Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Real life Jurassic Park???

Old 11-05-2008 | 01:59 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Real life Jurassic Park???

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/11/04...lone/index.html

TOKYO, Japan (CNN) -- Japanese scientists have produced clones of mice that have been dead and frozen for 16 years -- a feat that could lead researchers to one day resurrect long-extinct species, such as the mammoth.

Until now, scientists have only been able to produce clones using cells from live animals. This is how researchers created Dolly the Sheep, the first mammal to be cloned from an adult animal.

Researchers had thought that frozen cells were unusable because ice crystals would have damaged the DNA. That belief would rule out the possibility of resurrecting extinct animals from their frozen remains.

But the latest research -- published in the journal, Proceedings for the National Academy of Sciences -- shows that scientists may have overcome the obstacle.

Researchers at the Riken Center for Developmental Biology in Kobe, Japan, used cells from mice that had been frozen for 16 years at -20 Celsius (-4 degrees Fahrenheit).

They extracted the nucleus and injected it into eggs whose DNA had been removed. Several steps later, the scientists were able to clone the mice.

"This is the first time a mammal has been cloned from a sample stored at conditions reasonably close to what might be expected in permafrost," Teruhiko Wakayama, who led the study, said in a statement.

"(It) gives some hope for those who might seek to clone extinct species from frozen carcasses."

BRING ON THE RAPTORS AND T-REX!!! muahaha.gif floyd.gif
Old 11-05-2008 | 02:31 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Ahh, screwing with nature. And they'll be wondering where they went wrong when a sabertooth escapes the zoo and start's devouring people........................................DUH confused1.gif
Old 11-05-2008 | 03:14 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Mammoths will be cloned before 2050, that's my prediction.

They actually found preserved soft bone tissue in a tyrannosaurus femur a while back. The DNA had been destroyed, but if by chance there was a fossilized specimen which spent a long time frozen as well it's possible that you could find some dinosaur DNA. Scientists have recovered DNA from bacteria that's over a million years old now. If nothing else anything living within the last million years could potentially be cloned. Neanderthals, anyone? That's my personal hope. I would love to have them clone up some Neanderthals.
Old 11-05-2008 | 04:05 PM

Nice, then Gieco would have to give up their ad campaign as it would be considered racist, lol.
Old 11-05-2008 | 04:28 PM
Administrator

I was just figuring we could define them as not human and enslave them for a few hundred years.
Old 11-05-2008 | 04:41 PM

With our luck, we would come to realize they were actually smarter then us and that whole scenerio would be turned around. I'm not ready to work that hard.
Old 11-05-2008 | 04:50 PM
Administrator

True, the Neanderthals had a larger braincase than us H. Sapiens, so they could potentially have been smarter and just failed for any of many reasons.

If there is only a small genetic pool though soon their inbreeding will ruin their superior intelligence and we can enslave them again.
Old 11-05-2008 | 05:08 PM

Well like I said. I'm not willing to have to work that hard over a science experiment gone wrong. i work hard enough now damnit! I wonder what my slave name would be?
Old 11-05-2008 | 06:23 PM
Administrator

Well, it would probably be a series of grunts if movies with Neanderthals in them are close to correct, although our paleolithic overlords might just adopt English since their language (if they had one) is as extinct as they are and there's nobody to teach it to them.
Old 11-05-2008 | 06:37 PM

Perhaps a series of fart noises. Diabetic candies tend to cause some exagerrated gas problems, hahaha!

Uh uh uh.....pftt..ppfffftttt...uh uh. Hey, sounds good to me, lol.