Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Reply if you hate Honda!

Old 08-29-2001 | 07:39 PM

Default Reply if you hate Honda!

I'm one of only three (known) Tiburon owners in my town, and perhaps the only one that is seriously interested in doing some street racing modifications (I'm thinking about an air intake and mabey a new exhaust). However, everwhere I look, the only street racing modified cars I see are ugly, unpainted-lip-spoiler, rice-rocket Hondas. You know the kind: 5 years old or so, had dents removed but not repainted, clashing two-tone paint job (spray-paint?), ugly, boxy, cheap. But they've got more HP and better acceleration than my car, and they're driven by guys with a seemingly unending flow of cash to improve them. They've even formed several teams (Honda only, of course). I writing this simply because I'm fed up with all of their Honda bs.
Old 08-29-2001 | 11:14 PM

Vehicle: 99 Red Tib

Josh,

Man don't let it get to you. I don't hate Honda's in general but I understand your situation. Here in FL there are alot of Honda owners who compliment me on my tib so not all honda owners are arrogant. Just ignore them and hook up your tib to the fullest and dust them and then maybe you can get some respect.

Red Tib
Old 08-30-2001 | 12:16 AM

I am not the biggest fan of honda. Personally I think they are the most overrated automobile in the history of cars. Not all honda tuners are assholes, about 85% or so! The problem with honda tuners is that their ego's get pumped every time they read Import Tuner and Sport Compact Car, ever time they go to their local rice shop, and every time they go to an import get together. They feel like they are the center of the import universe, and thus they think everyone else is basically under them. Don't let it get to you. They are assholes. Besides they are the same idiots who believe honda created vale timming , and they actually think it has something to do with overrall power output. If they are so stupid that they don't even know the truth about the overhyped technology in their cars, how can they comment on anyone elses? Think about it! Don't sweat it!

Honda - Hardly Orignal Nothing Dramatic Automobliles

[ August 30, 2001: Message edited by: Jaws ]
Old 08-30-2001 | 12:20 AM

And what if we don't hate Hondas? rolleyes.gif

There are always a few idiots everywhere you look. And the fact that there are alot of Hondas out there means there are alot of idiots driving Hondas. That isn't a reason to hate the car. Honda has come along way. Isn't that what Hyundai is trying to do? You gots ta respect dem! smile.gif
Old 08-30-2001 | 03:05 AM

Well, I don't hate Honda.

Riced out cars in general are funny, though. There's a Neon down the street that I've been meaning to take pics of to send to Bryan's Riceboy Page. It's funny!

There are definitely more riced out Hondas around than just about anything else, and they get tons of aftermarket Rice support. No big deal. It's the drivers that are stupid. Not Honda.

Honda makes a good quality, reliable car. They have a reasonable chassis and suspension as a platform for go-fast stuff. But at the end of the day, they're selling econo-boxes. Honda's quality has improved a LOT over the last 30 years. And even 30 years ago, their build quality was equal to or better than American auto manufacturers. They've managed to maintain that edge.

Japanese auto manufacturers in general have a reputation for makeing good stuff, but it wasn't that long ago that anything with a "Made in Japan" label was regarded as cheap in both price and quality. That's pretty much reversed now.

Hyundai made it's entry into the North American market with cars like the Pony, and the Excel. On the whole, those cars were just bad. People were en masse walking away from the cars, and leting the dealerships repossess them, because their market value was less than the amount that they still owed on the loan.

I'd guess that most people here know that Hyundai has come a long way towards improving the quality of the cars that they're selling, but I'd still say that it was a very poor marketing move to sell those POS cars as a company introduction. Those old Ponys are STILL what people tend to think of when they think of Hyundai.

A friend of mine once said: "One of these days Hyundai is going to 'figure it out' and build a really good car. It might even be the Tiburon, but I'm not buying one, because I don't know that it isn't another dud." This was when the Tiburon was just released. As I recal they still had some issues at the time, but they were a vast improvement. (As you all know.)

If all the import "performance" companies started supporting Hyundai, and people were going nuts ricing up Hyundais, would you hate Hyundai then?

The typical Honda riceboy is so disconnected from reality... Honda cars have a lot of potential. And the S2000 is getting the best HP/litre of any NA engine in production currently. But compare some data -- even from other Japanese manufacturers...

Nissan outfits their cars with larger engines (on average) and better power/weight ratios than Honda. Their base engine is typically 2 litre, as opposed to Honda's 1.6. In addition, Nissan takes a more pro-active performance design, which makes for excellent drivelines, and suspensions. The cars tend to be lightweight, and have much better ultimate potential than Honda.

Toyota offers better reliability, on average, and while many of their so-called "sports" cars are lacking in the performance arena (95 BHP in a Paseo. Yawn.) their handling is second to none. That same 95 BHP Paseo will handle near 1G on the skidpad stock, and had an optional TRD package that would take it to 1.06G available from the factory. The MR2 is also a very underrated car. With mid-engine rear wheel drive, not to mention it's really low weight, and optional forced aspiration from the factory, it's modifiable to high HP levels by cranking up the boost with inexpensive bolt-ons. Just crank up the boost!

There are many better performance choices than a Honda Civic, but the Civic is still the car of choice for the Rice boy. They've been sucked into a marketing image.

I'm not as familiar with the Hyundai engine offerings, but right now, the biggest barrier to Hyundai, as I see it is the afterimage of 1-2 year old Hyundai Ponys leaving bug blue clouds of smoke behind them everywhere they went. It's not even the performance reputation that's waiting. A stock Tiburon will take on a Honda Civic Si, easy. It'll keep up with a Cavalier and then some. A base model Accent will keep up to a Civic CX or DX too. It's not the performance that's lacking. It's the image and the reliability history.

The image can be fixed. Hyundai is starting to turn that around. The reliability history is something else. Honda worked damn hard for more than 20 years to get that reputation going. Hyundai had a bad start, so they're going to have to work at it even harder. (And the bar is much higher now than it was in the 60s and 70s!) Honda also had the National Energy crisis in the 70s to help promote their cars over the domestics.
Old 08-30-2001 | 03:34 AM

Good point Dan!!
Old 08-30-2001 | 06:58 AM

Which one?

I guess I went into "spew" mode...
Old 08-30-2001 | 10:26 AM

hey I am a Honda owner.and I dont hate on Tiburons.I do agree though thier is alot of people out there that do own Hondas that think they are the **** and that no ones car is better.I hate that.big woop you have a Honda.so what.I dont see Honda giving a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty with thier cars like Hyundais do.Honda is not all good like people think it is.truthfully I cant wait to get rid of mine.yeah there is alot of stuff you can do to Hondas compared to Hyundais but so what over all I think the Hyundai is better than the Honda.
Ice has a 97 Tiburon hasn't had any problems with his car since he bought it. my 2000 Civic..well transmission screwed up over heated before I went down to York I keep hearing this clicking noise up by my axle and thier is a hissing noise coming from my A/c.so which one do you think is better.ummmmm Hyundai.
I am not one of those people that go around dissing Hyundais I respect people that repect thier cars.hey if it makes you feel better you can race my civic you'll win.
hope you dont hate me cause I am a Honda owner. rolleyes.gif
Old 08-30-2001 | 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I don't hate hondas. I don't even hate riceboys.

I just hate the PEOPLE who give off attitude that their car is better because it is "X" brand. They could drive a Lexus or a Porsche or a Yugo...but in the end...it's the driver who is the jerk...not the car.
Old 08-30-2001 | 08:54 PM

It really aint nothing but a feeling, go drive a lexus! rolleyes.gif