lower.

With Vista as the OS, I wouldnt touch a PC with less than a Gig of ram, but ideally I would want more like 1.5 or 2 gig of memory personally.
Old 04-16-2007 | 01:12 PM

I have to agree with the rest of the folks, less than 1 gig in RAM with Vista sucks, I would go at least 1.5 gigs...and don't hate on Dell laptops, I have the XPS M1210 and I really love that thing, I play F.E.A.R. with no problems at all, that thing is sweet and ultra-portable jaja lmao.gif
Old 04-16-2007 | 01:21 PM

My both of my dell laptops made it to and from Iraq with no problems and one is 3 years old and still runs like a champ.
Old 04-16-2007 | 02:25 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I personally bought what is a laptop+desktop.
It's a Toshiba with a 17" widescreen, then you just hook up a separate keyboard and mouse to it. Takes up less room than a desktop, has a nice lcd, AND the capability of being mobile if you need to be. The LCD is bright, good resolution, its kinda bulky, thoughI rarely ever carry it anywhere, but its smaller and quieter than a large desktop.
It's also really fast, P4 3.6GHz w/HT, 512 DDR RAM, 80GB HD, DVD/CD-RW. It's basically a mini-desktop. I think it's pretty too nana.gif Glossy pearl blue cover.

pics and reviews here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=7726

Also, I am selling it because I am in desperate need for money..crashed the tib, have to pay some credit card debt off, and I'm moving into a house as of June 1st, so I'll have rent to pay... 02.gif

I bought it about a year and a half ago for $1200, but because of my current situation, I'd let it go for MUCH much less .. kinda need the cash.

PM me if you're interested. otherwise, good luck finding somethin!

Side note: I would stay away from Vista at least for the next 3-4 months. Remember how it was when XP came out? All the bugs? I seriously think Microsoft uses the general public as its beta testers..then they just release service packs lmao.gif
Old 04-16-2007 | 03:53 PM

QUOTE (zoned019 @ Apr 16 2007, 03:25 PM)
Side note: I would stay away from Vista at least for the next 3-4 months. Remember how it was when XP came out? All the bugs? I seriously think Microsoft uses the general public as its beta testers..then they just release service packs lmao.gif

^^I second that...If I ever buy Vista that would be till next year because not everything is compatible right now, specially the drivers, too much incompatibility between software and hardware right now.

Old 04-16-2007 | 06:30 PM

Vehicle: car

effffff spending 1000+ on a computer... for that much you can get an intel extreme CPU lmao.gif Just go custom, you have to be mental to lay that much cash down if you can build one for a quarter of the price. Unless you go laptop, because the Dell XPS is nice, and i like toshibas a lot. Hp's... Not so much...
Old 04-16-2007 | 08:00 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

do people not know how to read...

i've been lookin into Dell, primarily because i have a Dell credit card... i'm also not lookin to spend a lot of money.

i did get good help in regards to boosting the RAM, other than that this thread is full of people who don't read. DELL CREDIT CARD. NOT A LOT OF MONEY.

i have a friend who can build me one... but he doesn't take my Dell Preferred Account.

ugh. locked.gif