Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Rocket Powered Cars

Old 05-31-2006, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Place a rocket powered car on a dyno. The dyno is designed to match the speed of the tires turning no matter what speed they are going. Will the car roll off the dyno, given enough power from the rocket?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i think it would. i was watching a clip on a 600whp golf on eiptuning.com and when giving it's all, it appeared to "want" to jump off. now a ROCKET powered car on the other hand, i believe wouldn't even need to think about jumping off, it probably just would. in my opinion.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:52 AM

For one thing, I don't believe that the rocket will be turning the wheels. It will be pushing the car. Also if it did somehow turn the whels with extreme force it would likely cause the whels to spin on the dyno wheel.
Couldn't be that good for the dyno either.

So why do you ask?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:56 AM

Just a hypothetical question. Seems to me though, that if the car were to move forward, it would try to turn the wheels, no?

Well then, what if that dyno were designed to instantly match any amount of turning force the wheels made?
Old 05-31-2006, 06:11 AM

The forward mlotion is generated by he rocket. If there is no power to the wheels then they wouldn't turn the dyno either.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:01 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

well i have seen pics of a 900hp chevy truck actually snap the ties and jump off the dyno

a rocket gives forward motion but there wouldnt be anything to turn the wheels so i woudl say either it would stay there or go visit venus or somethin
Old 05-31-2006, 08:58 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

With a rocket power you will have 0 whp, cause wheels will not be turned by rocket, and you can't measure horse power on a dyno. You need accelerometer or something like g-tech. And test it on the closed road or track.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:56 PM

Yeah but Im not trying to measure power or anything, Im just using dyno as an example.. it could be a conveyor belt.

If you were to place a rocket car on the ground on tires, then the wheels would roll as the car gained momentum, no? If you were to take the wheels off and just place the car on the ground, it would take an awfully powerful rocket to move the car across the ground.

If you were to place the car on a conveyor belt, then the wheels would want to start rolling as the rocket tries to push the car forward, but the conveyor belt is programmed to match whatever speed the wheels move at.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

lmao.gif

okay, okay...

you put a cheetah on a treadmill. Does the treadmill spin fast enough to hold the cheetah in place?
lmao.gif lmao.gif

no even better....

you hang a spongebob sbob.gif pinata from the ceiling in FRONT of a treadmill!

...and put REDZ on it. Will REDZ get spongebob?

Old 05-31-2006, 03:37 PM

At certain whip dynos are maxed out, they reach the fastest they can match on that dyno. Its around 1500-2000whp for most dynos I believe, not sure.

When dynos are maxed out, cars don't fly off the dyno usually. A car should NEVER jump off a dyno unless its not tied down properly.