Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

red power ranger, actor, kills roommate with sword

Old 02-02-2015 | 04:32 PM

Vehicle: 00 Tiburon
Default red power ranger, actor, kills roommate with sword

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...-sword-attack/

Los Angeles County Sheriff's officials said Ricardo Medina Jr., 36, was being held on $1 million bail late Sunday in connection with the stabbing death of Joshua Sutter, also 36, at the apartment they shared in Palmdale, Calif.

A spokeswoman for the sheriff's office said that Medina and Sutter got into an argument that escalated into a fight shortly before 4 p.m. local time Saturday. Deputy Juanita Navarro-Suarez said that Medina went into his bedroom with his girlfriend and locked the door.

However, Navarro-Suarez said that Sutter forced the bedroom door open. That's when Medina allegedly picked up the sword that he kept next to the bedroom door and stabbed Sutter once in the abdomen.

Investigators said Medina called 911 himself and waited for first responders to arrive. He is due in court in Lancaster, Calif. on Tuesday.

Old 02-02-2015 | 04:52 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I've been in the situation where a psycho roommate forces himself into my room. My reaction was the same, minus the stabbing. It ended with sword pointing at body action. Any sane person is going to pretty much back down after that. So I can't imagine this was anything more than self defense.
Old 02-02-2015 | 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

This is the 21st century, people! Get a gun already!
Old 02-03-2015 | 06:05 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Actually, I wouldnt mind if we went back to the days of sword fighting. It would make things much much more interesting....

Old 02-03-2015 | 09:55 AM

I like my guns and all, but beheading a dude is a lot more instantaneous and precise.
Old 02-03-2015 | 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

um . . .no.
Old 02-04-2015 | 09:25 AM

At that range, yes.

Old 02-04-2015 | 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Swords aren't more precise unless you're a skilled practitioner of something like Kendo. Approximately 100% of the population of the USA are not certified ninja. When guns came to japan, the samurai class fell hard, to peasants not even worthy of carrying a dignified weapon like a sword. And unless you take a head clean off, sever a spinal cord, or put BOTH legs out of commission, all of a sudden you are within contact distance of someone who is an unknown position on the spectrum from dead to Rodney King level PCP high feeling no pain.

A Mozambique Drill is something you CAN practice at home and even get good at . . . and (something like) it can be done from across the room, while backing away from crazydudes. And if you mess it up, you have up to a dozen or more tries depending on magazine capacity. No, you won't be shooting tight groups on a moving head . . . but then again who are we kidding - you're not cutting off a moving head either.

Nobody wins a stabbing competition. Knife fights are a little better, if you are good. Coming from someone who HAS been badly cut with a pocket knife, take my advice: it's better to shoot somebody a bunch of times than to get cut.
Old 02-05-2015 | 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stocker
Swords aren't more precise unless you're a skilled practitioner of something like Kendo.
Surface area of the sword vs. surface area of a bullet.... I'll just let you do the math

Approximately 100% of the population of the USA are not certified ninja.
And around 87% of the population have a drivers license yet most still can't do that right. But no, i think you're onto something here. I mean, logical progression and all.

When guns came to japan, the samurai class fell hard, to peasants not even worthy of carrying a dignified weapon like a sword.
And it's a known fact that every one of those battles occurred in a 12x12 box.

And unless you take a head clean off, sever a spinal cord, or put BOTH legs out of commission, all of a sudden you are within contact distance of someone who is an unknown position on the spectrum from dead to Rodney King level PCP high feeling no pain.
I forgot all of that was in center mass. Sorry

A Mozambique Drill is something you CAN practice at home and even get good at . . . and (something like) it can be done from across the room, while backing away from crazydudes.
Just in case you one day wake up to find Chris Benoit is your roommate.

And if you mess it up, you have up to a dozen or more tries depending on magazine capacity.
Unless "Rodney King level PCP high feeling no pain." Oh, forgot about that part.

No, you won't be shooting tight groups on a moving head . . .
My point exactly.

but then again who are we kidding - you're not cutting off a moving head either.
Um, actually depending on the weight, strength, sharpness, etc of the sword, it's possible. Either way, even a novice swinging wildly, the sword equivalent of spray 'n prey, toward the face has a good chance of landing a hard hit to critical organs: brain, eyes, etc. Effectively dropping even the most drugged assailant.

Nobody wins a stabbing competition.
Clearly he did

Knife fights are a little better, if you are good.
But that's not the scenario given, is it?
Old 02-05-2015 | 09:52 AM

(cont.)

Coming from someone who HAS been badly cut with a pocket knife, take my advice: it's better to shoot somebody a bunch of times than to get cut.
Really? REALLY! This is your closing argument? "I was cut once by a small blade, therefore getting hit with a much larger, weighted bladed implement designed solely to wage physical war must not be anywhere near as effective as a bullet."

I'm not even going to critique that any further.