Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Question For College Students Living Away From Home.

Old 01-17-2006 | 11:06 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

i think i feel my shoulder swelling up and my hearing getting MUCH worse suddenly........
Old 01-17-2006 | 02:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

VA won't compensate you for Hearing loss in the service, they give you earplugs or they are avaialble, if you don't use them, tough luck.

For the rest, make sure you go to SICK CALL when you are sick. Don't "MAN IT UP" and avoid it. I've got several friends that thought they were studs getting out after 5 or 6 years with thin ass medical records. Now they can't stand straight or have severe issues elsewhere but the VA won't give them anything because there's no record of anything.
Old 01-17-2006 | 03:04 PM

QUOTE (zoned019 @ Jan 17 2006, 07:05 AM)
Mad, most colleges pay you minimum wage for on-campus work.

That sucks... maybe it was because I am a theatre tech... I made 11/hr
Old 01-17-2006 | 03:14 PM

I work on cars.... fing02.gif
Old 01-17-2006 | 04:26 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned applying for scholarships. If you have a good school history and past teachers willing to write good reference letters for you, nothing beats a few thousand dollars for filling out some paperwork and spending a few hours writing an essay/speech/whatever hoop they want you to jump through. For many universities, you can fill out a single application and they'll submit it to all the ones you qualify for.

Living on campus and having no other distractions (like a job! haha) really helped me do outstanding in all my classes. Working part-time last semester (only 15 hours a week even) really stressed my sanity.

It's really a choice between living cheap for a while to get through college, getting in debt, or losing your sanity over your overbearing workload and lack of time to do it in.
Old 01-17-2006 | 05:08 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Sell blood/plasma (plasma pays well)
Sell sperm
Take off your clothes for money
Put your clothes back on for more money
Work in the on-campus computer labs for minimum wage, while doing homework and browsing RDTiburon.com
Work in a fine-dining restaurant so you can make decent tips in a short period of time.
Old 01-17-2006 | 06:11 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

/\ where do you go that buys blood? because everytime i go i only get a cookie and juice lol. or was that whole reply a joke?

I work at walmart, $8.30 an hour for the summer and $7.30 while im at school. work 30-40 hours while going to school full time, thinking about working mornings at some other place on the weekends to make some extra dough. money situation is ok, but i pay for it with a loss of sleep/ free time.

oh yeah and walmart likes to give me gay shifts till 1130 at night, so i get home and settled and its midnight, lets start studdying and get up at 6-7am for school
Old 01-17-2006 | 07:59 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jan 17 2006, 03:11 PM)
VA won't compensate you for Hearing loss in the service, they give you earplugs or they are avaialble, if you don't use them, tough luck.

For the rest, make sure you go to SICK CALL when you are sick. Don't "MAN IT UP" and avoid it. I've got several friends that thought they were studs getting out after 5 or 6 years with thin ass medical records. Now they can't stand straight or have severe issues elsewhere but the VA won't give them anything because there's no record of anything.

hey dude, my hear issues are from an IED (roadside bombs) while driving in the back of an uparmored. 2 katusha rockets and 1 mortar landed within 100 meters of my radar while i was manning it. Once i was filling up a generator with JP-8 and a rocket came in, I was on the ground for about 5 minutes petrified. When i finally got up i couldn't hear anything for about 10 minutes. People were saying my name and i could bearly make it out. You can't be expected to wear ear plugs all the time.

I always max my pushups in PT because i push myself. I've been to sick call a couple of times for my shoulder. I still need to get a hearing apointment though.
Old 01-17-2006 | 07:59 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Hospitals. Hospitals will pay pretty good for Plasma (taking blood and removing plasma from it, and sometimes injecting blood back into you). I've heard it anywhere from $50-100 depending on the need.
Old 01-17-2006 | 10:04 PM

im a full time student, i have 16 hours of classes. I work at my local best buy in the geek squad, i make 10.50 an hour. if you can get a job at a best buy that would be awesome because they pay well and they usually work with you on your schedule. but i get paid every 2 weeks and i make anywhere from 4-500 every 2 weeks. good luck man.