Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Question For College Students Living Away From Home.

Old 01-17-2006 | 10:25 PM

College is tough, theres never enough time. I am taking 20 credit hours, while trying to become a flight instructor. Last night I was up writting lesson plans and got 2 hours sleep before my 8am. I also work at the airport, where they pay me 7/hr, and I am there whenever I am not sleeping, studying, doing lessons, flying or in class.

My advice to you is to get as many scholarships as you can manage before you get to school, then take out loans for the rest, and bust your ass to get decent grades in hopes of obtaining more scholarships. If you need extra cash to make ends meet, pad up your loans, but dont resort to credit card debt when youre young.

As I write this I havent slept but maybe 6 hours in the past 3 days, so scholarships are the only way to go!

Good luck cool.gif
Old 01-17-2006 | 10:57 PM

as i said before.. bestbuy is a BAD place to work for right now...HUGE problems with labor money - LOW hrs.. my girl is working with me... she got 10 hrs this week..after having 0 hrs last week...and mostlikely, she won't have any next week either
Old 01-18-2006 | 07:34 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

QUOTE (98tibby)
College is tough, theres never enough time. I am taking 20 credit hours, while trying to become a flight instructor. Last night I was up writting lesson plans and got 2 hours sleep before my 8am. I also work at the airport, where they pay me 7/hr, and I am there whenever I am not sleeping, studying, doing lessons, flying or in class.

LMFAO...............

I am currently going on 3hrs sleep last night and I have to wake up at 4am for my 5:15 profieciency flight...ugh. Should be easy since I know the instructor (we partied, cool.gif) but there are still FAA minimums to be met. I feel ya Mitch. =(

The day I get 8hrs of sleep in college is the day faith stops wearing pink man thongs...

Everyone is in debt after college (except those lucky few) but NO ONE should be in serious credit card debt after graduation. Because then credit card payments become first priority and loans gets pushed away, then loans get deferred to collection agencies and you get fooked.

EDIT: removed bad words
EDIT2: removed rest of words
EDIT3: removed the entire section after editing you cant even understand anything(i saw some that you missed d) come on pat what the hell?

This post has been edited by Dmitry: Today, 11:06 AM
This post has been edited by majikTib: Today, 1:26 PM
Old 01-18-2006 | 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

^^ Are you kidding me?? That has got to be the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard barring the muffler belt jokes.

Credit Cards are just small loans that you take out from the bank that issues the card, with triple the amount of interest. Credit cards are not extensions of income. If you can't afford it, don't put it on the credit card. simple as that. If you can afford in within 30 days or whatever, go nuts, but not the other way around.

If anything, I do believe in them as a great way to create a credit rating. But use the card to purchase the item, then pay off the full amount when the bill comes. Do not make the payments, you will never pay off the charge you made, it's all interest. Keep in mind the interest is charged on the entire balance of the credit card, not just the items that are past due. That's how they get you. smileysex5.gif

Anyway, get a job at McDonald's or a fast food restaurant. They are pretty accomodating and the job isn't really all that difficult, stress wise.
Old 01-18-2006 | 10:12 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Patreezy, Dude, wtf? Please do not post such a bad words here or I will have to wash your hands with a soapbox.gif so that you wouldn't type that any more wink1.gif
Old 01-18-2006 | 05:51 PM

I say go for federal loans, they are the one loan worth getting, the interest rate is the best you will likely see in your life. If you work to pay most of your expenses yourself, your grades will suffer, as will your social life. I learned that the hard way, and after several semesters with terrible grades, ended up only taking 6-9 credit hours for several years just so I could afford school, and not be overwhelmed with classes I didn't have time to study for or even attend many mornings because I was so tired. If I had simply gotten the loans, I would have graduated years ago and paid a lot of them off by now since I'd be making 2x as much.

Now I'm building $5k in debt a year, but I'll be done soon. I can take 18 hours and my life is more enjoyable than only taking 6 and working to pay all the bills. There are ways to get out of the loans too. Become a public school teacher for several years and get them reduced substantially, for instance. I'm hoping to get a foreign service job, which pays off $4,700 each year. That applies to a lot of govt jobs.

Oh, and apply for scholarships. Some of them are suprisingly easy to to get, even if they are small.
Old 01-18-2006 | 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

u could deliver pizza's i did it for a year i got minimum wage but i was geting 50 - 80 dollars a day in tips for 4 -6 hours of work and they will work around your schedule they usually need drivers anyway.
Old 01-18-2006 | 09:37 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Silent - might not be a good idea if he's AWAY at college. Doesn't know the area that well, and working at night isn't the easy to notice street signs and landmarks. shrug.gif maybe it'll get you in good with the party people.

I suggest you get in good with Frat guys, and offer to be the DD. When you take them home, "stop for gas" and ask them to pitch in. Pocket it, and return to the road. Do it for the next group of people and so on. wink1.gif
Results:
- Free ride into the party
- "Friends"
- money from "friends"
- free beer
Old 01-19-2006 | 01:42 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (SilentSecret @ Jan 19 2006, 04:00 AM)
u could deliver pizza's i did it for a year i got minimum wage but i was geting 50 - 80 dollars a day in tips for 4 -6 hours of work and they will work around your schedule they usually need drivers anyway.

Thanks everybody I've reading everybodies reply and taking notes in my Notebook. As far as this Deliver job goes (Usage of car=more miles=more repairs=more maintainance=gas money). Dam, I wish Hyundai made a Diesel because im really liking that VW golf TDI Diesel. 42/49 MPG
Old 01-19-2006 | 01:53 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

where will you be going to school?