Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Printing Wirelessly Through Network

Old 11-21-2008 | 04:44 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

Hey. So I am having trouble with my network. Heres what I am trying to do:

I have a laptop from school that is on the school's domain (MSOE). At home I have a desktop that is on a workgroup (MSHOME). I am trying to get my laptop to print from the printer that is connected to my desktop through my network. I have a wireless router wired to my desktop. I can get onto the wireless internet with no problem on my laptop. I already setup the desktop and printer for sharing so I can get to it on my laptop.

When I go to My Network Places, then Entire Network, then click on [/b]Microsoft Windows Network[/b], I can see the two networks (home desktop and school). Here comes my problem, when I go to open my home network, I get this error screen:

"Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. THE NETWORK PATH WAS NOT FOUND."

Anybody know what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Here is a screen shot of the error message.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r175/ba.../screenshot.jpg
Old 11-21-2008 | 05:02 PM

i get the same message now too.

i use to have it all set up were it would work but i cleaned out my laptop and now same thing happens to me
Old 11-21-2008 | 05:55 PM

did u ever figure out how to fix it? or know anyone who does?
Old 11-21-2008 | 05:58 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Try taking down all firewalls on local computers and changing your workgroup by right clicking my computer, click properties, go to the computer name tab and click change.
Old 11-21-2008 | 06:07 PM

by local computers do u mean the home desktop or both the desktop and my school laptop?

changeing the workgroup to what?
Old 11-21-2008 | 06:58 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

for my home and my dad's home, I could only get this type of setup to work:

Printer connected to computer 1 - hard wire (parallel or USB)
Laptop 2 on wireless internet, using the SAME workgroup as computer 1 above.
Control Panel -> Add Network Printer -> Select the printer

Works great for me, done it on two wireless networks. I have found it only works if the two computers are using the same workgroup, whatever that workgroup is.

Here's my home setup:
Desktop is in one room, connected to wireless router via CAT5 cable and printer connected via USB.
Laptop - connected to network via wireless card.
My desktop has to be turned on - the laptop will route the request through the desktop and print on the printer. The request will only be routed if they are using the same Workgroup.
Old 11-21-2008 | 07:19 PM

see i cannot switch my laptop to the same workgroup becuase then i cannot connect to my schools domain.
Old 11-21-2008 | 07:23 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

it only takes a minute to change the workgroup. You could always change your desktop to the other workgroup name. There's a way you can set up the infrastructure to handle multiple work groups, but I'm not sure how to do that without a windows server.
Old 11-21-2008 | 07:24 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

your workgroup shouldn't keep you from connecting to your school's domain... at least not that I'm aware of.

and if you can't change your laptop, change your desktop to match the workgroup that your school uses.
Old 11-21-2008 | 07:29 PM

my desktop uses a workgroup and my school laptop uses a domain. i dont think you can switch between a workgroup and domain only workgroup to workgroup or domain to domain.