Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Perfect Pet?

Old 12-03-2002, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion I would get a bird. To be more exact, a parrot. I have a Sun Conure which is a small parrot. It's bright orange and yellow except for some trim of green on the wings and it's tail being green and morphs into cobalt blue at the tip. The average intelligence is compared to about a three to four year old kid. If you wanted one that talked I personally would get an African Grey. They are rated number one at talking are about the same intelligence as a five to six year old. Some have been known to even be able to carry on a conversation with their owners. If you have any more questions, give me a pm and I'll give you all the information I can.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:23 AM

I'm gonna agree with Useless on this one we have a Nanday Conure. Lots of fun! Poop is much friendlier to clean too wink
Old 12-03-2002, 10:33 AM

The poop IS much easier to clean up. Just look out for when they try to feed your fingers. It just means they like you. smile.gif
Old 12-03-2002, 01:20 PM

That dog is a chick magnet for sure but I still live at home and ma don't want no **** on the floor! A parrot is a cool idea. My cuz has one and he's a funny bird, it even plays dead. It also almost took my cousins out out a few times lol. He also paid over 1,000 dollar for it, which is OUCH! I think the Chamelon will be alright and if I get it I'll take pictures and post em!
Old 12-04-2002, 01:36 PM

True birds do get expensive. I paid $550 for the bird and another $330 for the cage. That African Grey I mentioned usually run about $1000- 1300. Or if you had the money you could buy a Hyacinth Macaw. For newly hatched birds expect to pat around $7,500 on up to around $15,000 for a mature bird ready for breeding. eek! eek!
Old 12-04-2002, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

AllBlackTibby:
Jack Russell = HUGE CHICK MAG!!

Here's a pic of mine
So does it work?

Do you get huge chicks?

wink
Old 12-04-2002, 09:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I have an 80 gallon tank with several carnivorous fish. Here is my Silver Arownana (Chinese Dragonfish):

http://members.tripod.com/~Raymond_Tan/silver.html

I also have one of these, a Clownknife:

http://community9.webshots.com/photo/74835...14146lyYJjZHFYm

Both of them grow to over 3' long and they are eating 3" goldfish. So far they are 18" at a year old.

They are freshwater and are extremely easy to maintain. The trouble is affording the tank at first. People always go straight to the tank when they enter my house and beg me to feed them. eek! I need to charge admission. And the best thing about them is NO PET DEPOSIT! tongue.gif

[ December 05, 2002, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: JonGTR ]
Old 12-04-2002, 11:20 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I'd be scared to have those fish in my house... even my cat would be scared...
Old 12-04-2002, 11:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

SuperGLS:
I'd be scared to have those fish in my house... even my cat would be scared...
I have an Albino Tiger Oscar that would bite your finger off. Snaps at me everytime I try to feed him. He hates me I guess. frown
Old 12-05-2002, 03:40 AM

The Jack Russell is like the dog on Fraiser, only I got a short legged Jack. They have the same personality as a Jack, but they know how to calm down.

As far as poop goes, thats what potty training is for. He has never once went potty in my house. It doesn't really take any extra effort to potty train a dog, just some know how and the right equipment. I used a kennel to train my dog and it worked great.

As far as parrots go, I have a Mollucan C o c k atoo and large birds are a lot of work, and can be very destructive. Larger hookbill birds like to destroy wood. Leave it alone for 10 minutes and it can chew clean through the leg of a coffee table. Leave it alone for 30 minutes and it can destroy all of the wood trim around a doorway. The food is expensive, it goes through perches like crazy, and to buy a cage he couldn't chew through cost about a grand (there were smaller options around 500 bucks.)
Birds are also bad if you have allergies, their dander will set them off.
However, if allergies aren't a problem, and your OK with the fact that no matter how hard you try they will destroy something, they are great.

They have great personalities and form strong, and sometimes dependent bonds with their owners. The down side to their intelligence and bonding is they know how to get what they want.

Red,

I take em all, huge chicks, thin chicks, in-between chicks.......it's all good.