Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Road Trip Ideas

Old 05-21-2007 | 09:30 AM

I'm looking for good road trip ideas.. looking to spend about a week on the road going places I havent been before when I get back stateside. Anyone have any good suggestions, im pretty limited to the east cost / midwest though.
Old 05-21-2007 | 09:34 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Bah, "road trips" and "east coast/midwest" were never meant to be together.

ROUTE 66!! Or just coast to coast, I did FL to WA in 5 days, one day at YellowStone.
Old 05-21-2007 | 09:42 AM

I've always wanted to do Route 66, where does it start and end? I wanted to hit up the grand canyon too if I'm heading out that way.
Old 05-21-2007 | 09:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Come out and see the majestic southwest man.

LOL

If you are determined to stay in the midwest/east coast, you'll see mostly what you've already seen. The highways through Kentucky are beautiful, but that's more for the fall time. I'd go across the upper US, come down through denver, then take 70through the rockies, one of the nicest drives ever. Then go into Utah, break south to arizona, then back east through NM. You'll have to deal with boring ass Texas/Arkansas/Oklahoma/Kansas though, that's the only bad part.
Old 05-21-2007 | 10:07 AM

I've always wanted to do Route 66, where does it start and end? I wanted to hit up the grand canyon too if I'm heading out that way.

Starts in Chicago, down to St. Louis, across MO to Springfield, (then the boring part) down to Oklahoma City, across the panhandle, and into Albuquerque, basically parallel to I-40 from here through Flagstaff, GRAND CANYON, The famous "London Bridge", and beautiful scenery all the way to the Hollywood Forever Cemetary.

It's probably the most diverse route across the US! wink1.gif

and doode! watch your step at the Grand Canyon.

lmao.gif

I went there expecting to see what I had already seen in sooo many pictures and videos, but when I walked up to the edge it nearly knocked me off my fvckin feet. There is NOTHING like seeing a big whole and looking to the other side, 11 MILES AWAY. OMFG, that's Utah. LOL The helicopter rides are well worth the money spent. It's just a nice place to kick back.
Old 05-21-2007 | 10:47 AM

Hmm I could take 70 west then and hit 66 between Chicago and St. Louis..... I still want to hitup yellowstone on the way home
Old 05-21-2007 | 10:55 AM

Ooo, this is getting to be a longer-than-a-week trip..

Road trips suck when you are on a schedule, and time constraint forcing you to be on the road most of the time. I like just going driving for driving's sake, where am I gonna stay? I dunno, I'll find out when the sun goes down.

But if you have the time, you could hit the 66, do it's thing to L.A. (I dunno if LA is your cup of tea or not, it's totally bypass-able..), then do a lil' HWY 101 up the Pacific Coast, see the Golden Gate? and cut East round the time you get to YellowStone (probably having to drive across boring Oregon..).

I dunno.. you going alone? in the Mazda?
Old 05-21-2007 | 10:56 AM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Just take I-75 to florida and back...
Old 05-21-2007 | 11:12 AM

I want to stay off major highways and go the scenic route, plus I've done the 75 thing all the way to where it ends in Florida. I want fun curvy roads or open straight stretches to get on my car without anyone in the way
Old 05-21-2007 | 11:21 AM

you just described route 66.

Plus I'm sure REDZMAN would be more than happy to show you the drive up Sandia Mountain, fast n' fun.

And when you pass ABQ, I'd meet in you Flagstaff if you wanted to do the "Mingus Run" (search for the thread, you can see google earth images of HWY89) down to Prescott. And it's a short 45 minutes back onto Route 66 from Prescott.

If you'll be in the 3, you will be AMAZED at what your car can do on some of these mountain runs (well, I was).