Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Part 1 of vacation away from rain... FAIL!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 05 Hyundai Tiburon SE
Default Part 1 of vacation away from rain... FAIL!!!

So last night we got everything packed and set out so that all we had to do was get up ready and get in the car when the Carters would get to our place. First off we woke up at 4 am to shower and get ready. We get everything packed up and the Carters ended up showing up late. Not by alot but by enough. We hit traffic and road construction which put us even later to pick Luke up in Portland. We were about an hour behind. After we got Luke we stopped and got Carls JR for breakfast. We ate, went potty and loaded back up. We hit the road. Well we get three miles up the road and realize we were going the wrong direction from the way we wanted to go. We were headed the most direct and fastest way, but we wanted to go the more scenic way. So we get headed the right direction. I had taken a benadryl for my allergies and so I slept for about an hour or so. I woke up and we were in the sun, HOORAY!!!! It lasted for awhile but as we were approaching White Fir Agate Beds, we hit a massive thunderstorm. Which sucked big time! We sat in the car for about 10 minutes and it looked like it was going to lighten up. We got out and looked around and found some cool stuff, destroyed some rocks then it started again so we ended up heading back to the cars. We were hungry so we headed up the road to Mitchell to go to a little Cafe to eat. It was like 3ish and it was closed but there was another one just up the road. We get there and this was a massively small town 170 residents. We walked in and they about crapped when we said that we had 7 people in our group. It was fun to sit there and get to know the locals. We even got to chat with the mayor's husband. They have a black bear that was rescued as a cub and had been declawed so he could be returned to the wild. It was funny listening to the stories about him. We were told we could go and see him but we shouldn't put our face against his cage because he would slap the cage and we would get cut up. LOL!!! It was funny listening to him. So we ate and continued on, we got just a ways up the road and I realized I forgot my cell phone so we had to turn around and get it. We headed up to Fossil to see if we could go the the leaf fossil beds and find stuff to bring home, but when we got there it just PORED on us, so we decided we should get gas and double back to our hotel in John Day, OR. We go to the local gas station and guess what... THEY WERE CLOSED! It was 5 and they were closed. So we checked the GPS and in the little town of Condon,OR there were a couple of gas stations and it was just 16 miles up the road, since we were at 1/4 of a tank we had to get a move on. We drove the the worlds scariest town of Mayville, OR. There were two houses being lived in and about 7 that were run down and not habitable. It was just creepy!! When we got to Condon we drove by one gas station and they were closed but saw one that was open so we had to drive around the block to get to it and that was just creepy and screamed, "Crazies live here!!!" We go to get on the main road and we saw your typical crazy redneck. It was about a 1970s full-size pickup and a guy just leaned out and scouled at us. It was scary. (I know I'm a big chicken!!) We got gas and doubled back to head back to Fossil, but the thunderstorm had found us and we decided not to stop there and to continue to the hotel. The road had tight corners and high speeds and Zachary being a little guy started to get car sick we Jamey and Amy dove off the road and we turned around to see how bad it was. It wasn't too bad so we continued but then he was gonna get sick so we stopped again. This time we all went pee, and stretched it was nice to get out of the car for a bit. It was a welcomed break but at the same time we just wanted to get to the hotel. We then decided that we would continue to the hotel and if they had to stop then the would and then just catch up with us at the hotel. Not a lot happened.Just laughed at funny named things like Dick Creek. But we made it to the hotel and now its time to eat and sleep so we will continue our adventure tomorrow. Check back tomorrow for the rest of our adventure!!
Old 06-14-2009, 06:18 AM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

SOunds like fun. I was in a town that sounds similar to the one you went through. Except it was in GA.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 AM

Vehicle: 2004 hyundai tiburon

That sounds like so much fun.......I wanna go next time!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:30 PM

Vehicle: 05 Hyundai Tiburon SE

QUOTE(sharkrocket @ Jun 14 2009, 07:53 AM)
That sounds like so much fun.......I wanna go next time!!!!!!!

Sorry, we would have invited you but it was kinda last minute and we didn't know what you would be into doing. It was a super long trip, for 36 hours. But we will be sure to invite you there is sure to be lots more trips like this.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It was 938 miles and 20 hours 4 minutes of driving time according to Google Maps.

There are some unforgettable moments though, plus it was great to see endlessmike again.