Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Quit My Job Today!

Old 09-15-2008 | 12:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I've was really worried putting in my Resignation because you never know how a boss is going to take it. I put mine in this morning setting the 26th for my last day. My boss was really cool about it which is a big thing for me, I have never burnt a bridge in my career and I wouldn't want to start now because my new job/career has a risk factor of lower pay for the first year or two.

Anyways I thought I would just share it because I'm pretty damn excited about it all!

My old job is Estimator for Facchina Construction in Southeast Florida which builds about $100 million a year. I'm usually responsible for about $15-30 million worth of contracts. I get paid a great salary and have great benefits. They are a General Contractor so they handle all trades of work which requires me to be less of an "expert" and more of a "jack of trades".

My new job is Project Manager/Estimator for Design Glazing Concepts, LLC. in Sterling, VA which builds about $1 million a year. I will be responsible for the construction and estimating of about $1 million dollars (increasing every year) my first year. They are a Glass Contractor so I will now only work with Glass and aluminum framing which enables me to be an expert on glass curtain walls and storefronts.

I know most of you probably will find this to be a dumb thread but I was excited and just wanted to announce my move to northern VA/D.C. area.

Some other good things about the new job: I will have welders that work underneath me so I can get free welding help. Also we have a powder coating station in the shop I can use whenever.

I look forward to meeting all you Tri-State Tib owners in the near future!
Old 09-15-2008 | 12:35 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Congrats! Sounds like a big step up.
Old 09-15-2008 | 01:10 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Not a dumb thread at all, the best of luck with your new job!
Old 09-15-2008 | 01:13 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

work your way up and land a higher paying job in VA. most big contracting business' are located here. it is really busy though and the people are always in a rush and aren't as laid back in florida. expect a few fingers up in the air.

perhaps we can have a meet of somekind. i missed the last meet because i was getting stuff done to the car at the time, but let me know whats up!
Old 09-15-2008 | 01:22 PM
Banned

congrats man. fing02.gif know you have been excited about this for a while, glad it looks to be working out..

now hopefully i can be so lucky when i start the search to move back to MI..

i'd really like to move to VA or TN one day down the line, always loved both states..

i have cousins that live in newport news, VA
Old 09-15-2008 | 01:30 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

congrats man...can't wait to meet up with you up here
Old 09-15-2008 | 01:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

thanks a lot guys!

HKC, I know just what your saying and I gotta say the way things are down here with the laid back attitude is what drives me nuts. I'm a way laid back kinda guy, most people say I sound like a california surfer but when it comes to work I can't stand the sitting still bit. I gotta be busy and I need new challenges coming at me so this new career line will be great.

This new job wasn't decided overnight also. With the way economy is going and everything else in my life I put a lot of time into this decision and discussed it with the new potential boss for a total of 6 hours (4 different conversations) before I jumped into it. There is a lot of potential for me with this company as the owner is looking to bring me in now with hopes that in 3 years I could be senior project manager and in 5 years become Vice President with an option to buy in...if all goes as planned then thats where its at!

Socks, that would be awesome if you got out this way in the future, I always thought you were a pretty cool guy. Either way I know how you feel about trying to get back to MI and I hope things go just as well for you if not better on your transition.
Old 09-15-2008 | 02:18 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

well congrats but hate to see dedicated fl members leave-...

congrats and keep up the progress on the tib!
Old 09-15-2008 | 02:33 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Great news for you fing02.gif fing02.gif fing02.gif . Sounds like a company with a great prospects. I sometimes envy you guys in the States for being such an easy thing to change jobs. Here in Croatia most of the people ends up working the same job for 10 or even more years without any prospects of changing to something else. Good luck with the new job. fing02.gif
Old 09-15-2008 | 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 01 / Hyundai / Tiburon

Thats awesome man, welcome to northern VA when you get here. Ive heard of people making tons of money in sterling VA. I know a few guys who work in that area in construction and they are pretty well off. congrats dude