Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Printing Wirelessly Through Network

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:38 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

On your laptop, hold down the Windows Key and press the Pause / Break button (top right of keyboard next to print screen).

Tell me what workgroup it has for your laptop.

For your desktop, do the same thing. Try to change the workground on the desktop to the same as what you saw on your laptop.
Old 11-21-2008 | 07:48 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

that didnt work. i have an hp laptop. the pause button is the "fn" of the "pg up" key and the break button is the "fn" of the "pg dn" key. What exactly do I need to press in order to find wut workgroup my laptop is on?
Old 11-21-2008 | 07:49 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Right Click on My Computer and click Properties, it's the same thing.

TALK IN THE SHOUTBOX, this will go quicker
Old 11-21-2008 | 08:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (DTN @ Nov 21 2008, 09:23 PM)
it only takes a minute to change the workgroup. You could always change your desktop to the other workgroup name. There's a way you can set up the infrastructure to handle multiple work groups, but I'm not sure how to do that without a windows server.

don't change the domain, then you won't have access at school, and you can't add yourself to the domain again without administrator rights.

try this. go to start > run > type cmd and hit enter

in command prompt type ipconfig and then make a note of the ethernet ip address.

go to the laptop and type in "\\desktopipaddress" in the address bar in my computer. If you don't pull it up its an access issue. If that doesn't work open command prompt on the laptop and type "ping desktopipaddress" note what happens.

On the other hand if it lets you open up the desktop on the laptop all you'll need to do is double click the printer on the desktop. But then you'll need to set the desktop to static ip.

report back!
Old 11-21-2008 | 08:42 PM

ok. typing that into the address bar in My Computer came back with an error code stating:

"Windows cannot find "\\desktopipaddress". Check spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the Start button and the clicking Search."

Putting what you said into the command prompt comes back with:

"Ping request could not find host desktopipaddress. Please check the name and try again."
Old 11-21-2008 | 08:53 PM

um did you replace desktopipaddres with the desktop's ip address?

should be 192.168.1.xx
Old 11-21-2008 | 09:41 PM

yes i did. i tried doing it through the command prompt again and got this:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.104 with 32 bytes of data:
Packets: Sent = 4, Recieved = 0, Lost = 4 <100% loss>,

C:\Documents and Settings\manteyd>
Old 11-21-2008 | 09:41 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

The best piece of advice to give you is stop trying lol

Windows XP's "support" for workgroup networking is unbelievably shitty (and I thought it was shitty in windows 95/98, but at least it somewhat worked back then). Most of the time when you try something everything freezes waiting for some immense timeouts (apparently this part of microsoft never heard of threads and progress bars)

I tried to share files between my carpc or laptop and my desktop and it was hopeless. At some point I actually got it working by manualy typing \\<ip>\ in the Run.. box (like Supercow suggested), but i NEVER EVER saw windows xp recognizing the other computer in Network Places or whatever.

I vowed never again to even think about using these "features" of Windows.

I use ftp for file transfers (ftp server on desktop).
Old 11-21-2008 | 10:14 PM

im just using socks's way of doing it. By using logmein.com
Old 11-21-2008 | 10:18 PM

you've got a firewall up. Zonealarm, comodo, or just windows firewall with no exceptions.

radu, really it's not that bad, in comparison to other os's I've worked with it's the best, there's a lot of factors going on with networking. workgroups is the least of the worries. To "see" the other people in your network places you need them but to have a functioning network it's not necessary.