Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Political Discussion - 2008 Presidential Race

Old 09-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'm not going to moderate your post, there's no need. You stated your beliefs properly. You mentioned the war, but that's fine. That's not what I was worried about; I just don't want it to turn into a bashing contest of our current president, because that's not the topic of this discussion.

Ron Paul is not a Republican. He's running on a Republican ticket because that's the only way he has a chance. He's a true Libertarian.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (stauf @ Sep 20 2007, 12:25 AM)
Sorry but the country was in good shape when he was in office. It's appauling to me that whenever you bring up Bill, some Rep brings up the bj. Sorry but imo, someone who can eat, get sucked and do his job well all at the same time needs a medal, not walking papers. What else gets me is how nobody ever brings up the fact that if any guy can get it, he will. If any woman wants to give it, she will.. Talk about hypocracy...

So those are my thoughts.. We're a million miles in the shitter now, surely there's only one way now and that's up...

As a side note. And this part may get nuked by mods but.. If the Dems win, our troops will come home, and when "they" have another attack ordered, it'll be blamed on the Dems instead of who's really to blame. If the Reps win, we continue to loose troops and our middle-class finally gets the tombstone made and set in place.

You're kidding me right? How was ANYTHING good under Bill "Blow Me" Clinton? Taxes were high, the military was limping along (I was in the service during his tenure), and the country was attacked how many times? It's HIS fault we are in the trouble we are in now. They send folks over here, bomb the trade center, bomb our embassies, and all he does is tomahawk a few tents in afganistan to make up for it? Somalia? Kosovo? He cut intel spending, leading to failures that caused 9/11. You tell me how ANYTHING was better under that shithead.

Also, how are we a million miles in the shitter? The economy is at it's highest point EVER. More folks own homes now than EVER. The unemployment rate is under 5%, our military is getting updated and safer equipment, and the attacks on us have STOPPED COLD. The fighting in this war is going on elsewhere, thank god, and because the rest of the world is TERRIFIED of the terrorists, they won't do anything.

WTF is this about "They" having another attack ordered? "They" who? Don't even try to start up that conspiracy theory bullshit here. There is a PRICE to pay for securing our freedom, it's ALWAYS been there to pay, and it occasionaly has to be REPAID. We've lost less than 5 THOUSAND troops in 6 years of war. 5 Thousand. Korea, we lost 54 THOUSAND in 3 years. In Vietnam, 57 Thousand in 11 years.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what acceptable losses are, and how they would have done things differently. Even the great Al Gore said he'd have done the same things after 9/11 with the same information.

And this all from an independent. I'm not a Republican, I'm for SURE not a Democrat (though my pick for president IS a Democrat this time, he won't make it, so I'll for sure vote against Billary Clinton). I just vote for who I see best for the country. Million miles in the shitter.

Whatever.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:45 PM

People's Hatred for Pres Bush is want I think could cause the Dems to win. But I also see the Rep base hatred for Hilliary keeping her from wining. They are no real winners to chose from and I think thats sad. For the Rep its who can beat Hilliary, and For the Dems is who's has the most money to buy there eletction.

To expand on what Redzman was saying lossing 5000 in 6 years is so small. We could not ask for any thing better. I was over there doing combat portal, convoys and such. The equiment we have save so meny lives. I have see humves blown to shit and my friends walk way. And let not forget the battle of the Somme where the brits lost 57,000 the FIRST day.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:20 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Elantra

Yada, yada, yada, Ron Paul. I do not agree with his views on abortion. I do agree with him on the environment, bringing the troops home, and the necessity of undoing the Patriot Act. He is the first candidate who consistently puts his money where his mouth is, and whose vision for this country is one mostly aligned with mine. Smaller, less intrusive government, simplified taxes, getting the police off people's backs. Not supporting corrupt dictators is a good thing, also. So is calling off the police dogs currently sicced upon the American public in the name of security. Just because America is an economic giant doesn't mean anything to a terrorist. He's recognized that, and is for using trade instead of force to get friends and influence. Utopian, yes. Libertarian, yes. I believe this country needs a period of soul-searching and cleaning out all the junk laws accumulated since the end of the Cold War. Ron Paul is the best chance to do that in my opinion. Please, debate.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Ron Paul's foreign policy scares me. It seems like he wants to stay out of any conflict with a "it doesn't affect us so don't get involved" attitude (sounds like WWII).

"Too often we give foreign aid and intervene on behalf of governments that are despised. Then, we become despised" (so do the popular thing globally, not nationally? follow France and Germany so they'll like us?)

I would like to give the CIA and our special forces a little more ability to do what's necessary. (reference the Glenn Beck interview with Navy Seal Luttrell)
Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

to add to redzman, don't forget who let Osama go free the first time around in 1993, Clinton. election was 2000 right? 9-11 couldn't be just planned within 1 year (2001) people forget. in 2000 the 9-11 pilots were still learning how to fly up and straight from Venice, Florida. So them learning had to be under Clinton's administration. It wasn't until Bush got elected that the attacks took place. The planning had already been in its finishing stages. 9-11 plot was discovered but the man who knew about it did not tell anybody.

i'll do anything to stop billary as well. come voting time i really don't have any idea who to vote for. it could mean the future of our country. we could get blown up, or we could seek political answer to the war. to me this war will be the longest lasting because if a presidential candidate has not done anything on his own will to help the war effort, then there is no new people that could do anything to fix it.

aren't these last three presidential elections wierd? i mean, Gore VS. Bush was the oddest and most set up win in history. Now we've got a Woman and African American and a war on everyone's hands. No candidate has much experience. I don't think i've ever heard of a situation this mixed up.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Administrator

anyone notice how many times the U.S. has successfully been attacked since 9/11/2001?

I think we're doing something right....
Old 09-20-2007, 08:42 PM

I dont think anyone from NorthWest Arkansas should be president ever again. It is good enough that they live in the number 1 best area in America. Just my opinion.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator

direct comparison of two candidates:

Favor abortion, Favors requirement of hiring more women and minorities, favor gay marriage, Opposes private SS ("one of the greatest inventions in American democracy"), Opposes absolute right to gun ownership, Favors illegal immigrants participating in Social Security, Opposes expansion of armed forces (all of which I disagree with)
Anyone care to guess who this describes? Highlight to find out!! Billary!

Against abortion, Favors requirement of hiring more women and minorities, against gay marriage, Favors privatizing of Social Security, Strongly favors absolute right to gun ownership, Voted YES on LIMITING welfare for immigrants, Strongly favors expansion of armed forces, Strongly favors stricter limits on political campaign funds (all but one of these I agree with)
Anyone care to guess who this describes? Highlight to find out!! it's FRED!

obtained my data from www.ontheissues.org
Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hahahah, everyone is using BILLARY now. I friggin love it!

Good points HKC. Good points all around. I also agree that law has gotten out of hand in the USA, and TINY special interest groups are tearing this country apart.