Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Political Discussion - 2008 Presidential Race

Old 09-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

The moderating team would like to open a thread to allow you to discuss the political issues in the news.

This is meant to discuss the Presidential Candidates, not our current President. Due to political issues, topics may flow into discussion of the war, but we're going to keep a sharp eye on this thread and issue warnings as we see fit.

This discussion will be watched heavily by the moderating team.

Restricted Topics:
    [*]Controversial Discussion of Current President (i.e., Bush is an idiot, we don't need to be in Iraq, etc.)[*]Controversial Discussion of the war or Iraq (see above)[/list]
    If you can't be involved in a mature debate, DO NOT POST.

Suggested Topics:
      [*]Any presidential candidate proposals, promises, arguments, accusations, and related news articles.[*]Announcements of those dropping out of the race, joining the race, or recent poll statistics[*]Posting voting dates, times, and results[/list]
Old 09-19-2007, 01:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

My topic of interest is, who do you think is BEST QUALIFIED to be president, and why?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

I thought I should post a list of the most popular candidates....

Democratic Candidates:
    [*]Joe Biden[*]Hillary Clinton[*]Chris Dodd[*]John Edwards[*]Mike Gravel[*]Dennis Kucinich[*]Barack Obama[*]Bill Richardson[/list]Republican Candidates:
      [*]Sam Brownback[*]Rudy Giuliani[*]Mike Huckabee[*]Duncan Hunter[*]John McCain[*]Ron Paul[*]Mitt Romney[*]Tom Tancredo[*]Fred Thompson[/list]To address Jeremy's question: I think John McCain or Rudy Giuliani have the best background and experience to be President, however, neither of them are quite my choice when I consider the issues.

http://www.ontheissues.org is a great site for voting history for any of the candidates.

http://www.speakout.com/VoteMatch/qu...?quiz=Pres2008 - Quiz to see where you stand on the issues compared to 2000 Presidential candidates (I guess they haven't updated that portion of the website).
      (my top matches were 58% with Bush, 40% with Cheney, 23% with Kerry, and 20% with Edwards)

and if you click the "Political Philosophy" button for the quiz, it marked me as:
      (80% Economic, 20% Social)
Old 09-19-2007, 03:22 PM

I personally think Bill Richardson and McCain are the 2 most qualified. Barak has NO experience that makes him a good candidate, and for Hillary, her only experience that makes her a good one is blowing the former president.

Guliani is a decent choice in my view, as he DOES act well under pressure, and his kids hate him, so he raised them right. From what I've seen, he did a good job of cleaning up NYC, and that's needed across this country.

Unfortunately, the ability of the USA's Citizens to FORGET how fleeting our freedom is, will almost guarantee a 2008 Democratic win, and get us stuck with someone NOT qualified, like Hillary. We will then turn our backs on most of our problems, hope they don't happen again, and everyone will b**** when we are attacked again, worse, and have to go back to places we just pulled out of, wasting money, and making a mockery of the country and the lives of the men and women that already died trying to do what is right.

Doing what is right is often a hard thing.

Unfortunately, the ability of the USA's Citizens to FORGET how fleeting our freedom is, will almost guarantee a 2008 Democratic win, and get us stuck with someone NOT qualified, like Hillary. We will then turn our backs on most of our problems, hope they don't happen again, and everyone will b**** when we are attacked again, worse, and have to go back to places we just pulled out of, wasting money, and making a mockery of the country and the lives of the men and women that already died trying to do what is right.

Doing what is right is often a hard thing.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Administrator

McCain and Thompson are my top two choices... I lean towards McCain because we need someone who is willing to put money into military and defense, and someone to reinstate a proper CIA. However, I like Thompson because he doesn't care what people say/think about him. He'll tell you straight up what's going on.

Fred Thompson responds to Michael Moore's Challenge: http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=611 (video)
^ ^ one of the biggest reasons I like Thompson. I want someone who will stand for what they believe, not go with whatever the popular thing is.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:38 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I don't really know who to vote for. I should probably educate myself more but in Maryland even if I take my time to do that it won't count because this is a democratic state anyways and people are going to vote for Hillary rich pesky snobby multi-millionaire who's accountant STOLE 1.3 sum million dollars in campaign donations, later was caught and the ****** acted like she didn't know. She also illegaly paid someone to publish her book. No governor while in office is to have anything published by law and she did. Then she made even more cash off some people who wanted to read her bullsh:t. I don't think America is ready to be run by a snob girl. If she was nice and had good comittment and a sweet person at heart but nope she's a weasel.

i think i'd vote for giulliani but i don't think he has a very long history. there are really no good choices, no heroes, no real leaders, nobody who emotionally and courageously wants to be devoted to bringing the world's most massive country to the best shape in history. if we don't have leaders who want to do that, then we have sneeky people who just do sh:t for the money and then disappear.

Obama looks like a fictional President from a movie like Mars Attacks, Air Force One, or Independance Day. laugh.gif
Old 09-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator

I'm going to vote for the person I think can beat Hillary.

I don't think McCain can do it... he's too controversial, especially with war. People don't want a war President right now (not until we get attacked again)
I don't think Giuliana can do it, he's not conservative enough. He leans too far left for the Republican vote.
I hope Fred can do it.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:24 PM

MajikTib: I think Giuliana can do it. He may be as conservative as Fred. But to the northeast. New york, jearsy ect, He is a Hero there and will vote for him. The South will not vote of Hillary. So a few of the weaker consevative state may fall to Haillary I think thos we would pick up in the east will push Giuliana for the win. (Giuliana & Fred ticket mabe smile.gif )
Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 PM

Ijust hope that Bill Richardson gets picked for VP. He's way too good.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:25 AM

I don't have much time so I'll make this quick.

I honestly don't like any of them. However, since one has to be picked.. The Republican choices are all bad except one. Now I'm not saying the Democrate choices are peachy either however there is one imo.

The way I see "politicians" is power hungry, greedy a-holes who care only about themselves, their bank accounts and their cronies. People are brainwashed into thinking everything is hunky-dory and everythings peachy. They believe what they see and hear in the papers and on the news in this country. Call me what you will, but the media in this country is not only force-fed, but it's all bs to make the typical american feel good, oh and stay scared. It's never the "truth", but what 'they' want you to see and hear.

I enjoy George Carlin's logic on most things. These two spring to mind everyday. "A person can be smart, but People are stupid" and "Fear is Control and Power" You can scare people into doing anything which is exactly what this country does. And because people as a group aren't that bright, it's easy to do and very effective.

So back to the canidates.. My pick: Reps: Ron Paul Dems: Hillary

Why you ask?

Ron Paul because he's probably the most 'true' Rep to ever be, and I think he has the right idea. Not to mention he's the 'only' Rep to ever get applause on Real Time with Bill Mahr. A marvel in itself.

Hillary, not because of Hillary, but because of Bill. I'll take Hillary to get Bill back. Sorry but the country was in good shape when he was in office. It's appauling to me that whenever you bring up Bill, some Rep brings up the bj. Sorry but imo, someone who can eat, get sucked and do his job well all at the same time needs a medal, not walking papers. What else gets me is how nobody ever brings up the fact that if any guy can get it, he will. If any woman wants to give it, she will.. Talk about hypocracy...

So those are my thoughts.. We're a million miles in the shitter now, surely there's only one way now and that's up...

As a side note. And this part may get nuked by mods but.. If the Dems win, our troops will come home, and when "they" have another attack ordered, it'll be blamed on the Dems instead of who's really to blame. If the Reps win, we continue to loose troops and our middle-class finally gets the tombstone made and set in place.